18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'd also be cool with MM joining.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Bubba Ho-Tep (Don Coscarelli; 2002)

This was a pretty fun movie. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davies were both quite fun to watch and I feel that they both played their characters quite well. The plot was quite unique and the film was able to keep me interested throughout its entire runtime. The film worked quite well as a comedy and provided consistent laughs although I would've liked to have seen the horror elements be expanded on a bit more. Overall though this was a fun ride and I had a good time watching it.

T
he Road to Perdition (2002)

Another fine nom in this HoF! I seen this some 15 years ago and I always remembered that I liked it, and that's saying a lot as I must have watched many 1000s of movies since then. I didn't remember the story line, but I did remember the 'feel' of the film. To me a film's ambiance is as important as the story. I just love the slower, more relaxed style of film making which permeates the film. That style might seem like an odd choice for a gangster film, but that introspective view is what makes The Road to Perdition something special. I actually prefer this to The Godfather.

Anytime Tom Hanks is in a movie I usually like it! The guy knows how to pick good film projects. I've not seen all of his film and not seen the other nom with him in it, but I've seen enough of Tom Hanks to know it's close to a sure thing that if he's in a film I'm going to like it.

There might be a story element in the film that I could say I would have done differently, but I'm starting to learn that no film is perfect and it's what a person makes of the experience that matters.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	51330  

Sorry @Citizen Rules but our tastes don't match this time either

Abandon Ship (1957) N

A luxury liner hits a mine and sinks. Small group of survivors on a lifeboat waits for rescue.

Couldn't resist this image

For most of the film Abandon Ship is very formal and orderly theater at sea. People speak one at a time and always correctly address each other. While I often dislike how in modern films such groups are at each others throats after a few minutes (as realistic as it may be) this one takes it too far to the other extreme.

The actual drama starts surprisingly late and isn't too engaging. I must say that I don't necessary agree with all of the captain's choices about the people to keep and I certainly don't agree with the reactions of some people who were chosen to stay. On a positive side at least the worst hypocrisy wasn't there (i.e. I was expecting the captain to die as a penance for his "horrible crime").

Overtly theatrical acting and melodramatic dialogue takes the edge off the drama. There's too many characters and it's hard to care about anyone in particular. Soundtrack was truly annoying. I didn't expect much so can't I say I was disappointed - Abandon Ship just isn't my type of movie.

And our 12 nomination is our first Foreign Language nom winner of the Palme D'Or

The Square

Who nominated that? Glad it is nominated though cause been wanting to see it for a while now.

I sat this one out as I'm trying to focus on horror and new releases right now. Seen 6 of 12 and it looks like a pretty wide open race.
I might as well sit future HoFs out as pahaK is just going to hate every single nom I ever choose, there's just no way any of my noms have a chance of winning. Not that winning is a big deal but I'm loosing interest.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I might as well sit these HoFs out as pahaK is just going to hate every single nom I ever choose, there's just no way any of my noms have a chance of winning. Not that winning is a big deal but I'm loosing interest.
I wouldn't let that bother you. Miss Vicky usually hates mine.

@Siddon

Are we getting an extension on the deadline since there are now 12 films to watch? I usually finish way early anyway, but just in case.

I might as well sit these HoFs out as pahaK is just going to hate every single nom I ever choose, there's just no way any of my noms have a chance of winning. Not that winning is a big deal but I'm loosing interest.
I think he usually dislikes many of them and has a low rating scale anyway.