Rank The Jurassic Park Films

Tools    

I've said it before but aside from the end fight and the Mosasaurus scenes, I thought Jurassic World was dreadfully boring and dull. JP3 isn't exactly good but at least it isn't boring and is somewhat competantly made despite the weak script. I've tried giving JW another chance but every time I do I feel like I could just be watching the original again, or even having a double feature of the first two. Every time I try to watch JW, more of it's problems and what's wrong with it stick out, in a bad way.

Jurassic Park
Jurassic World
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III

I'd say Jurassic Park was the second best movie of 1993, behind Schindler's List and just ahead of The Nightmare Before Christmas and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Jurassic World was a fun romp of a film, but even though I liked its VFX (I know, in the minority), it's still not my favorite of 2015 for VFX. That would be The Force Awakens followed by Fury Road and it gets fuzzy from there.

The Lost World gets more hate than it deserves, if you ask me. It had no chance of beating the OG film, but by god, did it give the audience what it wanted - dinosaurs attacking people! Still say the Compy attack on that one guy may have been the most brutal death in the JP franchise (seriously, they were relentless)!

And JP3...it tried? I don't know, I questioned it even as a kid, so I'm still not sure what to think. Good VFX, I guess, but not much else.

I loved JP3 when I was 14/15 years of age, but now, not so much. Though I do have some nostalgia for it so I always have a hard time totally hating it.

One thing that really rubbed me the wrong way about JW is that for a film trying so hard to evoke nostalgia for the original, how are you going to use the classic Jurassic theme music so little and what few times it's used it's during moments completely inappropriate and not fitting for the scene?

I'm surprised that JW is rated so highly by some. Much as I didn't care for it, so far at least the upcoming Fallen Kingdom is looking considerably better and hopefully it delivers. It's a movie that'll ultimately make or break the series.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Jurassic Park - 9/10

The Lost World: Jurassic Park/Jurassic World (can't split the two, although the latter is a bit too comedic at times, a major problem in the post Avengers world) - 7/10

Jurassic Park 3 - 5/10

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Jurassic Park 10/10
The Lost World: Jurassic Park 9/10
Jurassic Park III 7/10
Jurassic World 5/10

Fairly close to how I'd rate them. The original is an easy 10/10 for sure, TLW is almost a 9/10 but the stupid gymnastics bit drops it a point for me. JP3 is a 6/10, has some good moments that redeem it, but with JW I'm afraid a 4/10 is the best I can do. The only entertaining moment for me was the end battle. Silly and lacking as JP3 is, at least it doesn't bore me when I watch it and I don't find myself impatient for it to get to the end.

Another thing about JW I didn't like was how little it used the classic Jurassic music themes and what little times they were used it was during moments where it didn't fit at all. In the original when you hear the beautiful Welcome To Jurassic Park theme during the Brachiosaurus scene it did so much to enhance the wonder of that moment. In JW it was used... during a monorail ride? Very bad usage. For a film that tried so hard to be more like the original it fell very flat for me.

I'm still a bit weary about Fallen Kingdom having the same writers as JW but hearing the new director oversaw revisions to the script I'm optimistic with his touches to it it'll be significantly better than JW.

JP

JP2

JP3

JW

I thought Jurassic World was pretty good tbh. Nice throwback to the original.
Too much CGI though.

There's an interesting theory behind Jurassic Park 3 that actually makes it better
The Spinosaur was shown in JP3 as walking on its hind legs... which according to scientific data, was true at the time.
In JP3, Grant and Billy are talking about the Spino... and Billy says "I don't remember seeing that on Ingen's list".
Grants reaction is "That's because it wasn't on their list... which makes you wonder what else they were up to."

Well, the simple reason... it's not a Spinosaur.

It's been uncovered recently, causing a bit of upset in palaeontology circles, that Spinosaurs were possibly 4 legged animals, like a crocodilians.

Within the Jurassic canon now, is that Ingen messing with DNA and stuff since the 1980s, the Spino is in fact a "prototype Indominus Rex". Like, a test for crossing actual Dinosaur DNA to create new animals, rather than just crossing it with frogs and stuff to fill in sequence gaps.
It also explains why the Spinosaur was so tough when it came up against the T-Rex.

Definitely agree about JW having too much CGI. Gave it a very artificial quality and lacked the practical magic the first three movies had, and IMO it looked terrible most of the time. More like something out of a video game.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
Jurassic park
Jurrasic park: the lost world
Jurrasic park III
Jurrasic world (boo me all u want, only good thing was chris Pratt)

No booing from me. Other than the end fight and Mosasaurus feeding scenes I didn't enjoy the last film at all. Fallen Kingdom looks promising though and hopefully it'll deliver.

I enjoyed Jurassic park 3 more than The lost world....

I did as well when I was younger, mainly because Dr. Grant was back. I remember missing him from TLW. He's still missed from the second film but nowadays I think as a whole the second film is definitely superior.

For all the flack JP3 often gets, the aviary sequence in it is outstanding and easily on par with anything from the first two movies. A diamond in the rough in what's not a very good movie although it has some high points going for it.