The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

I guess I'll take it off my countdown watchlist then.
Well if you somehow get the opportunity before the deadline take it dawg, haha. Iro said he might expand the deadline by a month maximum depending on what's happening by March. Think it's only cinema release on April 6th though and i know you don't go much anymore.

Going out for an hour if i'm not tired i might try to watch Take This Waltz tonight as i just finished Call Me By Your Name, we'll see. It's somehow surprsing to me that it's 2 hours and not 80/90 minutes. Think i'm going in with the wrong impression which should be interesting.

Well if you somehow get the opportunity before the deadline take it dawg, haha. Iro said he might expand the deadline by a month maximum depending on what's happening by March. Think it's only cinema release on April 6th though and i know you don't go much anymore.

Going out for an hour if i'm not tired i might try to watch Take This Waltz tonight as i just finished Call Me By Your Name, we'll see. It's somehow surprsing to me that it's 2 hours and not 80/90 minutes. Think i'm going in with the wrong impression which should be interesting.
Yea I thought it was a 90 minute rom-com.

In what way or ways?
It gets right how restless many people are in their marriage. How we expect to be just as "happy" 10 years into a marriage as we were on our first date. I put happy in quotes because I think we confuse happiness with things being new and shiny.

I won't talk about the ending but it lands the ending in that it effectively shows where this kind of thinking leads.

Take This Waltz

Usually i start my reviews with a general i liked, loved, disliked, hated this, then i explain why but i honestly don't know yet think i need to let this fester. I know i didn't dislike it, i didn't have a bad time watching it but i'm not sure how much i liked it yet and there was some things i wasn't a fan of. Whatever i think this absolutely wasn't what i was expecting which was a great thing. Cricket said "yeah i thought it would be a 80 minute Rom-Com", same here. Actually agree with everything he has said, i expected this to be a simple i found this funny and/or powerful so i liked it or vice-versa type of deal and it wasn't at all.

I kinda think i should have hated the dialogue here. Stuff like Williams "scared of getting from plane to plane" thing near the start was horrific, it's not how people talk anywhere ever and you don't meaningfully open up to a stranger that way without the slightest prodding. Seriously it would be like me asking someone i just mets name and them fitting in the fact their brother is in prison in their answer I'm guessing Polley was going for a general she had to get it out sort of thing and she was already intrigued by him and comfortable around him but i didn't get that by that point so it was just ridiculous. Still despite that it was charmingly and believably delivered by Williams. Williams is one of the best working actors, i don't think alot of this would have worked without her talent. I mean that scene was obviously important and i think if it wasn't for Williams that one exchange could have sunk the whole movie for me. When it didn't come from her i had a harder time swallowing it. Luke Kirby's "what are you going to do with me now you've got me?" thing for example. I kind of respect that this film didn't dance around the fact these two are interested in each other, but they went too far in the other direction to be believable IMO in that Daniel seemed oddly forceful with how straightforward he was. I couldn't accept Margot being interested in him alot of the time, or at least still being interested in him after things like that. The fact that she isn't happy in her marriage isn't sufficient enough reason for me to believe she would become interested in a specific person, you need to believably build their relationship and Daniel and some of the dialogue held it back for me. There's nothing to say someone couldn't be attracted to and interested in stuff like that so that's fine, but for me to accept it i need to find it probable and for this specific story i'd need to enjoy them together to an extent, sometimes i didn't and the times i did was thanks to Williams. Too be fair it's probably just my general dislike of person stuck in boring life intrigued by someone dangerous or wild seeming stories, and i think this tried to dress this up as something else when that's what it felt like to me. Obviously Daniel wasn't "wild or dangerous" but he was certainly alot different from the people she was usually with especially her husband, he got genuine reactions from her and wasn't afraid of being provocative or combatative and of course he's not the least bit hesitant in pursuing her despite being married. Once it actually became a thing i accepted it more and i liked that it ended up pretty damn dark and depressing. I actually liked the sex montage alot, how it showed it start off exciting and transform into a similar mundanity as her relationship with Lou. An obvious thing to do but i still think it was well done.

