2019 - A Theme for Every Month

Tools    

I've absolutely no idea how this will pan out and I'm certainly not going to limit what I watch in any month solely to a certain genre or theme but I thought it might be fun as a one-off to have a theme for each month of next year and a place in which to group any watches that can be deemed to fit that particular month's theme:

Anyone can join in with any month if they wish - there are no 'targets' or 'goals', just a fun way of perhaps diversifying watches a little.

I like how you put costume dramas in the month where horror generally takes precedence.

Can just see someone posting their rant about Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare only to pop into the Frocktober thread to cool off with an in depth discussion about Winona's style in The Age of Innocence.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've absolutely no idea how this will pan out and I'm certainly not going to limit what I watch in any month solely to a certain genre or theme but I thought it might be fun as a one-off to have a theme for each month of next year and a place in which to group any watches that can be deemed to fit that particular month's theme:
  • Japuary - Japanese theme
  • Debruary - coming-of-age theme
  • March - war theme
  • Aaarrrggghhhpril - horror theme
  • May (happen) - futuristic theme
  • Choon - musicals or music-related
  • D'youlie? - courtroom theme
  • Aughost - supernatural theme
  • Steptember - dance theme
  • Frocktober - costume dramas
  • Mopevember - weepies
  • Dismember - slashers

Anyone can join in with any month if they wish - there are no 'targets' or 'goals', just a fun way of perhaps diversifying watches a little.

This sounds like a great idea. I might join in the few months that sound interesting if you post a reminder about them at the beginning of each month. (Without a reminder I'll probably just be upset that I missed it after it's over.)

This sounds like a great idea. I might join in the few months that sound interesting if you post a reminder about them at the beginning of each month. (Without a reminder I'll probably just be upset that I missed it after it's over.)
Thank you gbg, I shall probably post in the thread at the start of each new month so I can link the months in the first post to their starting point in the thread - that will refresh the thread as it were and naturally act as a reminder (I hope). Feel free to pop in and out whenever it suits - I don't expect anyone to join in for the entire year, in fact I don't expect many to join in at all

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thank you gbg, I shall probably post in the thread at the start of each new month so I can link the months in the first post to their starting point in the thread - that will refresh the thread as it were and naturally act as a reminder (I hope). Feel free to pop in and out whenever it suits - I don't expect anyone to join in for the entire year, in fact I don't expect many to join in at all

That would be great. I'm looking forward to most of the months in the middle of the year.

Great idea. I'll try and tag along.
Kewl, feel free to come and go as you please

I am in. Just send out the reminders and I will participate. Japanese theme for January. Hmmm..... "Seven Samurai" or "Tora! Tora! Tora!"?

I am in. Just send out the reminders and I will participate. Japanese theme for January. Hmmm..... "Seven Samurai" or "Tora! Tora! Tora!"?
Kewl - as well as the thread being naturally bumped I'll drop a few @ mentions in the start of each month post for those that have expressed an interest.

If anybody prefers that I specifically don't do that for them - please just let me know (on here or privately) and I'll be sure to make sure I omit them as the last thing I want to do is 'hassle' anyone.

Decided not to do mentions as I really don't like 'hassling' people - if they're interested enough they'll participate and if not they won't.

• January - Awards Season theme
  • February - Romance Films
  • March - Japanese theme
  • April - Comedy theme
  • May - Star Wars (duh.)
  • June - Musicals or Music-related
  • July - Courtroom/USA/War/'Political' In-General (if you're not from the U.S) theme
  • August - 80s films
  • September - dance theme
  • October - Horror theme
  • November - Animation Month
  • December - Christmas/Holiday films
Fixed.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Weird is relative.
Ha! This past year, 2018, I watched mostly all East Asian films from January through March. It's cool you're doing this.

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku & Toshio Masuda

Drama about the lead-up and attack on Pearl Harbour by the Japanese Fleet in December 1941 that led to the U.S. formal involvement in World War II. At a little under two-and-one-half hours in duration it's somewhat sedate in the first of those hours but flicking back and forth between the Japanese and American perspectives serves to not only give some level of evenhandedness to proceedings (not surprising as a joint venture) but also helps in maintaining interest.

Once the morning of Sunday 7th December is reached a little tension is introduced as incidents gradually escalate until the attack is finally delivered on-screen. Sadly though that tension is never let build enough to reach anywhere near a fever pitch, those involved opting instead to introduce moments that either lessen of completely alleviate it. The attack itself however is reasonably well staged, with the odd bit of decent model work, and prolonged enough to retrospectively make the whole feel more action-packed and exciting than it actually is.

Technically the film is generally pretty well made and as essentially an ensemble piece there's nothing remarkable to be said for any of the acting but it's generally acceptable. Whilst not particularly a history buff I believe there's a reasonably high level of historical accuracy to proceedings and being evenhanded again the film does successfully endeavour to show mistakes from both sides.

Tora! Tora! Tora! could have been better if paced a little quicker and some of the chaff removed but it's still an entertaining enough offering and for me a fairly solid

This one was for @Theophile

Count me in Chyp!
'Dismember'...that made me laugh
Welcome to come and go as you see fit in this thread Christine - a delight to see you back posting

That looks like a rather young looking Akira Kurosawa, Yôko Sugi and Setsuko Hara in Aoi Sanmyaku (great theme song), and my favorite director Mr. Ozu.

I'm new here but I will try to follow along!

Welcome to come and go as you please in this thread Arigatō-san.

Boku no kanojo wa saibôgu
[Cyborg She aka Cyborg Girl aka My Girlfriend Is A Cyborg]

Jae-young Kwak

Mix of science fiction and romance exploring some of what it is to be human that begins in light-hearted fashion but gradually incorporates a little more depth to proceedings until sadly pushing too far in the final quarter.

Undoubtedly the highlight of the film is Haruka Ayase who manages to inhabit the titular role very well, giving a believable performance as the machine that slowly blossoms into developing some understanding of human emotion. Of course any romance requires at least two and though Keisuke Koide as the other lead has the more conventional role he portrays it well enough and the two do manage a level of chemistry together.

Some of the humour (predominantly in the first half of proceedings) is quite amusing though it has to be said a fair amount is somewhat childish and less effective and it does get a little overly mawkish at times but tonally proceedings are for the most part reasonably well managed.

The effects are rather mixed, some being quite nice but others looking either cheap or unrealistic - especially when attempting things on a larger scale, whilst the lack of any documented repercussions for physically changing historical events may be unimportant in terms of the story but is nevertheless a mite irritating for someone more used to seeing such ramifications in science fiction.

The main problem for me with the film though is the final third, which attempts to make the story more rounded and give closure but just feels somewhat unnecessary, a little convoluted and for the most part unwanted.

Cyborg She is a film that had potential but fails to fully realise it thanks to a few missteps and whilst watchable and even enjoyable to an extent imo only deserves a