18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Thanks for the write-up, Citizen! Though I find it hard to figure out how you liked it.

You can be honest with me, just know that. If you thought it was **** you go ahead and say so. I know it doesn’t sound like you thought that, but you know what I mean.
Anyways, I didn’t expect this film to be up your lane, so I’m glad if you got something out of it at least.

Thanks for the write-up, Citizen! Though I find it hard to figure out how you liked it.

You can be honest with me, just know that. If you thought it was **** you go ahead and say so. I know it doesn’t sound like you thought that, but you know what I mean.
Anyways, I didn’t expect this film to be up your lane, so I’m glad if you got something out of it at least.
I think I liked it? Hard to say though with this movie. I did really feel the runtime. Now, I do love a slow, introspective film and The Square is my type of film. I enjoyed the world it showed and the way it showed it...But damn it was so slow that it tried my patience. A good 30-45 minutes could have been cut out and the film would have been a favorite of mine. As it is, I really don't know how I feel. I appreciate it, but had a real hard time getting through it. So basically the enigma of my review is my enigma of my own opinion

I think I liked it? Hard to say though with this movie. I did really feel the runtime. Now, I do love a slow, introspective film and The Square is my type of film. I enjoyed the world it showed and the way it showed it...But damn it was so slow that it tried my patience. A good 30-45 minutes could have been cut out and the film would have been a favorite of mine. As it is, I really don't know how I feel. I appreciate it, but had a real hard time getting through it. So basically the enigma of my review is my enigma of my own opinion
I see, hah that's interesting. But yeah, I do agree the movie is too long. It's a shame because I remember when I saw it the first time I absolutely loved it through the first hour and the next hour I loved all the different directions it took, while as we entered the last 30 minutes I definitely began feeling the length, wishing the director would have known when to stop.

18th Hall of Fame
Road to Perdition

’Road to Perdition’ is somewhat of a road to participation in Sam Mendes’ glossier and more polished gangster drama, which does indeed seem to shoot straight out the pages of the graphic novels. I had no problem accepting the world that Sam Mendes creates here, yet the criminal underworld does feel overly formal and comes off as too fine of a company at times, though perhaps intentional in places – especially considering the obvious modern noir vibe and the coming of age story of the son, who view this vile world from the sidelines. A different take on the genre is definitely welcomed and as stated I accepted it from the start…

I liked all the actors present, though no one really made me feel their presence outside of maybe Hanks and Law. Craig was good at being a slimy bastard and Newman as the old man and up-top organization leader did equally well, though both remained impressive only in their abilities as an actor, rather than with the, admittedly, restricted characters, which is perhaps the reason they don’t really resonate with me. However, I can’t necessarily blame them. Though it could be the directing, I suspect it is the writing that is to blame. I guess the limitations of the feel-good gangster drama takes the wheel here, though the motor running it is clearly the boy – who also opens and ends this story – which would explain the intention of the film and the lesser focus on the surrounding players.

WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
I feel like the story is mostly pretty straight forward, but I do like the arc of Hanks’ character, who seems distanced to his family but deeply dedicated to his job; these two things slowly change sides throughout the story, ending in his own death. While I’m fine with the ending being nicely folded together by a sentimental voice-over, I’m not necessarily a fan of the predictable and rather perplexing ending at the beach house. While my comments on the character’s arc above could be one way of explaining either his sudden unawareness or his purposely “necessary” sacrifice to the criminal world, I still think it to be weird that Hanks would just “forget” about the killer hunting him earlier. Again, it could be one of the two previously mentioned reasons, as to why he ended up dead and thereby didn’t “forget”. But honestly, I doubt it. The film isn’t exactly subtle throughout, so why should it suddenly become so? Therefore, I feel it is completely out of character for Hanks to suddenly “forget” about the killer or think it is all over because he killed almost everybody, including the man that had him on contract.

