Simon Pegg Day

Tools    

On October 28th, 2011, Simon Pegg broke our site.

Pegg had a friend who was a comic book writer, and he'd Photoshopped one of his works into a picture of President Obama holding a stack of books, as some kind of half-joke/half-PR move. He posted it to this site (apparently he tried to do it somewhere else first and was banned).

Back then, this site was hosted by a friend of mine on an old server, and we had a lot of issues with lag and downtime, so we didn't stand a chance. The site went down for hours and we'd already broken our traffic record by the time I woke up in the morning. It remains a record to this day.

For years since we've called October 28th Simon Pegg Day. Eventually, we thought it might be fun to have a live chat watching one of his movies on that day, and even let him know that this tradition has sprung up out of some offhand thing he did years ago. Kinda like that Simpsons episode.

Anyway, I say this is the year we finally do it! Who wants to give it a go? Lots of great Pegg movies to choose from. Shaun of the Dead is the natural choice, at least for the first year.

Welcome to the human race...
I was just thinking about the Pegg incident the other day. Such a strange thing to have happened.

You could always treat it like the other weekend marathon chats and just make it about the entire Cornetto trilogy since those are effectively his best movies. Otherwise, you're split between franchise stuff like Mission: Impossible and Star Trek where he's merely part of an ensemble or his other leading roles that aren't generally considered to be too good.

we thought it might be fun to have a live chat watching one of his movies on that day, and even let him know that this tradition has sprung up out of some offhand thing he did years ago.
Interesting — an episode of classic Star Trek would be my choice.

Okay, gonna be out of town for a couple of days just before this, but I'll be back and available around the middle of Sunday, ET. How many people would be in for this, if we wanted to do something? We should decide in the next day or two, and tweet accordingly, if we're gonna.

I'd have to be a little late in the evening for UK folks, I think.

Otherwise, there's always next year. At least for the chat part. We could still do some kind of special thread and talk and tweet about it a bit.

Wrong thread, but if Nancy Sinatra wins the current song tournament, she follows me on Twitter, I WILL SCREENSHOOT AND TELL HER SHE WON. I'll post if she says anything.

I should be available, so I am in barring an unusual event.

Just to be clear, I can't conceivably join until at least, like, 5:00 PM ET, unless my softball games get totally rained out, which is plausible. But I won't know until the day of.

I'm also fine if people want to start earlier and I can join in as soon as I get back.