Camo's Animated Show Reviews

Tools    

What's your favourite Simpsons episode? It was in your top 10 tv shows on the Countdown if i remember correctly. I understand that you won't know the titles i'll know which one if you describe it though, just wondering ?

Duck Dodgers In The 24 1/2 Century

This is quite possibly my favourite Looney Tunes short which is a tall order as there are so many great ones. Over a 10-15 year period during this time arguably a bit longer the vast majority of the Looney Tunes Shorts produced where of a high quality. It is an incredible achievement which i don't think has been equalled much in any form of media, especially not of things that were/are producing as much annually as Warner Bros were.

To me Duck Dodgers brings together everything that made Looney Tunes such a high quality cartoon, it's funny with great characters and amazing expressive animation and is also a very well done, clever and to the point satire on the cold war. Something that to me puts it above a lot of similar cartoons for this era, it has a very simple yet important message especially for its time played out by these wacky, anarchic characters. That the more the weapons race goes on and intensifies it will just lead to the detriment rather than the improvement of humanity and possibly the end of our existence, which is best exemplified by Daffy proclaiming himself ruler of the tiny part of the planet remaining. We have one of the best Daffy characterizations here, the overconfident Daffy who always loses. The disentigrating pistol scene with his protective vest scene is great here, such fantastic animation. My favourite line in the episode is Porky's: Happy b-b-b-b-birthday. you thing from another world you.

Anyway i think i'll leave it there as it is only a seven minute short, i don't want to say everything that can be said and leave you guys repeating stuff.

Seven minutes of gold!

Rabbit Seasoning

I love the Hunting Trilogy as a whole so i find it pretty weird to just judge one of them. In the end i decided to only watch Rabbit Season because i think if i was to watch them all the others would factor into my rating when it was only the one nominated. Saying that it doesn't really matter anyway as this is probably the best one.

We have the usual cocky, always wins and outsmarts everyone Bugs here, some of his best stuff is shown here. Here comes that joke we were discussing earlier of Bugs tricking a character into saying something. The second one with Daffy demanding to be shot now leads to one of the most classic images of this era; Daffy's mangled face after being shot. Like we were discussing earlier this is also a pretty repetitive episode, just as if not more so than Baseball Bugs. Not that i'm complaining i could never get tired of Bugs outwitting Daffy. Daffy going nuts over Elmer not killing Bugs is brilliant, i love how Daffy could've easily have run off after setting up the signs. Not to use gbg real world logic here , but it always bothered me as a kid why he didn't just leave. Why did Daffy want Bugs dead so much? Did he not think that Elmer might just kill both of them regardless of the season? haha I so love when Daffy looks out of the hole and gets shot. That was another thing that annoyed me as a kid. Why on earth did Daffy willingly look out the hole for Bugs, he wasn't even tricked he just did what Bugs said? haha Love the nonsensical ending of Daffy going home with Elmer.

Brilliant cartoon.

Drip Along Daffy

This was a favourite of mine when i was a kid, i don't like it quite as much now but it is still solid. Love Porky's opening song, "comedy relief" . What i like most about this one is the look of the town and the design of the wild west characters. Some of the sign jokes are a bit cringey but i loved Rigor O'Mortis. Porky was good in this well the little we saw of him, i love how they gave him stubble haha, nice touch. The walk toward the shootout scene is excellent love the camera angles. Great ending too, love that Porky gets the glory. While not one of my favourites it is a very funny and entertaining cartoon, good to see it get some recognition by being nomiinated.

The Scarlet Pumpernickel

One of my nominations. I love this of course but it isn't actually one of my absolute favourites. I mostly nominated it because i feel it is one of the most well regarded classics that is mentioned the least so i was curious what everyone thought of it.

Weird thing to point out but i think this may have my favourite title picture, with the dark castle. Yet again the animation is fantastic, love the use of dark shadows not the most common thing in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Daffy's sneezing scene, him crashing through the wall and the ride towards the castle were done particularly well. The sword fight and everything that follows is of course classic Looney Tunes greatness, love the movement, extremely well directed. I really like how Daffy is the valiant, mosyly competent hero (more than usual anyway) but they avoid compromising his usual characterization by having it as Daffy reading a story, basically giving a glimpse of how he sees himself versus how he actually is. Very smart move as Daffy of course can't win in reality, shows how well written these cartoons were that they go out of their way to keep the characterization consistent, really gives an impression that the writers cared.

That's me done for today, i'm already a quarter way through them haha.

Duck Amuck

Duck Amuck along with What's Opera Doc? are pretty much the two most well regarded Looney Tunes cartoons, and probably the most acclaimed American shorts (of this length at least) of all time. Whether you enjoy them or not it isn't difficult to see why. I don't think there is many 6-8 minute videos as ambitious as these. This is just a ridiculously fun ride that showcases the genius of the Looney Tunes Animation Staff better than anything else. One thing that i think is often overlooked in Duck Amuck is the extreme attention to detail. Obviously you'll be saying that is what it is most praised for but with the ever changing scenery's and stuff Daffy is wearing they never actually forget about Daffy himself which would be extremely easy to do, even forgivable. But no, his facial expressions and body movement is done with as much care as any Looney Tunes Short from this area. Just pure brilliance, the stuff that makes me such a fan of these cartoons. The voice acting is incredible too, Daffy is changing so much throughout this cartoon and he gets increasingly more angry which is played to perfection. Anyway there's not much else to say, Nope has already mentioned its meta qualities and anyone who has seen it knows how great the ending is, possibly the best one and an admitted inspiration for one of my favourite South Park Episodes: Woodland Critter Christmas. The reveal of Bugs hand when he is closing the door on Daffy is one of my favourite images in all of Looney Tunes. Gets me every time.

