Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Treasure Planet

I had seen this film earlier in the year and I wasn't super keen on it. It does a lot of things technically well. Again, the animation is really well done and there is a lot of creativity and imagination in it. The soundtrack is absolutely spectacular as well. It's the story that loses me, as it is one that does not seem to fully engage me for whatever reason. I think the biggest reason is that I'm kind of cold on the main character Jim. I enjoyed a lot of the voice performances with the exception of thinking that Jim's character was fairly average. Still, it's technical merits helped to raise its last score from me.

Okay.

Y'all wanna hear the real reason why I'm having such a tough time getting through the noms and just watching movies in general?

Well, first off, "the easy part" I'm busy with work and it's rather physically demanding, so I'm often very tired later in the day. That's one thing, but let's build it up from here...

One of my family members are down with stress/depression and that effects us all greatly to the point where we get in arguments or get/are stressed out outselves. Everyone who has experienced stress, firsthand or secondhand (I have both), you know that's not fun.

Can it get worse? Oh yes, sure it can! ...Last year, I lost my grandmother, presumely to alcohol (she was a heavy alcoholic) and that was also my first real experience with death. Death has never been close to me before that.

So... what happens less than a year later? I lose my grandfather, same side of the family, and he I was very close to for a long period. That one got to me the worst I think.

Is it over? Sure isn't... guess what phonecall we got yesterday evening? My uncle (again, same side) had just been found dead, only 51 years of age. He had anxiety and stress, and he took medicine, but we dont know the cause of death yet.

That's 3 deaths in the family in what? 1.5 years? All from my mothers side and she got no family left anymore. I'm sure she even has it worse than me.

But what about the other side of my family? Well, we got an alcoholic on that side too. Not dead yet though, but we don't see them anymore because of it.

Oh, and a little side note to end on... I had some health problems a while back. They are back again as well as some other thing I gotta get checked soon.

So... movies? Least of my worries now. I just want to have peace, silence, space, anything... Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. It did. Guess what? I was actually watching Madagascar 2 as I got the news about my uncle. Obviously didn't finish it.

So I try. I try watching movies, for your sake and for my own. I try to get by, but I get slapped so hard in the face everytime... laying down... getting kicked by life. There is no chance for me to get up. I get slammed back down again.

This is my struggles, this is what happens, happened, is happening. Thank you for reading I appreciate all of your coming concerns and support, but mostly I just wanted it out there. Let y'all know. This is me right now.

Damn, sorry to hear all of that MM. Sounds like you've had a horrible time lately. There's not much i can say other than you are in my thoughts and i hope things improve soon.

also didn't have a clue whether to rep that or not

Damn, sorry to hear all of that MM. Sounds like you've had a horrible time lately. There's not much i can say other than you are in my thoughts and i hope things improve soon.

also didn't have a clue whether to rep that or not
Of course you can rep it. In this case it works like sympathy, support or something like that.

Thank you for your thoughts, Camo. I appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that things have been bad for you lately MM. My room mate had something similar happen not too long ago. I think the family lost 5 members in just 2-3 years. Those losses are felt the most around the holidays as well, just to add insult to injury. Hopefully things get better for you in the coming months, and try not to stress out about forum obligations; your health and your family are much more important.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That's 3 deaths in the family in what? 1.5 years? All from my mothers side and she got no family left anymore. I'm sure she even has it worse than me.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time right now. Stress and depression can be extra tough at this time of the year, but remember that we're here for you if you need us.

And remember that your Mom doesn't have no family left. She still has you. So just do your best to be there for each other, and you'll get through this together.

Oh, and a little side note to end on... I had some health problems a while back. They are back again as well as some other thing I gotta get checked soon.
Take care of your health. Don't even worry about the movies. You're health is much more important than watching movies.

NIGHT ON THE GALACTIC RAILROAD

I watch this dubbed in english as it was the only i found,well i found the original but without subs.
I dont think it hurt the viewing at all,as i quite liked the voice acting.

Im not very fond of the animation,mostly because i used to watch japanese animations when i was younger and they scared the crap out of me (silverfang anyone?) and i see a few things that resembles it. That being said there was quite a few little shots that i really did like. I love how..inventfull it is.Its a pretty weird film,which i love.
l love all things weird.except shia labouf.hes a type of weirdness i dont understand.
I dont know what year this was made in,but it comes across as a bit old? Which makes me like it even more.It has a sense of nostalgia about it-without me even having watched it before.
I loved the story,it has so many things going on and its not like any animation ive ever seen before.
also,i havent read the other reviews yet but i hope the MUSIC is mentioned for this movie,I absolutely love it!

Night on Galactic Railroad is actually one of the greatest films ever made. Jal90 did very well nominating it, since it's obscure but simple and accessible for someone not used to Japanese visual culture.

Everyone watched and reacted to Galactic Railroad as they saw it, pretty good reception overall. Too bad that you couldn't nominate a film without controversy.

