Does art need ideology?

Tools    

Yeah, that's what Pussy Galore and Cob were just talking about, and they said pretty much exactly what I was going to: art requires ideology if you define it broadly enough, sure, but not if you use it the way people tend to in every day conversation. That type of ideology, I agree with Cob, tends to hurt artistic quality rather than help it, for the simple reason that the art is often secondary to the message. And this distinction is why the question in the thread's title and the one in the first post are at odds.

Ideological beliefs underline all notions of artistic quality. Ideology is a very general thing and apparently refers to just the ideas that underlie society.

For instance, the Americans in this forum share certain ideology that I don't and I think that influences a lot in the way they see the world and movies themselves.

Famous ideological film? Miyazaki's Nausicaa, for instance, is heavily ideological and explicitly so in it's adherence to environmentalism. All films are ideological to a degree so all famous films are also ideological.

Atonement is ideological, in a way that's the opposite of The Conjuring 2; the latter is opposing the political right, whereas the former is perpetuating right-wing ideology.

Does every film have ideology in the fact that it represents the creators idea of what makes a successful film?

Yes I suppose. Halloween 6 is a left-wing allegory, and Primal Fear is perhaps an unknowing right-wing film; the latter isn't purposefully helping right-wing politics, and in ways is perhaps trying to be left, but I think Primal Fear is just one of those movies that can't help but support ideas that support society's existence.

What do you think?

I'd say that art does need ideology and that the presence or absence of an ideological standpoint will definitely affect interpretations of any given artwork. If a movie offers no clearly-defined ideological subtext of its own (whether accidentally or deliberate) then the scope for different interpretations increases to the point where it may reflect poorly upon the movie in question. A good example is when people argue that seemingly innocuous movies like Ghostbusters or The Incredibles feature Objectivist overtones regardless of whether or not that subtext was what the creators originally intended. Worse, it could allow for a movie to be criticised for lacking substance - if there's no thought being put into why the movie was made, then why is it really worth watching beyond the most superficial level?

What's the objectivism of Ghostbusters?

Primal Fear compared to Halloween 6, and the "objectivism" of Ghostbusters....psst! Hes babbbling to keep the thread going.

What do you think?

I think the reason your questions are constantly shifting is because they're not genuine: they're just jumping off points for talking about the same two or three movies you keep bringing up.

I think the reason your questions are constantly shifting is because they're not genuine: they're just jumping off points for talking about the same two or three movies you keep bringing up.

What same movies - I've referenced Atonement, Ghostbusters, The Conjuring 2, Halloween 6 and Primal Fear.

What same movies?

So, another random question, and on his third post he goes into talking about Halloween 6 and The Conjuring 2 again.

Medusa used to be my favourite. I now have a new one.

What same movies - I've referenced Atonement, Ghostbusters, The Conjuring 2, Halloween 6 and Primal Fear.

What same movies?
You've mentioned The Conjuring 2 and Halloween 6 numerous times across multiple threads, sometimes in largely unrelated contexts.

Also, most of your "questions" are easily answered by a quick Google search. Combined with how carelessly they're worded (and seem to change whenever you're asked for clarification), and it seems obvious to me the questions are immaterial, and you're only starting these threads as excuses to float your pet theories/analysis. If you want to post your theories, cool, but don't smuggle them into every conversation.

Which are the correct movies to reference?

I don't see why movies should be mentioned at all in a thread that is asking about the connection between Ideology and Art.

I don't see why movies should be mentioned at all in a thread that is asking about the connection between Ideology and Art.
Hes saying random things to keep people off balance, then asks a random question to continue the deflection. This is like Scout/Juno 2.0

I didn't say they were "incorrect" as reference. I'm saying you're starting threads and asking questions specifically designed to give yourself an excuse to talk about the same movies over and over. Which is presumably why you seem uninterested in the fact that your questions keep changing: because you're not interested in an answer.

I'm gonna start an actual Halloween 6 thread.
There isn't one on the forums and I doubt Mariel will start one, he's more interested in using random questions as an excuse to talk about it.

Actually I did start one but it was closed down.

Yup, I thought the OP was fishing for responses, without caring about the actual topic itself. That's why I previously wrote this:
What's art? What's ideology? Better yet why is the OP asking these questions? Homework???