What i will say is the mundanity of her life was done extremely well, it was believable that she wasn't happy with it. Even when i wasn't enjoying her stuff with Daniel it was at least interesting, her early scenes with Lou were so dull and forgettable which i'm sure was intentional, i wanted her to get back to Daniel as at least it wasn't boring. That's a big reason why i'm so conflicted on this; i basically had the same feelings as Margot. It was brave to do the early stuff with Lou that way. It was all the same three scenes; one of them in bed, one of them in the bathroom then one of him cooking with her in the kitchen with him. Both of them constantly playing around and telling each other they loved each other, like they were trying to force happiness by overselling it. I was part of this boring cycle and i felt it.

My biggest surprise was the size of Seth Rogen's role. He's barely in it for like the first hour, i was expecting a rom-com of those two getting together. One thing we all seem to agree on is that Seth's character was likeable, how could he not be? I think Seth barely acts he's the same in every film and in interviews and he is so likeable at all times even when his character is supposed to be an a-hole. Then his character is being cheated on, no work was done on Polley's part there. Casting Seth Rogen for that role was like a cheatcode in getting her desired effect haha. Seems like you guys all hated Margot. I get it, if i was to read a description of her character and actions i'd hate her but it's Michelle Williams. I wouldn't say i liked her especially as it went on but i'd be lying if i said i truly disliked her. Maybe that was a fault in her performance if the intention was to make me dislike her, but even if it was i'd still call this a good performance for selling dialogue i disliked so well that i mentioned earlier. I'm being ridiculous here because her actions were just as bad if not worse than his but i disliked Daniel more. Daniel mentioning Lou's chicken the first time they met pissed me right off haha. All we've seem him do up to that point is make chicken, he has a better relationship with his chicken recipe than his wife who you are stealing lets not twist the knife buddy. Then again i kind of sympathised with him a few times, Cricket pointed out that he had no friends or family of his own and i definitely felt for him a bit when he was sitting watching Lou's party he just looked so envious and lonely, of course Lou has to go ahead and invite him haha. Seriously i can't make my mind up with this film. Wasn't a big fan of Silverman. She seems pretty polarizing in general but i do like her in interviews and stuff so i was surprised there. My main deal with her was dialogue related again like what she was saying in the shower scene perfectly fit everything about Margot's situation at that moment, glad Polley focused on Margot looking uncomfortable during every second of that scene or i would have never gotten what she was going for haha. Seemed inauthentic and too "perfect" to me, i never react well to something done that blatantly. It was also that Silverman's character seemed to be half joking and just making conversation yet everything she was saying was what was on Margot's mind constantly at that point. I did like her more at her scene more at the end. What i liked was she spotted Daniel intently following Margot at the party earlier, clearly she was the first to catch onto what was happening and i think that played into her anger as well as the obvious reasons. One of my main complaints here has been some of it was blatant, i actually think Silverman spotting them was more subtle and forgettable. Or maybe i'm just reading too much into a brief look haha.

So in the end i'm not quite sure what i thought yet, as i said i didn't dislike it but i can't tell how much i liked it. I complained a hell of alot here i know but i think that was a positive in that this is supposed to be provocative and it did provoke reactions for me, i'm also conflicted on a fair amount of it. At the very least i'm impressed as this did feel different and it avoided most of the cliche's in these types of film; if this even fits into a "type". I mean alot of my complaints are redundant by the end since what i was feeling was right all along and that's so frustrating Reading Citizen, Thursday and Crickets reviews i realized i agree with them all on parts and disagree with them on others showing this is at least an interesting film as everyone had different feelings on it. Good nom Sean.

Europa Europa is next for me. Looks like i might be the first to review it. Cricket is watching Little Women next too so all films will have been reviewed soon

@cricket Williams' character is conflicted throughout and we are meant to be as well.
Yeah that's definitely how i felt. As i said by the end a lot of my complaints were redundant as i was kind of supposed to feel that way which makes the whole thing confusing. I'm not a big fan of bored housewife goes for someone because he seems different stories and Polley doesn't seem to either despite making one as by the end she is back to square one obviously. Interested in your thoughts on this.

