The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I absolutely love Primer, and I'm happy it made the list.

I found it very clever that they were not using the jargon to justify the hard-sci-fi, but rather to emulate how out of their depth the characters were. And so the whole movie plays like a puzzle, and actually trusts his audience to play with it, instead of giving all the answers on a plate.

There is not one sci-fi movie that I like better than that one, so I put it at sweet spot #1

I have seen They Live, 56 Body Snatchers, and Interstellar but voted for neither. I have not seen Primer.

They Live is a great movie with one of the best fist fights ever and Roddy Piper in an awesome action role.

I saw Body Snatchers when I was a kid and thought it was great.

Interstellar I thought was very visually captivating, but everything else was meh.

4. The Avengers (2012)
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
20. Escape from New York (1981)

My List: 3
Seen: 40/58

Nice pair.

Primer (Budget $7,000)

Interstellar (Budget $165 million)

There you go, kids. All you need is a few thousand dollars, an idea, and the will to make it happen, and you too could have a movie next to a $165 million blockbuster on a Mofo Countdown!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Love Interstellar, very ambitious and I'm not sure it quite pulls off the mind boggling ending. I think the "docking scene" is the film scene of the millennium so far, the organ music and ticking clock, the fate of humanity riding on one impoosible manoeuvre had me literally not breathing in the cinema, incredible scene. Other incredible moments later on like the father/daughter reunion. Visually too like others have said it has wonderful moments although I thought the film Gravity released around the same time captured Space more beautifully than any film before or since.

Primer I remember watching after midnight on TV and the intro said it was this cult classic so I had to watch, perhaps due to the late hour I found it very tough to follow and wasn't very impressed, I'm not even sure I finished it before falling asleep, astonished to see it this high, but kudos aswell for making a renowned film for $7k.

@Miss Vicky

Miss Vicky re Dark City, touche my dear, touche. However I was aware that Dark City was out around a year before the Matrix but that wont matter to those comparing the two, also take away the Kung Fu and slow mo and the Matrix is still a way better film in my opinion, at least there is a reason for slow mo within the story of the film as opposed to terrible slow mo imitations released in the years after, like say Bulletproof Monk or Wanted.

Welcome to the human race...
Primer is a respectable choice and seeing it pop up relatively high is a pleasant surprise.

Interstellar, on the other hand, is neither pleasant or a surprise.

Interstellar was #5 on my list, while Dark City narrowly missed out on it. There's still a couple of uncertain films on my list that I hope will show up soon...

My list so far, with predictions:
1. Top 5
2. Top 10
3. Contact (#49)
4. Top 20
5. Interstellar (#43)
6. Top 50
7. Will probably make it, but may not
8. Top 50
9. Top 50
10. Top 50
11. Avatar (#80)
12. Top 5
13. Top 10
14. Will probably make it, but may not
15. Dune (#99)
16. Top 50
17. Probably won't make it
18. Probably won't make it
19. Top 20
20. May or may not make it
21. Top 50
22. Gattaca (#51)
23. Serenity (#59)
24. Strange Days (#81)
25. Earthbound (one-pointer)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Primer - did not make my list. I enjoyed it for the fact that it was basically a one man show shot on an extremely low budget. It has gained this ungodly like cult following since then, does it deserve it? I'm not so sure. Decent enough, but the audio on the film is utter garbage. So bad that it distracts from the experience.

Interstellar - #20 I'm a big Nolan fan and watching this in IMax was a real treat. Visually enthralling, emotional depth to characters and just enough mind boggling science to make you want to go back and experience it again. While not my favourite Nolan film (nowhere close to be exact) I applaud the ambition here and believe it does deserve a spot on this list.

I honestly expect every single one of my movies to make this list and would be shocked if any one of them is left off.

My List:

#1: Dark City
#7: Minority Report
#9: District 9
#16: Ghostbusters
#17: Avatar
#19: Serenity
#20: Interstellar
#21: Donnie Darko
#25: Edge of Tomorrow

Suspect's Reviews

Interesteller whole concept remind me of something i just cannot think if its one movie or several different movies. The movie while visionary amazing just seemed too complicated by movies end. Martian was slow paced but i enjoyed it much more.

The original Don Siegel Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the fifth from my list to make the countdown. I had it as my #13 pick, three spots above the Phil Kaufman '78 remake. Here is my bi-annual plug for my thread devoted to the subgenre of alien body snatching (clicky HERE).

MY LIST:
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956 (#46)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Primer a while back when a few people here were talking about it, and I think I liked it, but it was so confusing that I'm not really sure. I still have it on my watchlist to rewatch it at a later date. I hope that I'll understand it more the second time I see it.

I liked Interstellar, and I considered it for my list, but it just didn't make the cut.

Seen: 47-1/2 out of 58
My list: 4 so far

13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

Have yet to see Interstellar but definitely will some day. Sad to say I've never even heard of Primer. That's what I love about this site and these countdowns---finding out about movies that I may otherwise never be aware of. Anyway, neither made my list.

List so far:
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

Have yet to see Interstellar

You won't go wrong tbh.
I blind bought it after hearing good things, and glad to have it on the shelf as well.

Just be ready for an ending that can confuse... I got it first time, but some people I've seen on t'web were baffled by the first part of act 3.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Back to the Future Part II

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 3rd, 8th (x3), 10th, 13th, 18th, 20th, 24th

Gravity

Also wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 3rd, 8th, 9th (x2), 14th, 18th (x2), 20th (x3), 23rd

Welcome to the human race...
lol @ the idea that Interstellar is baffling or hard to understand even after two viewings, especially when Primer is right frickin' there

Anyway, BTTF II is a good soft sci-fi adventure, whereas Gravity is a decent cinematic experience that I admittedly haven't felt too compelled to revisit.

2 5 Popcorn movies right there...

Gravity was on my shortlist. I was so uncomfortable watching that. Affective, and effective movie.
I felt it was a bit dicky though when it became a "if something can go wrong, it will go wrong" sort of movie.

BTTF2 is just legendary.

Both extremely worthy, but either made my final list though.

I think the major thing that affected me in Gravity though, was that Bullock's face was paralysed by all the surgery and her fake boobs were omnipresent.
I didn't think collagen and silicone were allowed in space.