Rank The Jurassic Park Films

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Ranked in release order with the first being a
while the other three are varying levels of

Ranked in release order with the first being a
while the other three are varying levels of

I'd give TLW a higher score but other than that, fully agreed. Every time I've tried watching JW and giving it another go it just comes off as such a poor man's version of the first film and the time spent watching it could just be spent watching the original again. Fallen Kingdom looks promising enough, but if it ends up being another failure they'd be wise to quit while they're ahead.

Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III
The Lost World
Jurassic World

It's interesting that as widely disliked as JP3 is, it's rated higher than expected sometimes on some rankings. I don't think it's particularly good but it has it's share of good things going for it. I think for all it's faults, the aviary sequence is among the most exciting of all the films for me.

Seeing the newest trailer for Fallen Kingdom, my hopes for it are dampered a bit,

***spoilers***

Looks like there's another hybrid dinosaur in it. I hated the Indominus Rex in JW and think the idea of hybrid dinosaurs is so silly.

Still, it looks promising enough and I hope to leave the theater satisified.

The new film isn't out for another couple of months, but already I'm liking the brief bits of footage so much better than the last couple of movies. If nothing else it's at least clearly a much better-made film. Whether the actual movie delivers is another matter, but it's looking promising which bodes well. I thought the fourth one both looked generic from it's trailers and ended up being very generic in the actual movie, and only gets worse with rewatches.

Updated ranking with Fallen Kingdom:

JP
TLW
JWFK
JP3
JW

JWFK was decent enough, but was held back by the script which has a lot of stupid things in it. Not a bad movie but there's the feeling the series needs to call it a day.

Jurassic Park (A-)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (B-)
Jurassic Park III (B-)
Jurassic World (D)

That's how I'd rank them and grade them. I like the second and third ones for what they are, but I intensely dislike Jurassic World. As far as I'm concerned the franchise is dead barring a total rethinking of where these movies should go and what they hope to achieve with them.

I did see the Jurassic World sequel only because my five-year-old daughter loves dinosaurs and has seen the Jurassic Park movies, so I know she can handle it, and I will say I liked it better than the first Jurassic World movie, even accounting for the circumstances of how I saw it. Yeah, it's still hung up on the incredibly stupid idea of a 20 million dollar warrior dinosaur that could be felled by a $20 shell, and I still want to see dinosaurs with feathers, but apparently any sort of accuracy in that way is beyond their ambitions, and I'm also still annoyed by the hybrid dinosaurs, but anyhow as a summer popcorn movie, it's all right. I'd rate it a C+.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Jurassic Park (A-)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (B-)
Jurassic Park III (B-)
Jurassic World (D)

That's how I'd rank them and grade them. I like the second and third ones for what they are, but I intensely dislike Jurassic World. As far as I'm concerned the franchise is dead barring a total rethinking of where these movies should go and what they hope to achieve with them.

I did see the Jurassic World sequel only because my five-year-old daughter loves dinosaurs and has seen the Jurassic Park movies, so I know she can handle it, and I will say I liked it better than the first Jurassic World movie, even accounting for the circumstances of how I saw it. Yeah, it's still hung up on the incredibly stupid idea of a 20 million dollar warrior dinosaur that could be felled by a $20 shell, and I still want to see dinosaurs with feathers, but apparently any sort of accuracy in that way is beyond their ambitions, and I'm also still annoyed by the hybrid dinosaurs, but anyhow as a summer popcorn movie, it's all right. I'd rate it a C+.
Did your daughter get scared? I saw it with my partner and her nephews one of which is 10 and he was visibly scared. Thought it wasn’t a good movie for younger children. Pretty tense and chaotic even for me.

Did your daughter get scared? I saw it with my partner and her nephews one of which is 10 and he was visibly scared. Thought it wasn’t a good movie for younger children. Pretty tense and chaotic even for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it for young children, but this was a case of knowing my daughter. She told she was scared "a few times" but in a fun way. No ill effects. She liked it quite a bit.

Now that I've seen Fallen Kingdom and re-watched the other sequels, my new ranking...

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park III

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Jurassic World

Still going back and forth on how to rank III and Fallen Kingdom, though.

JP

JP2

JP3

JW

I thought Jurassic World was pretty good tbh. Nice throwback to the original.
Too much CGI though.

There's an interesting theory behind Jurassic Park 3 that actually makes it better
The Spinosaur was shown in JP3 as walking on its hind legs... which according to scientific data, was true at the time.
In JP3, Grant and Billy are talking about the Spino... and Billy says "I don't remember seeing that on Ingen's list".
Grants reaction is "That's because it wasn't on their list... which makes you wonder what else they were up to."

Well, the simple reason... it's not a Spinosaur.

It's been uncovered recently, causing a bit of upset in palaeontology circles, that Spinosaurs were possibly 4 legged animals, like a crocodilians.

Within the Jurassic canon now, is that Ingen messing with DNA and stuff since the 1980s, the Spino is in fact a "prototype Indominus Rex". Like, a test for crossing actual Dinosaur DNA to create new animals, rather than just crossing it with frogs and stuff to fill in sequence gaps.
It also explains why the Spinosaur was so tough when it came up against the T-Rex.

Adding to this post from ages ago:
Jurassic Park World: The Lost Fallen Kingdom World Part Duex:

I'd rank em right in order, with the last one being the weakest of the series. Maybe a
for the last one. Maybe.

Regarding Fallen Kingdom, I did like Patrick Willems' video essay where he explains why it at least gets something right that other Jurassic sequels didn't in that it actually threatens to break new ground in a franchise that had largely subsisted on wheel-spinning variations on the original. First, his essay about what the first three sequels got wrong followed by the essay where he talks about what Fallen Kingdom got right...sort of.

I mean, I'd still consider it a bad movie, but at least it's bad in a somewhat interesting way.