That's why i have no idea whether i liked this or not, while watching i disliked a number of things i was supposed to. I think the majority reaction to Nothing Bad Can Happen is probably going to be it worked but i didn't like it and i'm not sure if i should feel the same about this and i'm possibly not because it was a lot lighter. Man i have no clue will need to see how i feel a few weeks from now.

sleeping beauty would have been a good nom for this. I wonder what the reactions would be like

One thing I would disagree with you on Camo is about believing someone would open up to a stranger like that when first meeting. It's been my experience that many people are willing to share their life story with anyone who will listen.

There was a part when Silverman said to Williams something like you look like a deer, and I thought she felt like the viewer was meant to feel, like she's so cute, how can anyone dislike or be mad at her. I think this is the cause of much confliction. I think it was Ebert that said if their roles were reversed it wouldn't work because it'd be too easy to hate Silverman, even if she did the exact same things.

By the time my wife was ready to watch Little Women, I had to be up in 4 1/2 hours. It'll have to wait until Thursday and I have Orlando coming for the weekend.

Some Take This Waltz bullet points before my rewatch.

-I am loving how conflicted people seem. I think that shows a fio m is successful thematically, which I think this is.

-I don't find this to be a perfect film. Been a while, but the main reason this movie was a 4/5 for me was the beginning. I hate the first act of this film. That is pretty much bearing itself out with you guys as well.

-I don't like the actor who played Luke. Fine with the character, don't like the performance.

- Love Sara Silverman here and I find her to be insufferable in real life.

-Last but not least. I have been here 5 years. Everyone who has watched so far knows my movie taste pretty well. You guys all thought I nominated While You Were Sleeping for a HOF apparently. I am truly hurt.

-I don't like the actor who played Luke. Fine with the character, don't like the performance.
I don't like him either. My problem was the casting choice. The second I seen him on the plane, I disliked him and he took the film down a notch for me. And...at that point I had no idea what the movie was about and I did not even know Margot was married. I didn't like him as he looked like a daytime soap opera actor. You know how I would have liked in his role of the 'free spirit, artist' type? Owen Wilson. He would have seemed more like his character and less like a hunky leading man.

One thing I would disagree with you on Camo is about believing someone would open up to a stranger like that when first meeting. It's been my experience that many people are willing to share their life story with anyone who will listen.
I suppose. It was also unbelievable because it was said in a weird metaphor that was supposed to have just came to her, like she looked surprised that she had said it. It was one of those moments which Citizen mentioned felt too much to him like a writer had wrote it, for me at least anyway.

-I am loving how conflicted people seem. I think that shows a fio m is successful thematically, which I think this is.

-I don't find this to be a perfect film. Been a while, but the main reason this movie was a 4/5 for me was the beginning. I hate the first act of this film. That is pretty much bearing itself out with you guys as well.

- Love Sara Silverman here and I find her to be insufferable in real life.

-Last but not least. I have been here 5 years. Everyone who has watched so far knows my movie taste pretty well. You guys all thought I nominated While You Were Sleeping for a HOF apparently. I am truly hurt.
Very interested in your review now.

You told me to watch this a bunch before you even nominated and i was pretty surprised considering what i thought it was. I'm still kind of surprised it was this, not sure why. I think it's a great nomination whether you think it's a great film or not as only one of the four that have watched it has come to a straightforward like or dislike opinion. I think it'd be kinda hard to like everything about it without qualification, there's alot packed in and some of it isn't supposed to be liked i don't think. Still kind of confused haha.

Watching The Florida Project shortly, Europa Europa will most likely be tomorrow. Tomorrow is the end of our extra two weeks i believe.

