Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I had the chance to watch Shazam a couple of days ago. Although the DC Extended Universe has thus far been a mixed-bag as far as quality is concerned, I found Shazam to be among the more watchable among them. It's a controversial opinion, but Batman v. Superman is actually my favorite in the series of films, simply because it delivers a fan-service I was satiated by. Wonder Woman is the most coherent and well-executed, but I found that Batman v. Superman shot higher and swallowed its own tail, whereas Wonder Woman only aimed for the middle and stuck the landing. Shazam is a little like Wonder Woman in that respect. The humor is charming and sentimental, and it's very standard and conventional. It isn't among the heavy-hitters of a crowded genre, but it's a quiet delight.

By the way, first post in about a year...

Snooze factor = Z

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I do have issues with Tim Burton's dark and grisly film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's groundbreaking 1979 Broadway musical that won nine Tony Awards. Sondheim's score has been tampered with, but Burton makes up for it partially by fleshing out the title character's backstory in a way it wasn't onstage and honestly, there are portions of the score that just wouldn't have worked in a movie. I initially had reservations when I first heard that Johnny Depp had been cast in the title role, but fears were assuaged immediately...his beautifully internalized performance totally works and I also realized that singing in the movie was not going to require the operatic-style baritone that Len Cariou brought to the Broadway stage. Definitely had issues with Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett though...the character is pretty much comic relief in the stage piece and Burton and Carter sucked all the humor out of the character in a piece that was in serious need of comic relief. I always thought bringing this musical to the screen would have been impossible, but Burton did a credible job and as I mentioned in my original review, I have never seen blood so red.

It's a good movie, John Hughes gets several moments of magic with the characters but tonally something just feels off with it.
I've always felt this movie was severely underrated...Candy's performance has some real meat to it.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Into the Ashes (Aaron Harvey, 2019)

I was surprised by this drama (coming out tomorrow). The film revolves around an ex-con who is starting his life over by working as a grocer and is happily married to the sheriff's daughter. However, when he and his new BFF go on a hunting trip, his past returns to haunt him when his former associate gets out of prison and kills his wife in retaliation for the money he stole upon his release. Luke Grimes and Frank Grillo churn out really excellent performances with Robert Taylor's sheriff acting a conscience for Grimes' ex-con.

Mandy (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)

Le Mépris (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)
(Cinema)

One of my favourite ever films was showing at a local cinema, where is was fantastic to watch with its use of color and score. I'll proably write more about this soon.

Book of Eli (2010)

A friend of mine recommended this, so I thought I would give it a shot despite my lack of religious beliefs. It's got Denzel and Mila Kunis after all. I wanted to give this a lower rating, but it's actually pretty engaging. The twist at the end is pretty far fetched though.

i'm still here - 2010

don't know what this is
two actors decided they have enough status to troll everyone?

where the buffalo roam - 1980

not even close to the sucessor (in my opinion)
bill murray was nice, depp was more theatrical
i probably prefer depp, was easier to empathize

only lovers left alive - 2013

thank you jim for saving the night
the movie beginnings were marvelous to me
the remarks on past figures were fun to imagine
liked especially how jim caught detroit

'An American Crime' (2007)

The true story of the horrific murder and torture of Sylvia Likens. Not an easy watch at all. Some gruesome scenes. A young Ellen Page is quite good as Likens and Catherine Keener plays the evil Gertrude Baniszewski. The true story is arguably even more horrific.

The big problem I have is a dream sequence towards the end of the film. It didn't work at all, especially as there is another dream like sequence to end the film, which is done really well.

Other than that it's a fairly decent film about a shocking case.

6.6/10

Fig Leaves (Howard Hawks, 1926)
+
Modestly entertaining even if it is a relatively simple story dressed up with frills and padding

Unregistered User
@the samoan lawyer is this true?
by the way, planning on watching this movie for so long

Sorry Joao, only logging on now. Its a pretty difficult question. Both really good performances and both great films although I do like Fear and Loathing better. Murray's interpretation is a bit more 'normal' whilst Depp's is quite exaggerated, which was intended. You do have to keep in mind that Fear is directed by Gilliam so the performances and film as a whole were always going to be totally different to Linson's. If you don't mind taking a trip through surreal-world Vegas, you'll enjoy Fear more I reckon.

Make a better place
'An American Crime' (2007)

The true story of the horrific murder and torture of Sylvia Likens. Not an easy watch at all. Some gruesome scenes. A young Ellen Page is quite good as Likens and Catherine Keener plays the evil Gertrude Baniszewski. The true story is arguably even more horrific.

The big problem I have is a dream sequence towards the end of the film. It didn't work at all, especially as there is another dream like sequence to end the film, which is done really well.

Other than that it's a fairly decent film about a shocking case.

6.6/10

a great movie , I loved it
I remember reading about the real story in wikipedia after watching the movie, it was one of the very few things in life that shock me.
I don;t want to say more not spoil anything, just try and read about it in wiki (if you have the heart to do so)

Unregistered User

Paranoid Park (2007)

Fair play to cast and crew here, there's a real quality about the film that's difficult for me to pick up on. Wont be for everyone and it will pick up the 'pretentious' tag but I found it quite moving.

Midsommar (2019)

Lush film that has some really stunning scenery. The performances are great, especially Pugh who will likely continue to get big roles and based on this, she deserves it. I absolutely loved the hallucinogenic scenes in it and overall, its a film that will stay with you. Probably not as disturbing as I was expecting. Is this because almost all the scenes are during the day? Anyway, I'm still a fan and already am looking forward to what Aster has planned next.

Sidenote:- Anyone think Jack Reynor is like a younger, slimmer Seth Rogan in this?

a great movie , I loved it
I remember reading about the real story in wikipedia after watching the movie, it was one of the very few things in life that shock me.
I don;t want to say more not spoil anything, just try and read about it in wiki (if you have the heart to do so)
Yeah I read it this morning - which is why I said that the real life story is perhaps even more upsetting. A truly horrendous case. Poor, poor girl.