Suspect's Top 50 Films You Hate, But He Loves.

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't need DVDs that badly.
You're giving up a chance to OWN Suburban Commando?!?!?!?!

Suspect's Reviews

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Remembering enjoying Final Destination at the theaters. The best part was taking others to it and watching their reaction to the bus scene.
This movie had some great "make you jump" scenes to it.

Own Chronicles of Riddick and watch it quite often.

Top Ten

10. End of Days

11%

"I liked Eraser. It's not as good as Total Recall and Predator, but it's waaaaaaay better than End of Days."

"The movie is as bloodless as a cyborg, and it feels as if it has been assembled according to diagrams supplied by someone who studied every successful sci-fi action thriller and then multiplied the findings by 10."

"Movies like this are particularly vulnerable to logic."

@Steve Freeling I had to use your quote because it was too perfect not to.

Arnold in an action horror film? Sign me up. Sign me all the way up.

Peter Hyams delivers on the goods here, he's a director notorious for ignoring logic, character development and story in favour for entertainment. I say heck yes to that. End of Days is a perfect example of a film that doesn't take itself too seriously and enjoy the carnage on the screen. Gabriel Byrne plays the devil and he pisses gasoline in one scene for crying out loud. Then he has a body morphing threesome and Arnold compares him to a choir boy....A CHOIR BOY!!!! Sorry, flashbacks to an Arnold soundboard just hit me.

I'm a sucker for religious apocalypse type flicks and End of Days is one of those movies. It's right up my wheel house and while I'm sure there are plenty of other actors out there that could have serviced this role better, I wouldn't want anyone else but Arnold here.

It's a weird film for him isn't it though? It seems like something he would never do and yet, here it is. Maybe it takes multiple viewings to appreciate it? I thought it didn't work on my first viewing, but looking back I must admit I was wrong. This film works and it is awesome.

9. The 13th Warrior

33%

"The 13th Warrior indulges in enough grubby histrionics and costume-adventure clichés to give you fifth-grade flashbacks."

"The 13th Warrior is a brazen attempt to brand Antonio Banderas as an A-lister with a C-grade script. Failure attends."

"With a budget said to be more than $100 million, it displays a lot of cash on the screen, but little thought."

I remember being at the theatre with my uncle, he use to take me to the movies all the time. In fact, we saw Final Destination together and Me Myself & Irene. So he asks me what movie I want to see. I saw either Universal Soldier: The Return or The 13th Warrior. He regretted asking me and we ended up seeing The 13th Warrior. He did not like it. I thought it was barbarically awesome.

Banderas plays an Arab, tasked with accompanying Vikings North to fight an enemy that comes in the mist, has claws and tears your flesh from your bones. He's the 13th Warrior and together, must save the tribe from these horrifying creatures.

A little Seven Samurai-ish, but the film never tries to reach those heights. It's more concerned with looking authentic and feeling raw. Mission accomplished on both accounts. The 13th Warrior is intense and gritty. How many Viking movies are out there, let alone are good?

One memorable scene involves no violence at all. It's simply Banderas trying to learn their language at a campfire and slowly he learns. As he learns their language, McTernan slides in bits of English. Until the audience can fully understand them as well. A thoughtful scene and one that I like to ignore that Banderas is Arab and probably wouldn't be speaking English.

13th Warrior is an under appreciated brutal flick that deserves a little bit more attention.

Welcome to the human race...
Just for the hell of it, I went digging into one of my old threads to find what I wrote about End of Days...

#382 - End of Days
Peter Hyams, 1999

In the days leading up to New Year's Eve 1999, an ex-cop is drawn into a Satanic conspiracy to bring about the apocalypse.

Given my pet theory about how the best Schwarzenegger movies are the ones that don't need him to work but are all the better for his presence, I'm still unsure if End of Days proves or disproves my theory. The man himself is not too bad here as he plays one very wounded individual whose personal issues are compounded and challenged by the Devil's prophesied plans for world domination. He really does need to be good enough to carry a rather uninspired plot that plods along through a variety of supernaturally-themed moments of action and horror that are only intermittently interesting. It's not without its merits, but it does feel awfully disposable in ways where not even having a Serious Actor in the leading role would help.