Edit: I deleted my last post because i just realized that i was posting stuff here that i was talking about outside here without noticing

Castle of Cagliostro (1979)

I love japonese animation , and how this movie is 37 years old and it has an amazing quality of animation. Lupin III, I never watched something from this series, but I've seen that it's a variant (or a source) of the classic "thief that informs he is going to steal by leaving a card" kind of stuff. I read some of the reviews, Clazor and Vicky's quoted that there is no much backround about the characters since it's an film from an anime series. And something about Guap too, that's a shame, I would love to nominate a animated film of an anime like Kizumonogatari, but I get their point, it's hard to understand all the details that the movie has without watching the series (besides Kizu has 3 parts and that would also make it complicated to nominate).

Anyway I read the reviews because I didn't read them all, so I'm reading each one according to the movie I saw since there are a lot of pages in this thread to start now . And also I wasn't sure what to comment. I liked the animation, the movie, maybe I didn't love the plot (the whole Goat money and what the real treasure is) I don't mean the whole plot. I never saw Lupin III, and my first impression was positive, I like the character . I also like that he got hurt a few times, that means that he can anticipate everything, I hate when a character is so smart that he is omniscient and everything is so obvious for him. In this case Lupin is smart enough to come up with a plan but at the same time he risks his life, showing how much he enjoys stealing stuff. That last line of the police officer "He stole your heart" was so cheesy coming from and old man.

I also liked that Lupin respected the boundaries and didn't kiss the princess at the end, since he is apparently a lot older than her, and it didn't end like that weird relationship between Cap American and his girlfriend's niece.

I liked that fact about "Lupin I" that Camo commented, knew that he was from a french book but I didn't know it was a dark theme one. Because of someone's review I also had to google who Wolf was I guess Lupin is kind of a weird name but I always prefer the original language.

Overall I quite enjoy this movie, sometimes I think that the classics are boring and I don't even consider watching them, that's when I forget that movies are amazing. I'm glad they nominated this movie it was really entertaining and it maked me wanting to watch more of Lupin

(Thousands of kittens die because of the amount of "like" words used in this review)

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Don't know if I mentioned it in the review, but I'm thinking of looking up the series based on what I saw in the movie. It was a nice mix between comedy and hiest movie, and I became curious about the supporting cast. Anyone else who haven't seen it got interested in looking it up?

Also, good review, tat.

I watched the series a long time ago but I don't remember much about it besides the fact it was fun. Miyazaki worked on the series himself in the 70's. The manga is regarded as being very different with a more bitter, violent and serious Lupin and was popular among college students back in the 70's.

Okay.

Y'all wanna hear the real reason why I'm having such a tough time getting through the noms and just watching movies in general?

Well, first off, "the easy part" I'm busy with work and it's rather physically demanding, so I'm often very tired later in the day. That's one thing, but let's build it up from here...

One of my family members are down with stress/depression and that effects us all greatly to the point where we get in arguments or get/are stressed out outselves. Everyone who has experienced stress, firsthand or secondhand (I have both), you know that's not fun.

Can it get worse? Oh yes, sure it can! ...Last year, I lost my grandmother, presumely to alcohol (she was a heavy alcoholic) and that was also my first real experience with death. Death has never been close to me before that.

So... what happens less than a year later? I lose my grandfather, same side of the family, and he I was very close to for a long period. That one got to me the worst I think.

Is it over? Sure isn't... guess what phonecall we got yesterday evening? My uncle (again, same side) had just been found dead, only 51 years of age. He had anxiety and stress, and he took medicine, but we dont know the cause of death yet.

But what about the other side of my family? Well, we got an alcoholic on that side too. Not dead yet though, but we don't see them anymore because of it.

So... movies? Least of my worries now. I just want to have peace, silence, space, anything... Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. It did. Guess what? I was actually watching Madagascar 2 as I got the news about my uncle. Obviously didn't finish it.

So I try. I try watching movies, for your sake and for my own. I try to get by, but I get slapped so hard in the face everytime... laying down... getting kicked by life. There is no chance for me to get up. I get slammed back down again.

This is my struggles, this is what happens, happened, is happening. Thank you for reading I appreciate all of your coming concerns and support, but mostly I just wanted it out there. Let y'all know. This is me right now.
Don't you worry that now things can and will only get better.

I lost my grandmother when I was 11 and my grandfather when I was 19. Although these were natural deaths so I wasn't deeply affected although I miss my grandfather a lot since he was also one of my best friends back when I was a teenager because we liked to talk about politics and economics with him. My other grandfather is still alive but he can die at any moment now due to his heart problems.

I don't have any alcoholics in my family but I have friends who drink a lot and I even had to pick some of them up at the hospital after they showed up there due to alcohol poisoning. Alcohol is indeed a dangerous drug.

Death is part of life (quoting Roger Ebert a few weeks before his death) so I think that we should try to adapt to it and not be so much affected by it to become depressed although you were really unlucky to get so many deaths in such short span of time. But it's pretty much impossible for it to happen again now.

I try and have the Castle of Cagliostro (1979) review up tonight or tomorrow.And the watch tokyo gofathers tomorrow. so then ill only have waltz with bashir left. Gosh ive been so slow this round,am i the only one who hasnt finished?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I try and have the Castle of Cagliostro (1979) review up tonight or tomorrow.And the watch tokyo gofathers tomorrow. so then ill only have waltz with bashir left. Gosh ive been so slow this round,am i the only one who hasnt finished?
I still have 2. Meds has 9. Jal has 9 I believe.