Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Killer Joe

First, The Visceral: HOLY F@CKIN ***** was that messed up!!!
and now, The Cerebral: A truly taut, and at times, intimating bit of cinema. You are snatched up from the opening rain deluge and pulled in - literally. There is an intimacy that puts you within the rooms and you are unable to escape. I do not mean this in a claustrophobic sense. You are merely put INTO a spiraling situation going completely out of control. Done with diabolical precision. And yes, to concur with Visceral, that ***** was messed up!!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
+ I was so-so about seeing Samuel L Jackson (whom I love) playing another bizarre villain. Terrified of the inevitable insane rant that, thankful, was kept contained - thank you. He does a great job at it, but I've already see it a dozen other times, that's all.
The rest of the movie IS enjoyable, not extraordinary, but quite enjoyable. Rather liked the darker aspects of the children. Nice to see, gave them a more rounded persona.

The Bleeding (2009)

Wow, I don't know where to start. This is not a very good movie but somehow I kept watching. All about a guy who is after his brother, who used to be a soldier but is now the head vampire of the movie. Our hero, who goes by the name of Black, is played by Michael Matthias, a poor-man's Vin Diesel, complete with the ripped muscles and the bald head. His vamp-brother is played by none other than Vinnie Jones! We also have a gun-toting priest, played by Michael Madsen. Jones and Madsen are what drew me to this, and Madsen does a decent job here. But, Jones, oy vey! I cracked up when I saw him show up in a long coat, with a long-haired wig, a large-brimmed pimp hat, snarling in a silly way, looking like he was cracking up like I was. Madsen has blessed the cache of weapons they use on the warehouse of vampires, so one shot and they're down, but the good guys use them to excess, pouring machine gun lead into them. Madsen tells Matthias that the main aim is to destroy their coffins which are being loaded into a tractor-trailer rig. After much shooting and fighting, there is a "Road Warrior" style chase at night after the rig, with Matthias standing on top of the rig while a hot chick drives, firing at the chase vehicles with Uzis, then suddenly he's got a shotgun in his hand. Vampires are shot, flail in slow motion, then fast, for no discernible reason. The editing is like it was done by a Sushi Chef, the whole look of the film is a few shades darker than normal, I guess to give the film an ominous look. Big fail on that count. Oops, forgot to say that Madsen tells Matthias that the only way to kill his vampire brother is with a special sword. When it's given to Matthias, it glows with crappy CGI effects. Of course, Jones has a sword of his own and there's a big duel. And all the while, Matthias is narrating the movie in a monotone way, so you know he'll come through. Still, I liked some of it for Madsen's sake and for the goofy action-chase at the end. If you want to have something kooky playing in the background, then this is your ticket. If you want a movie to mock ala MST3K-style, here you go. If you want to watch a movie that sucks out loud but is still watchable, jump on! The two bags of popcorn are one for Madsen, and one for the goofy chase.

Rather liked the darker aspects of the children.
They should have made a movie entirely focused on the children since they were the extraordinary ones. Instead they made another generic fantasy movie.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

The Void is a film I was looking forward to. The film feels similar to a lot of the low-budget science-fiction horror films from the 80s which is a lot of why I was excited about it from the get-go, and on an aesthetic level, I enjoyed it. The film itself though is comprised of paper-thin characters and a narrative that leaves a lot to be desired. The Void isn't what I'd call a good film. It's very rough around the edges and the concept definitely should have been fleshed out a lot more than it was. Still, I really did enjoy the practical effects and I am excited for what the future holds for the directors.

Welcome to the human race...
All That Jazz -

Gaudy, tightly-constructed visuals mixed with a genuinely affecting existential crisis. Definitely my kind of musical.

Escape from New York - 1981
I first watched this movie back when I was 13 to 14 years old and I loved it. Watching it now, I completely understand why I loved it. This movie feels like a teenager wrote and directed it, similar to 2013’s Pacific Rim. This by no means is a critic, this movie is awesome and holds up to this day, but let’s talk about our hero.

Kurt Russell plays S.D. Bob “Snake” Plissken but you better call him Snake. He is the equivalent of what every 13-year-old boy thinks is badass. He has long hair, an eye patch, a raspy voice, scar on his face, no sleeves, a tattoo of a snake and his nickname is Snake. I mean is there anything else you would want from your badass hero? He is a former military lieutenant, now criminal that is offered a clean slate if he rescues the president.

Escape from New York is just fun very few movies like this are made today. The premise is simple, the execution is perfect and the characters are memorable. I had fun watching this movie again and at the end of the day that’s a huge part of why I love movies.

Pacific Rim 7/10
Her 8/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
30 For 30: One and Not Done

I don't watch college basketball (just the NBA) but I find the coaches interesting, especially a guy I've been hearing for all my life.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962, Agnès Varda)

Uncertainty is worse than knowing the truth, no matter how bad.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Manchester By The Sea (2016)

Broken uncle is forced to care for his nephew.

What a clean, beautiful look at human loss and sadness. Puts you immediately in a deep melancholy, without being obvious about it. Casey Affleck has rocketed past his brother for sheer angst performance, well deserving of his Oscar. Michelle Williams is phenomenal -brought me to tears in the simplest of scenes. Lucas Hedges is wonderfully fresh and plays so well against Affleck.

Great film. 9.3 tears out of 10

Beauty and the beast. An enjoyable enough live action movie version of the classic fairy tale, recommended family viewing felt that it appeals to women more than a ultra masculine rock hard tough guy like me though (lol)

You can't win an argument just by being right!

The Void is a film I was looking forward to. The film feels similar to a lot of the low-budget science-fiction horror films from the 80s which is a lot of why I was excited about it from the get-go, and on an aesthetic level, I enjoyed it. The film itself though is comprised of paper-thin characters and a narrative that leaves a lot to be desired. The Void isn't what I'd call a good film. It's very rough around the edges and the concept definitely should have been fleshed out a lot more than it was. Still, I really did enjoy the practical effects and I am excited for what the future holds for the directors.
I felt the same as you. I didnt know anything about this other than it was horror genre. Really enjoyed the 80s Carpenter feel and it reminded me a lot of The Thing, especially with fx, the constant tension, and the score. Did not like the strobe lighting at times - that quite hurt my peepers - and at the end Mr D and I looked at each other and said Huh? Otherwise, it was pretty good. No jump scares - thank goodness for that - but steady suspense. I also look forward to seeing more of their work.

Manchester By The Sea (2016)

What a clean, beautiful look at human loss and sadness. Puts you immediately in a deep melancholy, without being obvious about it. Casey Affleck has rocketed past his brother for sheer angst performance, well deserving of his Oscar. Michelle Williams is phenomenal -brought me to tears in the simplest of scenes. Lucas Hedges is wonderfully fresh and plays so well against Affleck.

Great film. 9.3 tears out of 10
I've been putting this off because it's a tissue boxer. Not sure whether to just dive straight in or get high on pure cacao first.

You got to be in the mood for it, for sure!
Melancholic movies can wreck my weekend, earl, so I'll decide at the last minute this weekend. I want to see it for the acting which everyone raves about so I'm sort of in two minds.

Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance - 2015

Had fun with this one, full review over at my site!

Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance is the weirdest music video I have ever seen, but I got to see Tommy Wiseau dressed up as a Samurai and that’s why I love movies.