Big in one decade, gone in the next...

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Dude Holden, awesome thread. Great job!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Dachshunds Fear Me
What a great thread!! Holden, you rule.

I kind of figure Grace Kelly, had she not married Rainier, might've had a Deborah Kerr-style career - ageing gracefully (no pun intended), and playing the still-gorgeous-and-formidable older woman roles, then retiring and being worshipped from afar.

George: Arthur.

Nice work, Holden. Bisset... yummm!

And Richard Benjamin... as a kid, I loved Scavenger Hunt.

My 2 cents...

Jonah Hill, folks

Wishful thinking? I think not. This one trick pony is scheduled for the glue factory and minute now. He peaked in the ebay store scene, in The 40yr Old Virgin.

http://www.sizzlequiz.com/SelectFreeGame.aspx?c=Movies

Well, I don't know that this thread was intended for predictions, but regardless, I dunno about Hill. Witness his presentation with Seth Rogen at the Oscars; he was nobody a year and a half ago, and now he's on stage at the Academy Awards, and he's delivering his lines smoothly and confidently. I can see him fading, to be sure, but not for any lack of talent. He's a funny guy, and to this point his presence in anything makes me want to see it more than I would have otherwise.

John Hughes?

Also Gardens of Stone (1987, in which he's "out-acted" by another "almost star" Dean Stockwell and actual members of the "Old Guard" Army unit who participate in burials at Arlington National Cemetery), For the Boys (1991, in which he has a scene with another almost-star, George Segal, which Segal, nearly unreconizeable in a Santa beard and suit, still manages to dominate), Flesh and Bone, (1993, which was almost a good movie), and the odd Mickey Blue Eyes (1999). Caan hasn't done anything really good in years and at 68 is getting a little long in the tooth for a tough guy or a leading man.

Still, in his earlier years James Caan always came across as a bigger star than he really was--at least to me. I know he had a 20-year cocaine habit that he supposedly beat, but didn't he also drop out for several years to compete on the pro rodeo circuit?

A system of cells interlinked
Molly Ringwald

When I was in school back in the 80s, the John Hughes stuff was in full force. The Breakfast Club was the anthem for the kids of the time, as it crystallized the 80s high school environment pretty well. Hughes nailed what it was like to be in school in the 80s, the cliques, the parties, the the music....

Center Stage in most of his most recognized work was one Molly Ringwald. This fire-haired teen queen was a household name, and her characters were quoted, imitated, and maligned with equal vigor. She had an instantly recognizable look, and decent chops for a teen actor. Personally, I had a crush on her for a couple of years, until I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High a few years later, and went all Phoebe crazy. I realize Fast Times came out about the same time as The Breakfast Club, but I didn't see it until about 1988.

Anyway, I used to love me some Molly Ringwald! She was arguably one of the most popular young stars in the 80s, but she managed to completely vanish in the 90s. Aside from a turn in the Made for TV slaying of Stephen King's The Stand, she fell right off the map.

EDIT - Man that pic is hot. I think I still have a lil something for her.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Just read the posting about James Caan. I've always been a fan of his since I saw him in El Dorado when I was a kid. Dogville was mentioned, but I also liked him as the bagman/enforcer in the underrated The Way of the Gun, which is an amazing little indie - I enjoy it far more than The Usual Suspects. But The Way of the Gun came out in 2000... 12 years ago. Jesus. Where the **** does time go.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Good thread Holden! Right on the money. I'm a big Gould fan too, loved his stuff, including The Silent Partner, and Little Murders. Elizabeth McGovern came back in pretty good force with Downton Abbey series recently, maybe this will put her back in the running.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Kevin Spacey. The man was arguably the best actor of the '90's, with his excellent performances in Se7en, L.A. Confidential, The Usual Suspects and, maybe the best performance of 1999, other than Brad Pitt in Fight Club, American Beauty. Now he's pretty much off the map, starring a few films from time to time (he was pretty decent in Superman Returns), but nothing worth noting.

He's been Artistic Director at the Old Vic (London) for about 10 years. Obviously it doesn't stop him making films (and he's certainly knocked a few out in that time) but I think that's where his focus is now.

Semper Fooey
Rick Moranis

Billy Crystal

Danny De Vito

Richard Dreyfuss

Jill Clayburgh

George C. Scott who once retired briefly when he was still popular then unretired and stayed unretired when his career had dwindled to almost nothing.

Starting with the violent pimp in Klute (1971 - Pakula), then the partner in The French Connection (1972 - Friedkin) - netting Roy a Best Supporting Actor nomination at the Academy Awards, just as good starring in its Hackman-less unofficial sequel The Seven-Ups (1973 - Philip D'Antoni), to the underseen The Outside Man (1972 - Jacques Deray), and a little cult flick probably nobody ever heard of called Jaws (1975), Roy Scheider was incredibly successful in the first half of the 1970s. And he stayed pretty damn hot with Marathon Man (1976 - Schlesinger), Billy Friedkin's decent but panned reworking of Wages of Fear called Sorcerer (1977), begrudgingly signing on for only the first sequel in Jaws 2 (1978) - which still managed to do healthy boxoffice despite the fall-off in quality, Jonathan Demme's solid Hitchcock ode Last Embrace (1979) and capping it off with Bob Fosse's thinly-veiled nightmare-stylized autobiography All That Jazz (1979) which even earned him an Oscar nomination as Best Actor (the year Marathon Man co-star Hoffman finally won for Kramer vs. Kramer). By just about any standard, that was a monster decade for an actor.

It's a shame the '80s weren't as kind to him, with Blue Thunder (1983) being the best of the bunch. The unnecessary sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984), Cohen & Tate (1989) and 52 Pick-Up (1986) are all OK for what they are, and Roy always does his best. But most of the rest of what he did in the decade was anywhere from forgettable to dreadful (Still of the Night, Night Game, Listen to Me), and none of them made a dent at the boxoffice (other than Blue Thunder, which did respectible business but became a hit on video). He never made a real smooth transition into older supporting character actor in the industry's eyes in the '90s. Though I think he's fantastic in The Russia House (1990 - Fred Schepisi), Naked Lunch (1991 - Cronenberg) and Romeo is Bleeding (1993 - Peter Medak), he has been used sparingly since then. I understand why he took that silly Spielberg-produced "SeaQuest DSV" TV show, but it was pretty cheesy Sci-Fi stuff. Now you'll see him pop up in dreck like The Punisher every once in a while.

Sad. He was way frickin' cool back in the day.

Awesome post - I've always felt that Roy Scheider was a ridiculously underrated, underused and underappreciated actor. I've always loved his acting; very naturalistic and nuanced. You couldn't ever catch the dude 'acting', he made it all look completely effortless.

And from all accounts, he was a really nice person, too. Great artist. I really miss him.

This might just do nobody any good.
Will Smith is trying so hard to stay out of this thread.

This might just do nobody any good.
Rick Moranis would do great in “Always Sunny...”

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Will Smith is trying so hard to stay out of this thread.
Definitely Will Smith.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Ryan O'Neal

He did some forgettably bad flicks during the decade as well as one unforgettably bad movie in Norman Mailer's notorious Tough Guys Don't Dance (1987) - though it does belong in the so-terrible-it's-mesmerizing category.

To me, this is the worst acting ever. This isn't Tommy Wiseau, this is a legitimate, established actor doing this.