The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Thanks Nope for stepping up to host this .

You messing up slightly is cool, it amazes me that this is pretty much the first time. Great job Nope, i've really enjoyed you as host

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Ok, so right now I'm going to continue with the list. I will later go over the lists and see what the problem is, so there may be some re ordering of the films. I feel really sorry for messing this up, and hopefully I'll get it all sorted out, but for now, on with the list.

All is good, Nope.

It's a painful task to run a list.
Accepting votes, checking eligibility, counting numbers, making pictures, choosing layout, writing up the numbers... it's a lot of work.
I think one accident is allowed

Ok, as I was getting the next two films ready, I realized one of my mistakes! I accidentally wrote "18th (x2)" instead of "17th (x2)" in the stats post (but everything was correct in the excel sheet) which accounts for dadgumbah and Captain Steel's missing 17ths. I feel really stupid for not noticing this for so long. That solves one of the problems, however SC's missing 15th place is still a mystery.

That solves one of the problems, however SC's missing 15th place is still a mystery.
My mysteries are typically hard to solve.

The Stats

The Fifth Element

This film is tied (or at least I thought it was) with Star Trek II, but was one one more list. This is also the first film to be placed first more than once.

Layout: 1st (x2), 9th, 10th, 12th (x3), 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 25th (x3)

Arrival

No more ties!

Layout: 5th, 8th, 9th (x2), 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th (x2), 14th, 19th, 21st, 24th

I watched The Fifth Element until she escaped from her cage. It was difficult to watch for me. I'm sure its an alright film but the first 40 minutes were really terrible.

I watched The Fifth Element until she escaped from her cage. It was difficult to watch for me. I'm sure its an alright film but the first 40 minutes were really terrible.
Haven't really understood the craze for the movie, either.

I didn't vote for Arrival as I haven't seen it yet. But The Fifth Element was my #25. Oy, I'm falling fast before we even reach the Top 25!

List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#25 The Fifth Element .34

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
6. Altered States (1980)
10. Minority Report (2002)
11. Contact (1997)
13. Arrival (2016)

"The Fifth Element" was my #1 flick. "Arrival" would have been my #1 had I waited longer before I sent my list. So this set right here is peak sky-fi for my viewer drooling.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
0/2 for me.The Fifth Element always has something going on, but it's probably the craziest movie since The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension and Lifeforce and is perhaps only better because of the added millions of dollars. Arrival is a good thinking person's sci-fi, but not good enough for me to add to my list. Villeneuve is a good director but he hasn't made anything yet which blew me away.

3. The Incredibles (#98)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
18. Gravity (#41)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)

Seen: 68/68
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 28/68

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen either The Fifth Element or Arrival, but they're both on my watchlist.

Seen: 55-1/2 out of 68
My list: 6 so far

4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

The Fifth Element is kind of ridiculous, but it's also a whole lot of fun. I love the colorful and bizarre world that it builds, but moreso I love the film's sense of humor. It's one of my favorite movies and I voted for it at number 9.

My Ballot:
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Demolition Man
9. The Fifth Element
12. Signs
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
25. Caveman

The Fifth Element....It's been years since I seen it, and then it was only the one time. All I remember is this odd Bjork type chick with orange hair, and a crazy outfit made of left over bandages from one of the Mummy movies. Seemed like a fun flick.

Arrival
, I wasn't impressed, except with the aliens and their language. My review of Arrival, read it and tell me why I'm crazy

Nope, everything is copacetic (second time I got to use that word)