16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Waterloo Bridge (James Whale, 1931)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/15/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 16th MoFo Hall of Fame, Nominated by @Citizen Rules
Rewatch: No.

I must admit that I was less than thrilled to see this film show up on the list of nominations and I don't deny that I have something of a prejudice against very old movies. I frequently struggle to connect with them because the acting is so often overly theatrical and very much unlike more modern acting that leans more towards a natural, less exaggerated approach. It also bothers me how ridiculously puritan these films often are (and yes, I'm aware of the whys about that), with an essentially total denial of anything sexual or base in nature.

While James Whale's Waterloo Bridge did not completely shatter my preconceived notions about films of this era, I was very pleasantly surprised at how different it still managed to be from my expectations. I certainly never thought that I would be watching a film that covered the subject matter that it did or that I would be able to overcome the disconnect I so often feel and actually be engaged with the characters, though it took some time for me to get there. I also came into this film being almost completely ignorant of its director, knowing him only as the director of classic horror movies (none of which I've actually seen) and knowing that really only because of the film Gods and Monsters.

As to the more specific aspects of the film, I thought the performances of both Mae Clarke and Douglass Montgomery were strong - though I found both characters distasteful in the beginning: Her for her attitude and him for his ridiculous level of naivete and his premature proclamations of love. But both managed to win me over eventually and I found myself actually wanting things to work out for them and invested in their fates. I also really appreciated that the film did not give the stereotypical Hollywood ending. There was no Happily Ever After shoe-horned in to make the audience feel good.

Ultimately, I came away with a very positive impression of the film, but I do have to wonder how much of that was owed to the difference between expectation and reality and I wonder whether the film will hold up as well on a rewatch. Right now, though, that doesn't matter and for the moment at least this is a very strong start to this Hall of Fame.

-

Waterloo Bridge (1931)

What impressed me most about Waterloo Bridge, was Mae Clarke's body language. She brought her character to life by deliberately using poor body posture. She's slumped over with rounded shoulders and her head tilted down. That folded into herself body language, matched the self loathing expression on her face. That's method acting, as she's 'feeling' the emotions of her character: a woman who hates herself for becoming a prostitute.

Waterloo Bridge is considered one of Mae Clarke's finest performances. She reminded me of another early actress who I really like, Miriam Hopkins. Well, maybe you guys will see Miriam in one of her finest performance in another Hof

Had Waterloo Bridge been made only 3 years later it would have been quite different in story presentation. In 1933 the Hays Production Code took effect which was Hollywood self censoring itself, so that the Catholic Decency League wouldn't go through with their threats to get federal laws passed to control movie making. So...all of that makes this a pre code film, a cinema term that applies to sound films made before 1934.

This is the 1st of three film versions: Waterloo Bridge (1931), Waterloo Bridge (1940), and Gaby (1956). All of which are based on the 1930 play by Robert Sherwood. The play itself was based on a true story of Robert Sherwood meeting an American girl in wartime London who's circumstance were like Myra's in the movie.

OK back to the movie
....Kent Douglass was surprisingly naturalistic, I really believed him as a solider who fell in love with a poor American girl with a secret she desperately wants to keep. I thought he was real good in this, he pulled over nativity and sincerity well. I'm not sure why he didn't have a bigger career.

The woman who played his mother was real good too and surprisingly sympathetic, whilst showing her motherly concern for her son, who she doesn't want to marry Myra.

Bette Davis shined in her small role in what was only her 3rd film, and in the very first year of her movie career. She already showed promise as someone who demands attention from the camera.

Yeah, I know I'm long winded today, but I love early Hollywood film history and that's why I nominated Waterloo Bridge (1931) as it's a noteworthy pre code film, directed by James Whales and it's quite different in structure and feeling than the 1940 version of Waterloo Bridge.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterloo Bridege 1931.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	44536  

Wait Until Dark (1967)

I remember first hearing about this and being super pumped to see it. I’m sure this has given me a biased opinion of the film.

