Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

It's really strange revisiting films I haven't seen in nearly two decades, and so far I've had two different experiences. My own nomination I liked much less than nostalgia told me I would (though I still liked it), and I ended up liking The Secret of Nimh a lot more than I ever did as a kid.
Yeah, i was the same with Secret of Nimh. I don't remember why but for whatever reason when i was a kid i only watched Nimh about twice, and the other Bluths: An American Tail, Anastasia, Land Before Time, All Dogs Go To Heaven, even the non-Bluth, Fievel Goes West over five times each. So it's interesting that Nimh worked well for me while All Dogs and Anastasia didn't hold up much as an adult.

the ballroom scene in Anastasia used to haunt me as a kid

im sad to see several saying all dogs in heaven hasnt held up well,as i havent seen it since i was a kid im worried i might agree!
i rewatched the original narnja last christmas,which i was so fond of as a child,it did NOT look the way i remember lol

the ballroom scene in Anastasia used to haunt me as a kid

im sad to see several saying all dogs in heaven hasnt held up well,as i havent seen it since i was a kid im worried i might agree!
i rewatched the original narnja last christmas,which i was so fond of as a child,it did NOT look the way i remember lol
haha. Rasputin freaked me out as a kid. Well cartoon one did, now the real one does haha.

All Dogs wasn't bad now i just found it okay. I remembered it being alot funnier and emotional than it was for me personally as an adult, sadly. An ex of mine still loved it as an adult though so there's every chance you will.

My problem with it last time I watched it was mostly the songs. I loved it as a kid, but as an adult I have a low tolerance for musicals, even animated ones. I will be watching or rewatching every nomination, so we'll see if anything changes this time, but I doubt it will.

I've seen 3 movies from the director of Tokyo Godfathers and enjoyed all of them. I'm probably going to watch that and maybe a couple others. I haven't seen any animated movies since that countdown.

I've seen 3 movies from the director of Tokyo Godfathers and enjoyed all of them. I'm probably going to watch that and maybe a couple others. I haven't seen any animated movies since that countdown.
I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Same Cricket. You've seen them all except Tokyo Godfathers then. The only other thing he made before he sadly died was an Anime Series called Paranoia Agent. I've heard it is very good so i have been thinking about making it my 'once in a blue moon' Anime Show i watch.

I've got another headache, so I'll probably skip watching anything tonight, but if I can get it under control I'll rewatch NIMH. Either way, it'll likely be the next nomination I watch. I got a notice that Treasure Planet is ready to be picked up from the library. I'll go over there Friday and pick it and Cagliostro up and probably watch them this weekend.

Oh, I should also mention that if any US participants are having trouble obtaining The Secret of NIMH, or are simply interested in adding it to their collection, I have a spare copy of it (and its straight to video sequel) that I can send to someone to keep. Just PM me.

I've got another headache
Same. Well not another one but i have a headache. I watched the first 15 minutes of Tokyo Godfathers, i liked what i saw but i just couldn't take reading subtitles with my headache and i know the english dub even if it is decent will hurt my enjoyment so i'm leaving it tomorrow if i'm feeling better.

I do want to watch one of these tonight though so i'm going to watch Madagascar 2. No subtitles and the first one was really simple so don't think this should be a problem.

The Secret of NIMH (Don Bluth, 1982)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/2/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Clazor's Nomination for the MoFo Animation Hall of Fame
Rewatch: Yes

The thing about NIMH that I really love is how it doesn't talk down to its audience. Like all great children's films, it trusts them to reach beyond their comfort level a little bit to meet its story. It really respects its audiences.
As I was watching this film tonight, I kept thinking about the quote above and how accurate it is. The Secret of NIMH is a children's film about determination, bravery, and love. But that tale is also about vivisection, torture, powerlust, betrayal, and murder. It is a very dark film, both in subject and atmosphere.

I also really respect the choice of protagonist. Mrs. Brisby is not the kind of film heroine you might expect to see. She is not strong in body and she isn't trying to be a hero. She is simply a widowed mother, forced to find courage and risking life and limb in her struggle to protect her children.

But the film is not perfect, the comedic relief of Jeremy and Auntie Shrew is stretched too far at times and I have mixed feelings about the inclusion of magic in the film. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (yes, that's Frisby with an F, but the name was changed to Brisby in the film to avoid trademark infringement with Frisbee), the children's novel on which the film is based, did not include any of the mystical elements found here. Nicodemus was not a wizard and there was no magic amulet. I personally have a distaste for fantasy, but I do understand that these things appeal to a lot of people and I will admit that it does add to the film's sense of adventure and adds an aura of mystery to the proceedings.