I don't like him either. My problem was the casting choice. The second I seen him on the plane, I disliked him and he took the film down a notch for me. And...at that point I had no idea what the movie was about and I did not even know Margot was married. I didn't like him as he looked like a daytime soap opera actor. You know how I would have liked in his role of the 'free spirit, artist' type? Owen Wilson. He would have seemed more like his character and less like a hunky leading man.
I think his character was written arrogantly and kind of half playful, half hostile and i'm personally not sure Owen could have pulled that off as he's so likeable. I do agree with your other points though.

How much each film has been reviewed for this two weeks in:

Morvern Callar: 7/11
The Last Supper: 6/11
Take This Waltz: 4/11
American Psycho: 4/11
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night: 4/11
Orlando: 4/11
Nothing Bad Can Happen: 2/11
The Ascent: 2/11
We Need To Talk About Kevin: 1/11
Little Women: 1/11
Europa, Europa: 1/11

I'm watching Europa, Europa tomorrow and i believe Cricket is watching Little Women then so great start

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Little Women

In the Live Musical Hall of Fame @Nestorio_Miklos started a review for Meet Me in St Louis with one of THE best descriptions I have ever read: "Watching this film is like having a nice slice of Sachertorte with a cup of coffee served in Meissen porcelain Sunday afternoon." And as I was watching this, this very description danced across my brain for it's ideal description of this idyllic film.

It has honestly been so long since seeing this, OR the original from the 40s that it was all pretty new to me and I had a wonderful time watching it with so many "Oh my god, I forgot about this" through it all.

First of all, I had forgotten the cast, AND seeing so many at such a younger age. The first (youngster) was Kristen Dunst as the youngest of the March daughters, followed by Christian Bale.
Now, I could go down the list, but it would be just as easy to pop over to IMDb to read the cast list, since that would be what I would have to do to remark on the cast itself.
So, instead, I will say that the cast is really great and everyone does a splendid job and I enjoyed them all in this post Civil War story of a family of sisters and their lives as they grow up.

While much of this touches similar thematic points as many stories set in Victorian times, including the whole of it being noted by the writer of the family, it is still an enjoyable and entertaining slice of life with a caring family who loves one another and continues to.
Which, may sound uneventful and boring, I must say I never was through it all. With the varying side stories of each sister and their lives, the movie's pace was smooth without hiccup and it never seemed rushed, busy or hectic in any form or fashion.

This is simply a feel wonderful film with touching moments and a wonderful wardrobe and homes set in Concord. Speaking of the wardrobe, I found a nice touch in that there is a blue striped dress that shows up multiple times with different sisters. Which, I had guessed correctly while watching this is that is simply a hand-me-down dress in family with little money. Nice touch, that.

Thank you @Citizen Rules for nominating this!

Thumbelina is art. Catcher in the Rye is just mean-spirited garbage littered with "the F word!".

Hilarious. The plot is a very original and interesting, considering the stage we're in where the left is getting many negative connotations due to the misandrists who claim to be "feminists". Each of the main characters bring a new element of comedy to the table (I seriously did not intend that pun!). Many quotable lines. Not for a single second did the film feel boring or tedious.

Whether you're a safe-space liberal or a Mexican-hating republican, you're sure to get a good laugh out of this. Absolutely brilliant nom Siddon!

Hmmm, I wonder what else this female director has directed? I might watch it.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I never look at who nominated what when I watch the HoF movies because I don't want my opinion of the movie clouded by anything that I know about the person who nominated it. I watched Take This Waltz thinking it was a rom-com because the movie poster makes it look like a typical rom-com. (On a side note, has there ever been a Rom-Com HoF?)

I thought the biggest problem in Take This Waltz was that there was no chemistry between any of the characters. Even though I liked Lou, (Seth Rogen), I didn't care if Margot, (Michelle Williams), left her husband because they didn't show any scenes of them together before she met the neighbor, Daniel, (Luke Kirby), so I had no attachment to their relationship. And I didn't care if she went with the neighbor because they didn't click either, so it didn't feel like they belonged together either.

Surprisingly, I liked Sarah Silverman in this, and I usually hate her in everything else that I've seen her in.