14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I watched Fink, will work on write up

A few. Arizona Dream, Time of the Gypsies and Underground. I should track down more as I like what I have seen a great deal.
I have yet to see " Underground " which I'm very excited about. How does it compare to the rest ? Apart from mentioned films, I've seen Palm d'Or winner " When Father Was Away on Business" and " Life is a Miracle " probably last great effort by Kusturica. Both great films you should probably seek, though complexity of their plot may prove to be a challenge to a non-Balkan viewer. I also have to rewatch his debut "Do You Remember Dolly Bell " as it's been a while since I've last seen it. I wouldn't bother with his newer stuff. From what I've heard it's pretty bad.

Legend in my own mind
Half way through 'Lone star' will finish it in the morning.

I watched The Hurricane last night. Will get my thoughts up soon.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Let the night air cool you off
I'm in the middle of Lone Star myself. Sadly, I'm more disappointed than excited about it so far. I'm digging the story for the most part though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Mommy

Watching this last night I didn't remember who's nomination this was and, today, seeing that this was @cricket, made perfect sense.
From the movies I've seen in these HoFs, for Cricket, there is something inherently "real" in his nominations. That is, regarding the people portrayed within these films. They are not characters, roles or personifications, but brutally, unabashedly real. You didn't see a performance by an actor, you see the person, warts and all, as they say.

And Mommy is another of those films. That raw, unflinching truth of those in the film where they are human beings for good or bad, and not some ideology of any given characteristic. They are incredibly flawed, there is no glamorized imagery or stoic presentation in a positive light.
Which, very easily, can go either way. You can flat out hate them or appreciate the fact they are the bare bones of human nature and run with it and find some beautiful within the darkness.

For my own personal reactions I think it may be tossed into that old man syndrome.
Ya see, when I was a young punk/trouble maker, a number of the people I hung out with WERE, pretty much, give or take, Steve. Of course we didn't have doctors labeling them with a disorder, we simply called them for what they were: crazy, psycho f@cks and I had the most fun seeing how far they would go and what dangerous scenario played out from me instigating them.
That younger me would have loved Steve. Seeing him punch the male nurses that tried to grab him, spinning shopping carts around in happy, destructive abandon and so forth -- Except when it came to the violence toward his mom. I remember some of that ***** in similar scenarios back then and at the time I was too much of a runt to stop it.
I could TRY to claim that as a reason, but I can't. I actually cheered the male nurse that swung back and ACTUALLY said, when Die complained about them hitting him, "Really? After how many times he hit several of them? Really? Kick that lil punk's @ss."
So, yeah, it is a case of old man syndrome.

Regardless of that, it is a positive thing when any movie gets you to react strongly. And Mommy definitely gets that done. Or rather, maybe, to its credit, it makes us think about the "whys" of how we react.
I mean, when they pulled up to the sanitarium, I completely understood and agreed with what Die was doing. It truly had come to that. And I did sympathize, but I didn't feel sad or brokenhearted about it either. Which is a first. Seen that scene play out in countless movies and this this was the very first time I didn't feel for the one being locked up. Hmmm. . . strange, that.

Still, while it was a rough movie to sit through it was still, very much, a very well done movie. So, thank you @cricket for that.

Let the night air cool you off
Lone Star

This one was a bummer for me, because I had high expectations. It's a film with an interesting premise, a director I've heard only good things about, a great locale, and McConaughey and Kristofferson. I just don't think it ever really grows into a great film. It just keeps coming up short despite amazing potential. The camera work at times shows something, but it just feels like a soulless action instead of a breathtaking movement from a master. The dialogue never really seems to bite or be all that believable. Most of the time, the film is pretty predictable, with a "twist" at the end that didn't make me feel much of anything. The subplot with Otis Payne's son and grandson felt unnecessary to me. I liked McConaughey and Kristofferson's portrayals of the two cops, but a lot of the other acting was pretty wooden and stiff. A lot of people love this, but I feel like I'm missing something here. All the pieces of the puzzle just didn't fit together for me, and maybe the problem is that there were too many pieces for its own good.

