Award Predictions

Tools    

Ok, I know awards season is still a few months away, but why not make predictions based on the movies that have come out and movies still to be released on who or what will win at the Oscars.

Possible Best Picture nominees are The Old Man & the Gun, Boy Erased, A Star is Born, The Hate U Give, The Mule, and First Man.

I think A Star is Born has a big chance of winning the top prize. Bradley Cooper will get nominated for Best Director. Lady Gaga will nab a Best Actress nomination.

I think it's safe to say Robert Redford will be winning every Best Actor award this awards season for The Old Man & The Gun, considering it's his final acting performance and has never won an award for acting before, so he should have the Oscar in the bag.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

This might just do nobody any good.
What’s the supporting actor competition this year? From where I’m standing, Sam Elliott’s looking like a guarantee.

Welcome to the human race...
Still a ways off, I would think, but I'd be skeptical of Redford winning because of how they don't always reward the seemingly obvious "legacy" role (see Stallone in Creed, for example).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Glenn Close for The Wife.

I thought Rupert Everett was very good as Oscar Wilde in the Happy Prince and several of the supporting actors as well, but I imagine it will be overlooked by awards ceremonies.

A lot of nominations for A Star Is Born I should think.

What’s the supporting actor competition this year? From where I’m standing, Sam Elliott’s looking like a guarantee.
Sam's a guaranteed win for me.

A Star is Born will also be winning Best Song for The Shallow. Powerful song if you ask me. Gaga's voice is amazing. And Bradley CAN sing! They blow it out of the park.

Still a ways off, I would think, but I'd be skeptical of Redford winning because of how they don't always reward the seemingly obvious "legacy" role (see Stallone in Creed, for example).
You got a point. I still think Stallone was robbed of that Oscar.
But when you think of it, Christopher Plummer won his first Oscar at an old age for Beginners. Redford could be the next Plummer. And the fact this is his final performance will get Academy members on his side.

I watched Bad Times at the El Royale. I can see a some actors getting nominations in that film, particularly Cynthia Erivo as the struggling soul singer. She delivered the best performance of the whole cast. Jeff Bridges might get a nomination for his role, too.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't possible, just improbable.

I don't know about Bad Times getting any kind of major awards attention, but Erivo is certainly the standout - that being said, I would hazard a guess that if she gets acknowledged for a film it's more likely to be because of Widows.

Yeah, I was gonna say Erivo’s awards break would be Widows which I just remembered has gotten lots of buzz for Daniel Kaluuya, Brian Tyree Henry and Robert Duvall. So there’s me answering my question.

Haven't seen Widows yet, but will definitely be checking it out.

I forgot about The Black Klansman. Definitely a Best Picture contender. Spike Lee deserves to win Best Director. Adam Driver will be up for Best Supporting Actor. He was terrific in the movie.

The Green Book is another film that looks like an Oscar darling. I expect acting award nominations for both Viggo and Marshalla.

Elliott should definitely be nomination...long overdue for an Oscar this guy.

I agree that Bradley Cooper is a lock for a Best Director nomination. I think he might win too.

Bradley Cooper is going to end up with at least 4 maybe 5 Oscar noms for A Star is Born. Their is a very good chance that A Star Is Born is going to have a Ben Hur/All about Eve/Titanic/Return of the King type night

Bradley Cooper is going to end up with at least 4 maybe 5 Oscar noms for A Star is Born. Their is a very good chance that A Star Is Born is going to have a Ben Hur/All about Eve/Titanic/Return of the King type night
Yup, 2018 is definitely Bradley Cooper's year, and A Star is Born will be a big winner.

Aside from Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Original Song nomination, Bradley could also get nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Mule.

Speaking of The Mule, Eastwood for Best Director and Best Actor?

The Vice is another Oscar darling. I expect nominations for Bale (Best Actor), Rockwell (Best Supporting Actor), Carrell (Best Supporting Actor), Best Picture, and Best Director (McKay)

What are your predictions for Best Actress and Supporting Actress?

For now I have Lady Gaga (Actress), and Cynthia Erivo (Supporting Actress).

First Man is the other big player this year and I can see an upset (if one can even call it that) in the best director category with Chezelle. Gosling's guaranteed a nomination but Claire Foy is the one to look out for in either leading or supporting actress categories. Cinematography and score should be in the bag (I'd a been ready to give the latter to it based off of Justin Hurwitz incredible "Landing" track.)