Book challenge?

Tools    

Is anyone up for a book challenge? Similar to the TV/Movie challenges. Except, because books can be more time consuming we should first have a poll to establish which genres everyone is willing to read. Assuming there's interest, I urge someone more organized to kick things off.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Nope, me too!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think you need to wait more than 16 hours before declaring something a dud, some of us have been asleep most of that time!

I'd be interested in some kind of reading challenge/tournament/hall of fame. How are you thinking of making it work?

I'd prefer someone more experienced with challenges to get it started. I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

a book HOF could be fun and maybe a bit easier to do,if we all nominate a book each. if we do a tournament it might make it a bit more difficult since we had to go out and get the books then actually read etc but im down with that aswell though

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I might be interested in this sort of thing. Do you think there should be a page limit for each book (kind of like the 220 minute limit with the movie hall of fames)? Like, perhaps, nothing over 500 pages? That is, of course, just an example, but I can't see nominating - or suggesting - that anyone read something as long as Gone With The Wind (as another example) and expecting everyone to get through it in time.

I agree with Topsy that a book HoF would work. I think it would be easier, too. Of course, because reading books takes a bit more time to accomplish than sitting down and watching a movie, a later deadline would have to be considered (as opposed to the film HoF's where the deadline is based on how many movies that were nominated and a week for each one of those films). I couldn't come up with a suggestion on what to base the deadline on, though, because I don't know how fast others read around here, or how much time they have to read.

These are just some ideas that popped into my mind for this, though.

I think youre doing a good job MonnoM!

theres some good suggestions here though that of what we want.
Book challenge-where we recommend a book to the person whose posted before us.then do a write up of it
a book HoF where we all read the same books and discuss them/ if we want to rate them afterwards and have winner
or a book a month.

I agree with SilentVamp on maybe having a limit to how many pages the books are.

TUS suggested Transmetropolitan, and I was gonna get into that. Would an entire run of a comic book title count?

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
A book a month, perhaps?
Are you thinking that a book a month should be like a book club? Or are you saying the deadline should be based on a book a month?

I am asking this because if this is done like a HoF, then this could go on for at least a year before a book HoF would be finished. Look at some of the film HoF's. There may be a good chance that at least 12 people will join one of those. Ideally the deadline is 12 weeks after it has started. If there were 12 people to join this (assuming that high of a number would be interested), and the deadline would be based on a book a month, it would take a year to complete the HoF.

Now, I personally wouldn't mind if it took that long, but I don't know how others would feel about it.

I am kind of "hung up" on this HoF idea because I think maybe people would be a little more interested in it if there were a bit of a "competition" going on with this rather than if it were just a regular book club sort of thing.