Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
It's one of those films where what I enjoy most is seeing all the little cameos from actors like Alan Badel and "Hello I'm Derek" Jacobi .

I really tried, but it just doesn't work for me

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

1/5

I couldn't finish it as it was so boring
How it has happened it is classic movie?

I just saw this movie.. I usually don't like assassination movies, but I gave this one a 7.5 or an 8.. The lead character was interesting, but I think they could have cut 20 minutes of it easily.

Waterworld (1995)

Watched the Ulysses Cut for the first time and still liked the film. Standard post-apocalyptic movie in unique settings and with good production values.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I just saw this movie.. I usually don't like assassination movies, but I gave this one a 7.5 or an 8.. The lead character was interesting, but I think they could have cut 20 minutes of it easily.
So this time I can't agree with you, matt I would cut more than 2 hours. I was waiting, when finally something would happen and I didn't live to see it.

“I was cured, all right!”
Good cover – I haven't seen it before. It's almost like the 'M' is haunting him, or part of his hallucinations.
I really like the cover too — Criterion covers rocks —
WARNING: "M" spoilers below
This is the scene when he realized he's marked with the letter M in his coat.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Un Jour, Un Destin : Patrick Dewaere, le Dernier Jour- 10/10

One of my favorite actors. Killed himself and was buried about 30 hours before I was born. Just like his last movie (where he kills himself).

I really like the cover too — Criterion covers rocks —
WARNING: "M" spoilers below
This is the scene when he realized he's marked with the letter M in his coat.
Ah, I see:

WARNING: spoilers below
I didn't remember that moment so I thought the designer had superimposed a 'hand drawn' M on his shoulder, and Lorre was just looking at his own reflection in the original still. Still like it .

7.5/10.
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one.
Great car chase scenes, and a really cool silver car which I've learned is a Ferrari 458 Spider.
I loved this movie too...I think a rated it a little but higher than you did.

Halloween (2018)

+

It has it's moments but my thought was why did they even bother. It felt corny knowing I was just waiting for the final showdown with Jamie Lee. I don't think it was notable for anything.
I thought it was ok but kinda disappointing, I'll elaborate more in my next Movie Tab post.

1/5

I couldn't finish it as it was so boring
How it has happened it is classic movie?
Disagree on this one Ms. M. A slow-burner for sure but intriguing.

Burning (Beoning) 2018

Some nice acting from 'Glenn', he portrayed a very convincing and charismatic character. A shorter run time would have benefited this film imo.

Weird is relative.
The Secret Life of Bees (2008)

Nice untaxing movie about a runaway that ends up living in a haven at Miss Augusts Bee Keeping farm. There's honestly nothing wrong with this film on paper apart from it's really 1 dimensional. Even the usually reliable Paul Bettany is criminally underused. I think it tried to put too many ingredients in and hope for the best from the actors. 5/10
It was based on a book and stays pretty true to it.

So, the fault then would lie with the writer?

I watched it about a decade ago (and read the book beforehand), and thought it was just okay. The novel was probably a better read than watching it, but only if you're into that sort of subject matter.

Basically, whether in the theatre, or some old movie that you rented or saw on TV, if you've seen it lately, post it here.

BAD TASTE 8/10

Broken Flowers 8/10
Red River 8/10. An excellent film with terrific performances by the leads. It's just a shame about the ending.

Green Book
(2018)
It’s a sure fire indication of a weak field when a shaky film such as Green Book finds itself in serious consideration within a number of Academy Award top categories. Hollywood has put excellence in story telling on the back burner for the past few years in favor of promoting its own fashionable social causes. Now, just in case there are folks who haven’t been to a movie since 1960, the writers of Green Book endeavor to show us that there was deep racial prejudice against blacks in the U.S., most especially in the South.

The story creates an account of one of America’s premier pianists named Don Shirley, a black man, who embarked on a year-plus concert tour in 1962, of which many dates were in the South. Because of racist violence against Nat King Cole at a concert in Alabama in 1960, Shirley hired Tony “Lip” Vallelonga --a mob friendly Italian who worked at Manhattan’s Copacabana night club-- to be his driver and bodyguard.

Beyond these basic facts the story is completely fictionalized. To their credit, the producers announced in the opening credits that the film was “inspired by a true story”. “Inspired by” means that the Shirley/Vallelonga tour gave them an idea for a story. Unfortunately in the film version, the tour was shrunk to two months, and was made to end just before Christmas so that Tony could return home to be with his family, and to set up a dramatic ending. In Hollywood fashion Tony and Don soon became buds, yet in true life Shirley’s brother stated that Don never considered Tony a friend, but only an employee who he required to wear a chauffer’s uniform and a cap. And there are no reports of racial incidents on the tour. Presumably the pair did make use of the “The Negro Motorist Green-Book” (actual title) in selecting their safe accommodations.

This is certainly not the first time Hollywood has made up an entire story based on an actual event, and in fact there probably have been more fictionalized movie accounts than not. But while watching the film the question kept coming up: what was this film’s point of view? And whose story were they trying to portray? Certainly they were going for both entertainment and social justice value; but after the many dozens of movies dealing with black/white racial issues over the past 60 years, the back story of the Jim Crow South was not a shocker.

At least since 1958, with The Defiant Ones, then Patch of Blue, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, on through Driving Miss Daisy, even Forrest Gump, along with scores of others since, have thoroughly explored and displayed the subject of prejudice against mixed race pairings, and in prejudice in general. Yet in Green Book we are treated to the corniest scenes of southern boobs dishing out the rankest forms of racial derision in such hackneyed form that it bordered on satire. One half expected to see Sheriff Buford T. Justice appear.

If the film’s title and subject matter were any indication that the focus was on Don Shirley, his beliefs, and his quest to endure a music tour of the South, then it came as a surprise that the thrust of the story put most of the emphasis on Tony Lip: his background, his actions, his philosophy, his awakening. Reportedly this was not lost on Shirley’s relatives, who resented the depiction of their family relationships, along with the emphasis put on Tony Lip.

The chief disappointment in the film was the writing. Director Peter Farrelly is known for wacky comedies, and this was his first foray into drama. He participated in the scripting with a sophmore writer, Biran Currie, along with Tony Vallelongas’s son Nick. Tony Lip’s part was the better of the two in construction, and Viggo Mortensen brought in an award winning quality performance. There must have been indecision about scripting Don Shirley’s part. In an attempt to give the character too many facets, the result was a personality who was all over the map, which must have made it a difficult continuity project for the actor. In his defense Mahershala Ali stated that he’d liked to have met with Shirley’s family in order to provide a more nuanced character. Still, what he did well, he did really well. Of particular note was his portrayal of piano playing. He’d worked with composer Kris Bowers until he really appeared to be playing the difficult piano pieces.

Despite its anachronistic nature, heftier writers with a different approach could have made this story into a more interesting film.

Doc’s rating: 5/10

I saw Black Klansman this weekend. It was hard to watch all the hate, but I'm so glad I saw it. Can't say enough about Spike Lee. He should win Best Director in the Oscars this year. I was so impressed with how he told the story and the actors who he chose. A+