Perfection!

What's your favourite Simpsons episode? It was in your top 10 tv shows on the Countdown if i remember correctly. I understand that you won't know the titles i'll know which one if you describe it though, just wondering ?
Was it in my top ten? I might have voted for it but I wouldn't think I had it that high.

I've not watched The Simpsons in forever, so I remember almost no details about individual episodes, but one episode I do remember liking at lot was the one when Homer rescued Santa's Little Helper.

Was it in my top ten? I might have voted for it but I wouldn't think I had it that high.

I've not watched The Simpsons in forever, so I remember almost no details about individual episodes, but one episode I do remember liking at lot was the one when Homer rescued Santa's Little Helper.
Well i dunno thought it was, you had it somewhere at least.

That's the first episode and i reviewed it on the first page. Boring episode man, compared to the best ones. Disappointing

Let the night air cool you off
BTW, i know my opinions on these aren't that interesting but if anyone say JJ with King of the Hill or something since he knows that show alot more than me wanted to suggest an episode for me to do i'd be willing to. .
Man.. I wouldn't know where to start with KotH recs. At any given time it is my favorite show of all-time, but the way I watch shows is I binge the hell out of them. The problem with that is a lot of times the episodes will run together, so I have no idea which episode was which. I do wonder how your perspective of the show would differ from mine though, because I am basically from the area where the show takes place. That's partially why I love it so much, I think.

Maybe try "A Beer Can Named Desire" (Season 4 Episode 6)

Pamela Adlon is awesome as Bobby Hill, and this is one of my favorites of her performances.

What one is it Gideon, and i'll tell you if i've done it? I'll post five more now.

And thanks for the reply JJ, i've seen that episode before since it is in the first six seasons but i don't remember it off the top of my head. I'll do that as my first King of the Hill one.

Why, What's Opera, Doc? of course.
I haven't actually done What's Opera Doc? yet but it's one of my favourites. The ones i'm reposting here are from either the Looney Tunes or Animated Shorts HOF and surprisingly that hasn't been nominated. I'll definitely do it soon though, i was thinking of having a kind of coming soon part in the post i use to compile the reviews with any recs i get, so that and the King of the Hill one JJ suggested would be first.

JJ, i swear i don't remember that at all. I know for a fact i've seen all of the first six seasons; Season 4 was probably my favourite actually. No though, i don't remember that gag or the Hills being in New Orleans haha. Will definitely do that soon then.

Baseball Bugs

Nope brought up that this has really repetitive jokes and he's right, but i don't care they still work for me in this every time. As i said to gbg earlier the "your out your safe" kind of joke is used in Looney Tunes quite a bit but i always find it funny. Great cartoon i hadn't seen it in a while so i think i actually enjoyed it more than i usually do this time. It's hard not to find Bugs playing every position while talking like his coach as well hilarious. Bugs in his little scarf and sunhat at the start is one of my favourite looks for him. He is fantastic here, love how cocky he is yet he somehow makes good on his ridiculous boasts and claims.Mel Blanc is amazing here some of his finest work IMO. Love the animation in this particularly Bugs' pitches, amazing movement. Anyway this is a very funny one that i always have a good time with, glad it was nominated again.

Long Haired Hare

This is one of my absolute favourites. I don't think there is any short that Bugs is characterized better. Bugs is supposed to be extremely annoying like he becomes here, but he is also supposed to have a reason to be annoying so you root for him. I don't think there's ever been a better non regular character foil to Bugs than this opera singer. This big strong man with a powerful voice being interrupted by a meek, harmless bunny is just the most perfect way for this. It instantly shows the singer as the bad guy when watching it at a young age, but as an adult you feel for him having to deal with someone like Bugs.

While this doesn't boast as good music as What's Opera Doc?/ Rabbit of Seville, it features probably two the best images of anything nominated this time. The singer going red while singing so much and about 90% of Bugs faces and movements when he was directing it.

One Froggy Evening

I was glad to see this was nominated as i hadn't seen it in a while. After watching it i thought that i definetly should watch it more often as it is fantastic. This has to be up there with the best directed Looney Tunes Shorts. The movement is particularly incredible, i love the Hello My Baby song scene, with the frog kicking while leaning sideways, it looks fantastic. All of the dancing scenes are excellent and they are similar to this, but i always thought the first and last ones were especially fantastic. It is funny as well, the scene where the guy tries to make the frog dance but it won't move yet the second the guy is kicked out of the office it starts up again always cracks me up. As well as the scene at the theatre. the general torment the guy goes through is hilarious. Not much else to say about this. It is an extremely well directed short with great animation, songs and dancing, and has a strong charm to it.