Hepburn gives an amazing performance as our blind main character, I’m sure someone who hadn’t heard of her before seeing the movie would actually think she’s blind. I think the the film being set in one apartment helps to build the tension and terror. It’s also cool to note that the apartment is mostly underground; Isolated from the outside world.

Now let’s talk about the REAL meat on the bone, the suspense and ending. The film does a fantastic job of being suspenseful, with the robbers getting more aggressive and violent as the film goes on. The last 10-15 minutes are absolutely insane, pure terror; The perfect climax to an hour and a half of build up. I was sweating mad, on the very edge of my seat and jumped out of my skin a few times. What I adored was the gimmick of having most of the end in pure darkness, very creative and terrifying. (It helps to watch the film in a dimly lit room!)

If I had any complaints it’s that the first hour and a half have a more Hitchcock-ian tone while the last 10 minutes are horror, the whole film would be much better if it was mostly horror. I also feel the ‘pure darkness’ bit was underused, they could’ve done a lot more with that and made the film much more scary.

One of the most nail-biting and anxiety-causing films I’ve ever seen.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
two good reviews for Waterloo right out of the gate - VERY nice!
Should anyone need it, youtube has Waterloo Bridge and it looks like a decent copy. I'll be using it to watch it.

The link starts a ways into the film, sorry about that.

Wait Until Dark (1967)

I remember first hearing about this and being super pumped to see it. I’m sure this has given me a biased opinion of the film.

Hepburn gives an amazing performance as our blind main character, I’m sure someone who hadn’t heard of her before seeing the movie would actually think she’s blind. I think the the film being set in one apartment helps to build the tension and terror. It’s also cool to note that the apartment is mostly underground; Isolated from the outside world.

Now let’s talk about the REAL meat on the bone, the suspense and ending. The film does a fantastic job of being suspenseful, with the robbers getting more aggressive and violent as the film goes on. The last 10-15 minutes are absolutely insane, pure terror; The perfect climax to an hour and a half of build up. I was sweating mad, on the very edge of my seat and jumped out of my skin a few times. What I adored was the gimmick of having most of the end in pure darkness, very creative and terrifying. (It helps to watch the film in a dimly lit room!)

If I had any complaints it’s that the first hour and a half have a more Hitchcock-ian tone while the last 10 minutes are horror, the whole film would be much better if it was mostly horror. I also feel the ‘pure darkness’ bit was underused, they could’ve done a lot more with that and made the film much more scary.

One of the most nail-biting and anxiety-causing films I’ve ever seen.

I absolutely loved Alan Arkin's character in this

Should anyone need it, youtube has Waterloo Bridge and it looks like a decent copy. I'll be using it to watch it.
That's where I watched it. It's a good copy.

Speaking of YouTube, it looks like the copy of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? that Cricket linked to has been taken down due to a copyright claim. Will have to find another source for it.

That's where I watched it. It's a good copy.

Speaking of YouTube, it looks like the copy of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? that Cricket linked to has been taken down due to a copyright claim. Will have to find another source for it.
That's happened before here. I'm not surprised that someone took down They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, I told another MoFo (not in this Hof) that it's a bad idea to post links to copyright movies on Youtube. Movie Forums is a big enough board that someone can see those links when we post them, then they go and hit the report button, just to be an ass. Which gets the movie removed as Youtube doesn't want any problems with copyrighted material.

I don't think for a second any MoFo would do that. But for every one of us, there's a 100 people who lurk here without signing up. Best not to post Youtube links for copyrighted movies, send them by PM instead.

The Waterloo Bridge video seems to have been uploaded by Universal, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I found They Shoot Horses, Don't They? from my library and requested a hold. There are available copies so I'll probably pick it up this weekend, along with a couple of others that are already waiting.

The Waterloo Bridge video seems to have been uploaded by Universal, so it shouldn't be an issue...
That looks to be correct. I'm guessing it's a public domain movie, so that will stay put as there's no copyright.

Glad I checked out They Shoot Horses BEFORE it got taken down and good idea CR about PMing instead of posting. Shame, that.
And I agree, Vicky, that IS a good copy. Actually in the middle of it, right now.