It's been a crazy week. A family member died, 3 others had birthdays, I got a second job, had to watch my brother's dog, our freezer suddenly stopped working, and we discovered wasps in the cupboard.

I think things have settled down now though, and I'm hoping to get a film watched today. Since I haven't written anything in what feels like ages, it might take a day or two to get a review formed. I usually find it difficult to put thoughts to words if I haven't written anything in awhile.

It's been a crazy week. A family member died, 3 others had birthdays, I got a second job, had to watch my brother's dog, our freezer suddenly stopped working, and we discovered wasps in the cupboard.

I think things have settled down now though, and I'm hoping to get a film watched today. Since I haven't written anything in what feels like ages, it might take a day or two to get a review formed. I usually find it difficult to put thoughts to words if I haven't written anything in awhile.
GOOD LORD, girl!! Sounds like you're living a dark comedy indie film titled "Wasps in the Cupboard".

My condolences for the loss of a family member - sending you love and verbal hugs
3 best wishes for those who's birthday happened during this time -- talk about the powerful symbolism of life and death playing out in such a way.
Congrats on the second job, fingers crossed on hoping it doesn't wear you out too badly
Hope the dog watching was the LEAST of your anxieties and in some ways, found a little peace with it around
broken freezer. . . did you lose food or end up having multiple HUGE meals via multiple entres?
wasps in the cupboard. . . I don't know even how to respond to that one --- D@MN

I can totally understand Lone Star not working for some people. I watched it about 4 times to fully appreciate it. Not saying that's a concrete way to like it, just in my case. The reason I gave it so many chances is still kind of a mystery. There is something about the mood of it that kept drawing me back. I'll watch it again within a week or two and see if I still feel the same.

@edarsenal Thank you. It was a lot to happen in one week, but it was just exhausting rather than being stressful - except for the freezer breaking, which freaked everyone out a bit.

The freezer does kind of half work. It'll spit out cold air for a little while, then completely go dead for a long time, to the point where it warms up significantly before cutting in again. We have a separate stand-alone deep freeze, so I transferred as much as I could from the freezer to that one, and took things out of the deep freeze that could thaw and refreeze without poisoning us (bread, ice cream, etc) to make room. Repairman I talked to thinks there's a problem with the coolant or the fan, and someone is coming by tomorrow to look at it.

As for the wasps, there was really only 1 wasp in the cupboard, plus a bee in the kitchen. Saying that there were "wasps in the cupboard" is more amusing though. I managed to catch and release the bee outside, but the wasp was very angry and wouldn't chill in one place long enough for me to catch it in a glass. I ended up herding it into a storage room and locking it in there. I kept going out to see if it was being less aggressive, but I can't seem to find it. It's either hiding, or it escaped out the crack in the window screen. I've been keeping the doors shut anyway though haha.

"wasps in the cupboard" DOES make for better writing. Rather a nice title or hell, a name for a band lol
glad to hear you had the back up deep freezer. Wouldn't mind getting one of those one day.
we get a lot of bees and wasps around the house as well. We try to shoo them out when we can. We've had a couple of hives near windows and one year at the top of the front door. Actually liked that one, kept solicitors away.

@edarsenal Thank you. It was a lot to happen in one week, but it was just exhausting rather than being stressful -

except for the freezer breaking, which freaked everyone out a bit.
Sorry to hear all that Cosmic.

I don't know why but the freezer part made me smile (not at your bad fortune, but at the way you told the story) Oh, damn wasp! I was stung in the throat by a yellow jacket wasp a few days ago, it hurt!

Oh, damn wasp! I was stung in the throat by a yellow jacket wasp a few days ago, it hurt!
That sounds absolutely horrible. Hope you're feeling better now!

I've never been stung by a wasp or bee, so I'm a little nervous around them in case I'm secretly allergic to them or something.

(I feel obligated to include this haha)