That being said, I'd probably go a little easier on it these days (much like with Constantine). Weird Arnold is always worth watching in any case.

13th Warrior is also one of those movies that seems destined to languish in the depths of my Netflix watchlist until I decide to watch it and find that it expired ages ago, but I may have to push it up the list now.

8. Smokin' Aces

29%

"It wants to be a Tarantino-esque dark comedy about gun-slinging, substance-abusing lowlifes. But instead it's a convoluted, slap-happy, humorless bloodfest."

"Did Carnahan think these sickening scenes would give Smokin' Aces a moral complexity that's generally absent from this genre? I think they make the picture seem even more morally bankrupt."

"One question hovers over the carnage, though: Whom the hell are we supposed to root for? The closest the movie comes to sympathetic assassins are its hit ladies, yet the payoff to their subplot is the weakest of the bunch."

There is a scene in this film where a sniper takes out a few FBI agents from another building across the street. The feds then blindly return fire with their pistols and a freakin' shotgun. I don't even want to begin to think about the random civilian casualties in this scenario. But it sure as hell looks cool.

With an star studded cast: Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Chris Pine, Common, Jeremy Pivon, Ryan Reynolds, Andy Garcia, Alicia Keys, Ray Liotta, Matthew Fox, Peter Berg, Taraji P. Henson, Kevin Durand, Tommy Flanagan and Joel Edgerton, you'd think this film would have a hard time balancing all these famous faces. Nope. Each character serves their purpose and is given the right amount of screen time. This is the second Carnahan film is make the list, I guess I'm a bigger fan of him than most.

Absurd story developments, minimal character developments, if at all and insane action logic are just some of the bits to expect from this wild ride. It doesn't care. It wants to entertain you, job well done. It's a film about a bunch of hitmen and assassins meeting up at a hotel to take out one specific target, expect action galore and not much else.

Haven't seen any of the top ten so far. I have seen the Nostaligia Critic episode of End of Days though, to my surprise it didn't look quite as stupid as i thought it would while still looking very stupid. The main impression i got was that it took itself too seriously for what it is but that's from cherrypicked scenes someone picked to make fun of.

7. John Carpenter's Vampires

37%

"You have to hand it to James Woods: He doesn't go out of his way to make himself likeable on screen."

"It is a sad state of affairs when John Carpenter can make something as misguided and flatly written and filmed as Vampires."

"I'd rather have Peter Vincent on my side than Jack Crow and company."

One of my all-time favourite John Carpenter films. The fact that it came so late in his career when people were basically done with him makes me like it even more.

A vampire hunter must retrieve an ancient Catholic cross that could give vampires the ability to walk in the daylight.

James Woods is badass, heck even his name is badass. Jack Crow. He plays up the 'prick' role he is so well known for, extremely well. It might be hard to like the guy, but he gets the job done. His team is essentially killed and he must go about it alone, with the only help being the laziest Baldwin brother.

The heat boils off the screen, the vampire deaths help that fact. Each one bursts into flames until nothing but bones are left, which are used as trophies. Despicable language, blood and guts, this movie has everything that a young child should not watch, yet there I was.

This is his best film in decades.

I thought this was a pretty good movie. I mean it is 93 on the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies list.
That was one of the first Countdowns done here, there was a small amount of participants so one high placing or a couple of mid to low ones could get something on the list, particularly in the bottom ten like that.

Not saying it did or did not deserve a place just explaining it, and mostly trying to make people see that we should do another one at some point

Welcome to the human race...
I'll file Smokin' Aces under stuff I used to think was cool but have had next to no desire to revisit despite having plenty of chances. Vampires, on the other hand, I would probably revisit if I had the chance since I still rank it in the lower half of Carpenter's output and want to be sure about its placement.

Great list of movies. If there is something I've learned, its thats critics don't really know what people want.