Anyways, I do like this film even so and together with the opening and ending monologue everything ties nicely together in this little tragic tale of man raised in crime, who doesn’t want his own son to go down the same road. There are interesting things going on, either under the surface or hinted at in certain scenes, but for this to be a hit it should have dived deeper into the conflicts and fleshed out the characters. The story and characters aren’t quite captivating enough throughout and when Hanks tells his son about his regrets and inner conflicts it makes me miss more of such scenes through the entire film. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this movie even the second time around, despite its problems…

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
[center]18th Hall of Fame
Road to Perdition

WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
I feel like the story is mostly pretty straight forward, but I do like the arc of Hanks’ character, who seems distanced to his family but deeply dedicated to his job; these two things slowly change sides throughout the story, ending in his own death. While I’m fine with the ending being nicely folded together by a sentimental voice-over, I’m not necessarily a fan of the predictable and rather perplexing ending at the beach house. While my comments on the character’s arc above could be one way of explaining either his sudden unawareness or his purposely “necessary” sacrifice to the criminal world, I still think it to be weird that Hanks would just “forget” about the killer hunting him earlier. Again, it could be one of the two previously mentioned reasons, as to why he ended up dead and thereby didn’t “forget”. But honestly, I doubt it. The film isn’t exactly subtle throughout, so why should it suddenly become so? Therefore, I feel it is completely out of character for Hanks to suddenly “forget” about the killer or think it is all over because he killed almost everybody, including the man that had him on contract.
I've really enjoyed reading the varying reviews of my nom with pluses and minuses!

WARNING: "speaking of the ending" spoilers below
I do feel pretty similar it and remember feeling it being sort of "off" the first time I saw this. Thinking it was a shout out to the old Hays Restrictions that "bad guys get caught or die in a film" or simply put there to give the ending more of a punch.
After a few more watches I do see how, Hank's character, taking a moment to just breathe, watching his son on the beach could be taken unaware by Jude Law's character sitting in waiting for him.
We all let our guard down, hoping the worst is behind us, even when it isn't. Simple human fallibility, I'm afraid.

I've really enjoyed reading the varying reviews of my nom with pluses and minuses!

WARNING: "speaking of the ending" spoilers below
I do feel pretty similar it and remember feeling it being sort of "off" the first time I saw this. Thinking it was a shout out to the old Hays Restrictions that "bad guys get caught or die in a film" or simply put there to give the ending more of a punch.
After a few more watches I do see how, Hank's character, taking a moment to just breathe, watching his son on the beach could be taken unaware by Jude Law's character sitting in waiting for him.
We all let our guard down, hoping the worst is behind us, even when it isn't. Simple human fallibility, I'm afraid.
WARNING: "more ending talk" spoilers below
Yeah that was also what I kind of wrote in the review. That being with his son has taken the focus away from work more and more and actually ends up being the reason he is off guard and gets killed. But there is still things that don’t make sense to me and definitely feels like it’s heavy on the “ending needs a punch”. Like having all this go back to bite him and so we can have the father-son moment where the son doesn’t pull the trigger and thereby doesn’t end up as his father.

But a good nom nonetheless. I definitely think people should see it. And I can see a lot of people loving it. A lot already do.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WARNING: "more ending talk" spoilers below
Yeah that was also what I kind of wrote in the review. That being with his son has taken the focus away from work more and more and actually ends up being the reason he is off guard and gets killed. But there is still things that don’t make sense to me and definitely feels like it’s heavy on the “ending needs a punch”. Like having all this go back to bite him and so we can have the father-son moment where the son doesn’t pull the trigger and thereby doesn’t end up as his father.

But a good nom nonetheless. I definitely think people should see it. And I can see a lot of people loving it. A lot already do.
very well put!
And THANK YOU!

I ended up not watching anything over the weekend because I got distracted with a project, but I'm going to try to at least get Brimstone and The Square watched this weekend so I can take them back to the library.

Holy sh*t that was fast!

I ended up not watching anything over the weekend because I got distracted with a project, but I'm going to try to at least get Brimstone and The Square watched this weekend so I can take them back to the library.
Going for 2 two and a half hour films! Damn gurl!

I got Brimstone from the library, but didn't have time to watch it and had to return it... so I'll have to get it again some other time.

Holy sh*t that was fast!
I usually watch a movie a night, so it's not hard for me to knock em out. Plus I like to get the DVDs back to the library.

But ya guys won't get rid of me that easy I'll be around reading post and reviews

Good noms everyone!