Still, it's a very good film, a strong nomination, and is probably more worthy of a place on the MoFo Animation Countdown than some of the films that actually made the cut.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sorry, GBG. Didn't know you had a thing about spiders. Would've said somthing otherwise.

Thanks, but I'm actually glad you nominated The Secret of Nimh. I've heard a lot of good things about the movie over the years, and it's been on my watchlist for as long as I can remember, so I'm looking forward to watching it. (I just didn't know that it had a spider in it until now, but I'll get through it somehow.)

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (yes, that's Frisby with an F, but the name was changed to Brisby in the film to avoid trademark infringement with Frisbee), the children's novel on which the film is based, did not include any of the mystical elements found here. Nicodemus was not a wizard and there was no magic amulet.
That's interesting. I decided to look up what other liberties the film took with the source material, and apparently the rivalry between Jenner and Nicodemus is not present in the book either. I liked that whole political aspect, and actually wanted them to spend more time developing that plot line. While I'd prefer the characters to solve the house problem without magic, the film's finale seems much more climactic than the one found in the book (based on what I'm reading on the internet as I have not read it myself).

(I just didn't know that it had a spider in it until now, but I'll get through it somehow.)
There's only one spider, and it's only on-screen for a couple of seconds max, so hopefully it doesn't bother you too much.

That's interesting. I decided to look up what other liberties the film took with the source material, and apparently the rivalry between Jenner and Nicodemus is not present in the book either. I liked that whole political aspect, and actually wanted them to spend more time developing that plot line. While I'd prefer the characters to solve the house problem without magic, the film's finale seems much more climactic than the one found in the book (based on what I'm reading on the internet as I have not read it myself).
I don't think I ever read the book, but I may have checked it out from the school library or something when I was a kid. I just got curious last night and decided to do a little research on the differences between the book and film. I read about the changes with Jenner as well, but found the political aspect and his betrayal quite interesting so decided not to include it when talking about what I didn't like in the film.

I think I might see if my local public library has a copy of the book and give it a read.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The Last Unicorn (1982)

I've allways been one to judge a animated movie to some degree on it's artstyle. It doesn't make up for a bad movie, nor does it completely tank a good one. Sometimes it's what I remember from seeing a movie, and with a few exceptions, I think it will be thusly with this movie. I liked it overall, but like with Sleeping Beauty, I will come back for the beautiful, hand-drawn animation and the atmospheric musical score.

I'd never seen this before, so there's no nostalgia for me to remember fondly. The story was a little thin, but adequate to get it's intention across without unnecessary filler. A call to adventure with a couple of bumps along the way, a loss of faith and a final, climactic confrontation before all is at its end and the story's over.

I did like the character of the unicorn, though. While often keeping her performance restrained, Farrow had a few points where she actually let go and those were moving. Her utter horror when realizing she's become human, and then the reverse when confronted with the reality of being turned back were the high-lights of her acting.

Christopher Lee turns in a chilling role as King Haggard, depicting a man with a singular goal for which he'd damn the world as long as he reached it. And that skeleton! Suddenly the movie took a turn and ended up in undead-demon-form-hell-town. Here we can talk about something that brought me back to The Black Cauldron. Those evil red eyes reminded me of the horned King, someone I was pantswettingly scared of when I was a kid. Go from Oliver & Co to that movie and I guarantee you wont have a pair of underpants left unsoiled.

Disregarding that, the movie was a fun ride, a good choice, Cosmic. Hopefully the rest of the noms will be at least as interesting as this.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Not my most eloquent review, I admit, but I'm more or less writing while sleeping here, so forgive a tired writer his will to actually want to get something up after seeing the first movie of a new HoF. Coming reviews will be better put together, I promise.

And with that, Good Night!

Tokyo Godfathers

There's a lot to like with this movie. The three main characters are introduced as people with faults, but they are characters that I quickly came to like and care about despite those faults. I ended up feeling that I knew a lot about them, their pasts, and their motivations. That's great character development, and they were the key to the movie for me. The movie is heavy at times, often very touching, and has a good sense of humor that doesn't minimize the dramatic. My only real complaint is some of the action towards the end counteracted the realism that most of the movie had. For a while I felt that many of the occurrences were a little too coincidental, but I came to think that one message of the movie was how we are all connected to each other in some way. I don't know a lot about animation, but it looked good to me. If their is such a thing as cinematography in animation, then this movie scores big there too because it looked exactly like it needed to look. This movie definitely would have made my animation list had I seen it back then.

Glad you liked it so much. It's another film that I wish had made the countdown. I've enjoyed all four of Satoshi Kon's films especially this one and Paprika, but hadn't seen any of them before the countdown. It's a toss up as to which I like the most. Paprika is really interesting visually but this one evokes so much more emotion.