Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Show Boat (1936)

I've had better luck with musicals from the 30's than any other decade. I thought I may like this anyway as the settings appeal to me, and I also like how it spans many years. This was an interesting movie regarding race. There's a startling musical number performed by a white woman while black audience members view from the back rows. It's also another movie in which blacks are shown to have menial jobs. On the other hand, one of the storylines deals with race, and I thought the message was anti-racist. Plus, Hattie McDaniel owns every second she's in the movie, like always, and I thought Paul Robeson singing Ol Man River was the best scene of the movie.

The Predator
3/5

In no way means is this a great film but an entertaining film with low expectations. Some scenes just didnt fit with the whole "Predator" movies series. My only wish.....

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Is that the gift the first Predator brought to earth for mankind, to kill the more advanced DNA Predators, was a damn FACEHUGGER!!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
^ Agree with all that.cricket plus it's filled with expressionistic imagery by director James Whale (Frankenstein, The Invisible Man).

^ Agree with all that.cricket plus it's filled with expressionistic imagery by director James Whale (Frankenstein, The Invisible Man).
I didn't even realize the director. That's a talented guy to be able to do that kind of variety.

How it happened, that I haven't seen it earlier, as it's classic?
Very good classic.
I don't know how many times this same trite subject has been used in films, but this particular one was pretty good because of the acting-- especially from the principles. As great as Hackman is, he pretty much failed with his accent as a former Mississippi sheriff.. He and Willem Dafoe worked very well together. Hackman is very good at playing a mixed philosophical character. THAT part is pretty authentic..

~Doc

Trouble with a capital "T"

House of Wax (1953) - IMDb

Getting in some early horror for October. This is a remake of 1933's Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) I watched both and it was surprising just how similar the 1953 version was to the 1933 original. The big difference is this is full color, Warner Color to be exact and it was one of the first films to be in 3D and stereophonic sound. But the big draw will be the master of gentlemen macabre...Vincent Price. I can't help but like the mad waxer, even though he's stealing corpses and covering them in wax to display in his wax museum. Vincent has this kindly quality to him that no matter how evil of a character he plays, he's still likable! I felt sorry for him. Of course it's not nice to capture a beautiful young, live woman and try to coat her in 400 degree wax! Yikes.

I recommend watching the original Mystery of the Wax Museum, then House of Wax...if you still have a mind for waxy build up, I suppose you could watch a bunch of teens get bumped off in the 2005 remake House of Wax (2005) to make it a triple horror play.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	House-of-Wax-poster_main.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	48044  

I was impressed with my one time viewing of Rumblefish, really has a unique style to it. And now that I've read about what Coppola was trying to achieve with that film, I bet my opinion would only go up even higher.
What really comes to mind for me is the link with Leos Carax's Boy Meets Girl that came out a few months latter. Both great looking B&W films obviously looking back to an earlier era but Carax more towards Goddard and Coppola more towards early Brando and James Dean.

Quite different in the way they went down though I spose as Boy Meets Girl helped kickstart Cinema Du Look where as Rumblefish was another one of those semi lost films of the ET era like Blade Runner or The Thing, hopefully it experiences the kind of revival they have.

I remember actually watching Rumblefish the first time because Tarantino mentioned it in an interview as a favourite and honestly I think in some ways it does kind of feel similar to his work. Both taking a nominally artier concept and trying to make it accessible to a younger wider audience, albeit Coppola was more visually focused.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★
A very good fantasy movie, an extended death scene, the voyage of life and death. Loved the atmosphere and the Neil Young soundtrack.

Terrible, this film sucks. I'm not even talk about the acting 'cause I know it's a superhero movie. But what about the rest? Damn... And the dialogs?? This movie represents 'what's bad about cinema' in contemporary hollywood.

★★
It was good opportunities from the beginning to end, all wasted! At least the film have some fun dialogue among the 'silly' characters.

★★★★
Another hit by turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan! One of the best of our generation. The ending was outstanding.

Another terrible movie. Laughable!! The cast sucks. That ending...
Lmao with that ending.

★★★★
Another very good movie from R HoF!

★★★★
A film about language and art, Antonioni made a very good job with symbolism!

★★★★
Southwest (2011)
The best brazilian movie I've seen in years!
Can't wait for the new Eduardo Nunes film: 'Unicornio'!

Welcome to the human race...
Predators -

WARNING: "Predators" spoilers below
wonder if they ever got off that planet

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

''These creatures were here before us, and if we’re not careful they’re going to be here after.''

★★★★
A film about language and art, Antonioni made a very good job with symbolism!
One of my favorite films. It still holds up today. Antonioni was able to set a mood and a mysterious feel better than many others who have tried. There was minimal dialogue, which suited David Hemmings' ability to project feeling. I can still hear the leaves rustling in the breeze in the park...

~Doc

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2

I am visiting the Warner Bros. Harry Potter tour tomorrow, so I literally binged all the movies in the space of a week. They’re long so it was pretty hard going. That said, I was genuinely impressed with the final chapter of the series and was pleasantly surprised by some of the twists and turns (I haven’t read the books) that the film had to offer. In my opinion it is the best of the franchise, but my only caveat would be that it would not have been as impactful if I hadn’t watch ALL the others.

5 out of 5 stars.

“I was cured, all right!”
One of my favorite films. It still holds up today. Antonioni was able to set a mood and a mysterious feel better than many others who have tried. There was minimal dialogue, which suited David Hemmings' ability to project feeling. I can still hear the leaves rustling in the breeze in the park...

~Doc
That scenes was amazing!

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem -

Still one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Predator 2 was on, back-to-back with Predator recently and I was thinking to myself what a big mistake it was to have a Predator in the city. I haven't seen Predators all the way through but at least the makers realized that.