Three Monkeys is a drama morality tale from Turkey. It's tells the story of a murder/accident and a family who takes on the burden of the accident. The father goes to jail for a crime he didn't commit and things happen.

I don't want to get into too much when it comes to spoilers because the pacing and plot are partitioned out very slowly. I believe this was done to cover budgetary issues as it's one of those dramas with only four characters. (a father, a son, a mother and the politician) If you ever watched the Dekalog you kind of know what your getting yourself into. The good news is Nuri Bilge Ceylan has a real eye for visuals. A number of the shots look good even if it's a lot of people starring off and long dramatic pauses.

I'm not sure how I'll rate this it's between 2 and 3 stars for me.

Let the night air cool you off
I've only seen Mr. Freedom and Naked out of the lot, both of are good. Naked is fantastic though, and I'll be rooting for it. Probably won't win though.

Glad I checked out They Shoot Horses BEFORE it got taken down and good idea CR about PMing instead of posting. Shame, that.
I can't actually take credit for that idea, someone else said the same warning about posting youtube videos in another HoF. I can think of at least 3 times people have posted links and then the movie gets removed. But like Miss Vicky said Waterloo Bridge seems to have been uploaded by Universal so it should stay put. It looks like a nice copy of the film too.

Like @edarsenal, I suggest you don't read the review before watching the film (thanks for the tip, by the way).

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969) n

I have a vague recollection that I've heard the film's name before but knew nothing about it.

This is a difficult film for me to review. I liked its nihilism and its portrayal of humanity. I loved the ending and how it linked the introduction to the rest of the movie. But on the other hand, at least for me, the film hasn't aged well - dance marathon is reality television for the people of great depression and I've had my share of both reality television (that share was very small) and satires about it. Yes, the show is partially scripted and its purpose is to give the audience something to feel, something to hide the emptiness and suffering in their own lives. It's obvious and I don't feel like hearing it for the hundredth time. And yeah, at 1969 Pollack was most likely comparing the marathon itself to life but at 2018 it doesn't really make a big difference before the end.

I was often bored when watching this. I understand why some things were done (like keeping all characters shallow, showing long and tedious shots of the derby, etc.) but I don't like it when the message is emphasized at the expense of the film as a whole. Life sucks and then you die but the film could still be more entertaining.

Acting was adequate, there was zero depth on the characters and actors were just playing shells visible for the rest of the world. Soundtrack was what you'd expect a 1930s dance marathon to sound like. Cinematography was clinical, almost dull (derbies looked silly and the ending was pretty much the only beautifully shot scene in the whole film - on purpose, I suspect).

Boring buildup in a setting that doesn't interest me in the slightest that leads to very nice ending (the end itself is worth one popcorn for me).

Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach, 2012)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/17/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 16th MoFo Hall of Fame, Nominated by @rauldc14
Rewatch: No.

Frances Ha is a well made film. The cinematography is crisp and beautiful, the soundtrack was well chosen, and the performances are solid. It all centers around Frances, an apprentice dancer who bounces around from apartment to apartment. She very awkwardly bumbles through her interactions with her friends and other people she encounters in her life and struggles to deal with her very strained relationship with her best friend.

Which would all be wonderful if I found Frances endearing, but instead I found her rather annoying and it's impossible to truly enjoy a film like this if you don't like the main character.

Frances Ha

I wasn't sure what to expect going in, and then early on I didn't think I was going to like it. I'm generally not fond of people, who because they went to college, they think that automatically means they're never going to have to work hard again. That's the impression I got of these people, but they seemed like decent people and I did like them. I actually felt bad for Frances. It seemed to me that she put on a front for others, pretending she was happy when she actually wasn't. I don't think the movie really leads anywhere or has much of a story. I just saw it more as spending some time with these folks, and it felt very real. I liked the decision to film in black and white. I think that, especially with a lower budget, black and white can hide mistakes and weaknesses. It also jived with the simplicity of the film and it looked good. The acting was good and it had a great soundtrack. It absolutely flew by in what seemed like less than an hour. It's a modest movie that won't stay with me forever, but I quite liked it.