The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen the '56 Snatchers and remember thinking it was okay, but I'd probably still give the edge to '78. Still, it's effective in a way that most other '50s sci-fi movies I've seen aren't, so that's got to count for something.

They Live was my #18. Yeah, no surprise that this is coming from one of the forum's major Carpenter fans, but it makes a proper '80s B-movie out of the same kind of Plato's Cave set-up that would arguably be refined with Dark City and The Matrix. Shame that the last time I heard people talking about it in a big way was because of this tweet:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was #11 on my 50s list and #6 on my science fiction list. The premise, of course, could be an analogy, or a statement, on just about anything and the theme of identity is one I respond to, the idea of whether you can really know another person or that you yourself could lose your identity. I really like the remake as well, but there's just something about the original I'll always love. (I do think it would have been a stronger movie without the flashback aspect, but those were the times, I guess.)

My List:

6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#46)
9. World on a Wire (#73)
22. Logan’s Run (#71)
25. Ghost in the Shell (#64)

I had Invasion of the Body Snatchers at #17. Rewatched They Live recently and it was a lot of fun.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Primer

Couldn't find a good gif, here's a still. Primer was tied with Interstellar, but was on less lists.

Layout: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 12th, 15th, 22nd, 25th (x2)

Interstellar

Like I said, tied with Primer, but was on 4 more lists.

Layout: 5th, 6th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 22nd (x3), 23rd, 24th

I wasn't expecting Primer to place so high on the Countdown, though it's a pleasant surprise. I'm not a fan of the film's ending, but overall I rather enjoyed it. I had it at 25. While I've seen Intersteller, I didn't find it particularly impressive, and honestly keep forgetting it exists until someone brings it up.

Seen: 47/58
My List: 8

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
11. Dark City (1998)
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
25. Primer (2004) - #44

Not crazy about Primer myself, thoroughly enjoyed Interstellar though - it made my list and tbh I expected it to be placed higher than this.

Faildictions:
42. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (1959)
41. Surrogates (2009)

Woot!

24. Interstellar - 43rd
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th

Interstellar is what an epic blockbuster should be. I didn't expect much but I thought it was pretty awesome and I voted for it.

I've heard of Primer before but never looked it up before just now. It looks good to me.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#22 Interstellar (43rd)
#25 They Live (45th)

Haven't seen Primer, but maybe I should watch it?

A rep = yes watch it........no rep = is don't watch it.

Seeing as there's 35,000 MoFos, that'll be 4 yesses and the rest no.

Woody Allen is a pedophille

A rep = yes watch it........no rep = don't watch it.
You should, but you are going to have to watch it about 5 times to fully understand what's going on.

A rep = yes watch it........no rep = don't watch it.
Repped. Now you're obligated to watch it. I expect a full report.

You should, but you are going to have to watch it about 5 times to fully understand what's going on.
Didn't like it the first time, but despite of how it might deserve another viewing due to its appearent complexity and subtlety, there is no way I'm gonna watch a movie 5 times if I don't dig it the first time... even if it may blow me away on a fifth visit.

- and even though I can respect having Primer in the top 50 of the best sci-fi films of all time, there is no way I can say the same about Notsostellar... how is that in the top 50? The forum is f*cking doomed...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Neither made my list, but Interstellar was a lot closer. I don't get the love for Primer or Carruth in general, although I liked Upstream Color better. I jotted down a few thoughts about Primer here.

Primer (Shane Carruth, 2004)

I've watched this film twice now, and although it has plenty of fans, I just don't seem to be one of them. It's an intellectual puzzle about time travel which was shot for $7,000, yet it won a major Award at the Sundance Film Festival. There are four central characters, all friends who have formed their own business and are also working on a machine for time travel to be able to make some big money by going ahead in time and learning the results of major events so they can return and lay some big bets to become rich quickly. This is essentially their motivation, although the majority of the film's dialogue involves a form of pseudo-techspeak, and especially in the second half, wondering aloud why something occurred and who may have been responsible. Yes, the premise of making a sci-fi home movie without F/X is laudable, but it's replaced with what seems to be an intentionally-obscure plot involving unsympathetic cyphers who, when they begin to try to tackle ethical questions, just come off as pretentious a-holes. Sorry, if you like the film, but it's just too dry and uninvolving for me.
My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)

Seen: 58/58
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 24/58

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I haven't seen either.
Way-hay! There's the catchphrase again. There's got to be a drinking game in this surely?

Anyway I'm not a fan of either of today's films. Primer I actually watched just a couple of months back, inspired by the countdown to finally give it a shot. I admire them for trying to make a sci-fi film for $7000. However for me it showed more than anything why you shouldn't really try to make a sci-fi film for $7000! Such a minimal budget ensures the film really has to be heavy on dialogue with little scope for anything else of visual interest. Between the abundance of tech-speak and the serpentine plot I just found it all rather flat and insipid. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was as exciting as watching paint dry, but it wasn't a million miles off.

Also wasn't particularly taken with Interstellar. It did look great and I'll admit that it did 'feel' pretty epic but it just didn't do a great deal for me. And I hated the ending. Unlike Primer I'd be willing to give it another chance however.

Seen - 48 / 58

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
16. They Live (#45)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)
22. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#58)
25. Gattaca (#51)