18th Hall of Fame
The King of Comedy

Being the king of creepiness shouldn’t at all be a compliment, but with ‘The King of Comedy’, Martin Scorsese schools us yet again, staging another unsettling insight into the mind of a sociopath, proving that being a cab driver or deranged comedian is – or at least can be – one and the same. Robert De Niro as Rupert Pupkin is the most uncomfortable, unnerving and unbalanced individual resembling a human being I have seen in a long time. He lacks a lot of what makes a being human, but what he misses in that department he makes up for in intelligence – and that’s what makes him so freaking frightening. He is too polite, too pushy and too pandering to the point of supreme psycho-pathetic extremity.

This level of weirdly sympathetic but preposterous, psychopathic behavior in a character only ever comes once a decade – or maybe even less – within cinema. De Niro creates an unmatched deranged dexterity that really draws me in and takes me out of my comfort zone; and I don’t like it! Or maybe it’s more likely that I just don’t like that I like it. F_ck… maybe I’m the crazy person here. Anyways, Martin Scorsese really is the master and you might ask “at what” and I might say “at everything”. Because, if there is someone in cinema that can change his genres like he changes his underwear, then it has to be Scorsese. That man has proved time and time again that he can still surprise you and surprise me he did.

No wonder it bombed at the box office or was butchered by the audience at the time – no one was ready for the ravage one of the greatest cinematic duos of our time was about to pull off. People were feeling like they were being pulled off, but perhaps they just didn’t take their time to pull over and think for a second before they dubbed it a cinematic wreck. People just weren’t ready to get so uncomfortable in their comfortable seats eating away at their popcorn while Scorsese served up a moral pop quiz. No one wanted to follow a f_cked up human being like Pupkin so closely, but not looking closely would make you lose track of the greatness within. There is so much to take away from this movie I don’t know what to talk about here, honestly.

WARNING: "ending spoilers" spoilers below
I know Scorsese didn’t write the script, but he really picks movies that has those monumental endings, which pulls the rug from under you and let the curtain fall before you have time to digest it. Scorsese is like a cinematic con artist, playing tricks on our minds and morals. I loved how the ending of ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ made us ashamed and disgusted at ourselves for having such a great time with such a grim person for three hours straight. In ‘The King of Comedy’ we smile awkwardly as Rupert Pupkin succeeds in his quest to become a great comedian… for one night only. And Scorsese continues to implement the backstory of our main character into the comedy within the comedy. We sympathize with this sick bastard somehow and even when he gets out of jail after serving time for his wrongdoings, people still cheer him on. I mean, I cheered him on… I think.

This is a disgusting, uncomfortable, uncompromising look into a mind we don’t belong in, but in a world we do live in. Things like fandom, stardom, obsession, mental states, media culture and crime are just some of the themes that gets air time in this De Niro Show, directed by Martin Scorsese (no really, he was the director of the show within the show also, in a lovely little cameo)… and we are going to end off in his words, because while disturbing, “I actually think it’s pretty funny…”

@MovieMeditation - very engaging review of KOC..."cock",... ridiculous. Sorry.

I appreciate how passionate you are about such a messed up movie. This is what can be done with a PG rating. Do they do it anymore? I haven't seen it. Scorsese. Just when you think nothing of particular interest...you remember his hidden gems like KOC and maybe a portion of After Hours.

@MovieMeditation - very engaging review of KOC..."cock",... ridiculous. Sorry.

I appreciate how passionate you are about such a messed up movie. This is what can be done with a PG rating. Do they do it anymore? I haven't seen it. Scorsese. Just when you think nothing of particular interest...you remember his hidden gems like KOC and maybe a portion of After Hours.
Movie is messed up for sure. A messed up masterpiece...

I still have After Hours waiting for me, so maybe Scorsese will surprise me once again

I still have After Hours waiting for me, so maybe Scorsese will surprise me once again
He should is my guess. It has its lulls, but it's a good time, ...a fiendish and obsessive time...almost boring and despairing...but it ties up nice imo. It's a perfect little refinished basement/bigscreen projection laserdics type of film. Snacks, additives, etc...tired eyes, willingness to observe kind of movie.

...I still have After Hours waiting for me, so maybe Scorsese will surprise me once again
After Hours was Raul's nom in the Second Chance Hof. Most in that Hof didn't seem to like it, but I thought it was pretty darn cool.