1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mr. Lucky

Pretty solid nomination and glad that someone was able to find it for me to watch. I'm a pretty big Cary Grant fan, and while I wouldn't put this high up on a list of his great performances, he was still enjoyable in it. So was Laraine Day and I thought that the two of them had pretty good chemistry together. Two scenes stood out for me, the opening scene on the ship before the flashback was very well done. In fact, I was kind of hoping a lot of the storytelling of the film would have been done that way (even though it wasn't). I also enjoyed the gambling scene near the end. There were some scenes that kind of were a lull for me and it generally affected my overall enjoyment of the film. Still, I can say it was a fairly worthy competitor in this HOF.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Mr. Lucky

Pretty solid nomination and glad that someone was able to find it for me to watch. I'm a pretty big Cary Grant fan, and while I wouldn't put this high up on a list of his great performances, he was still enjoyable in it. So was Laraine Day and I thought that the two of them had pretty good chemistry together. Two scenes stood out for me, the opening scene on the ship before the flashback was very well done. In fact, I was kind of hoping a lot of the storytelling of the film would have been done that way (even though it wasn't). I also enjoyed the gambling scene near the end. There were some scenes that kind of were a lull for me and it generally affected my overall enjoyment of the film. Still, I can say it was a fairly worthy competitor in this HOF.

+

I'm glad you were able to watch Mr. Lucky and you at least enjoyed it enough that it was worth your time.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ride the Pink Horse

This was my second time seeing this movie, and I really love it. The first thing that I like is the atmosphere and the setting of the film. It gives the film a mysterious, uneasy feeling for me. Next, I enjoyed all of the acting. I think Robert Montgomery played the role perfectly. Some say he's cold, but for me I compare it to how Gary Cooper was in High Noon, just had a cool streak about him. I loved him exploring the town and talking to everyone before he finds his eventual purpose of being in Mexico. I loved Pancho and he also provided comedic relief. And there is just something about Pila that I really liked, maybe it was the sense of mystery behind her character. I thought Wanda Hendrix did a great job. Also the film is beautiful and the setting and scenery is fantastic. I can only hope to see this film squeeze onto the 40s list. I'll certainly be supporting it.

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I am SOOOO the last one at the party lol

good news, finished Day of Wrath tonight -- very SOMBER movie that one and will be knocking out Beauty and the Beast and then the HARD part, making a list

Day of Wrath

What a truly cinematic dirge - and I don't actually mean that in a bad way either.

Especially since that was the specific direction that was intended and it is delivered, in full, without compromise.

This was quite a hard watch. Not for the pacing, which, I admit, was a concern for me when going into this. Which was easily remedied by knowing, beforehand, so I was more than ready for that. It was the subject matter: witch trials. I'm well-educated in the olde time practice, its hypocrisy, it's oppression and bleakness. . . it does a soul a bitter turn.

Which, again, the film must be applauded for bringing ALL of that to view and done with a critical and ominous overtone that remains with you throughout. From the opening script to Anne's "confession" at the end with an almost angelic/martyr appearance as she did so.
I have to admit, at first, I was enraged to see her confess. It was later on that I understood and if I had to live that life, I'd say "light me, b!tches." So I do see her futility and that is nearly as heartbreaking as seeing Marte's demise without the graphic scenario.

Before ending this I do need to applaud the use of shadow AND of the more brighter scenes that seeped into you, whether you wanted it to or not. Truly, a cinematic dirge, indeed.

Bravo, Thursday

Beauty and the Beast

When reality is such a callous marauder it is the sweet nectar of the fantastic that imbibes and comforts.

And such is the 180 spin from the cruel truths of witch hunts to to a magical castle where mirrors reveals what is in your heart, statues watch, without judgement; hands holding candelabras light your way and the only crime committed by beast, is the wish to be loved.

While I must admit, some of the acting is very theatrical, it is, in the end, rather apropos for this production of such an ageless tale.
In truth, I found that I enjoyed everyone in this. Especially the scoundrel brother, Ludovic, he really made me laugh when he poked fun of his sisters.
For Belle, though she is humble in the beginning, there is a very definitive nobility to her as she becomes accustomed to the life within the castle and I rather liked that.
As for the same actor playing both the friend and the beast I think I found that had a bit of a symbolic presence. The Beast embodying the fantasy and the friend, Avenant as the reality of a leading man, and it plays out quite well.

Even knowing all the nuances of this very familiar story I was still caught up in the execution of said tale. And, while a bit silly at times, I think Willy Wonka says it best: "I little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."

Thank you, Cosmic for a little nonsense.

And now, being the last at the party, to turn off the lights, kick aside the empties, cover some of the bigger spills with towels and get my vote together so we can wrap this very excellent HoF up and see how it all turns out.