Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Madness is the emergency exit…
Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)

One of the worst DC adaptations! If I even overlook or forget about the unnecessary & lame prologue of Batgirl that consumes the first 30 minutes of this film, it still remains a lifeless, dull & disjoint animated feature. The problem was everywhere! First of all, the animation work; it terribly fails to connect with the thought-provoking & emotional dramatic contents of the story & most notably Joker's some of the greatest lines in comic book history; even at times Batman kinda walks or moves like a Robot! The film also heavily lacks proper background scores & sound in most of the scenes that I think also contributed to make it felt like a dull animated feature. It just jumps from this scene to that scene and than it ends. I know it's unbelievable but surprisingly Kevin Conroy's voice work also sounded like he wasn't somehow ready or wanted to play his part this time!

You can find a motion comic video in youtube about this same Killing Joke story and believe me...those guys even done it in a far better & convincing way.

Scare Campaign (2016)

Safe (1995) -

One of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
I just stumbled upon that movie a little while ago. I was like "what the hell is this freakish sh*t"?! Hope to watch it soon...

GRANDMA
(2015)

I really wanted to enjoy this film, but it was simply too boring to me.

I've always liked Lily Tomlin and I think she delivered a decent performance, but I believe she deserved a more coherent movie to shine in.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

EVEREST
(2015)

Climbing Mount Everest is what people equate to performing a task that is extremely challenging, difficult, and dangerous.

With a star-studded cast that includes Josh Brolin, Jason Clarke, Sam Worthington, Emily Watson, Keira Knightley, and Jake Gyllenhaal, the movie, which is based on a true story, delivers the message quite well that climbing up the highest peak in the world is not something for the faint at heart.

In all, the movie was decent. It is worth a watch, but definitely not something I'd want to watch again.

Land of Mine

In the wake of the Second World War, the Danish authorities force thousands of German prisoners of war to defuse the millions of mines buried on Danish beaches. A tough sergeant who clearly hates the Germans is put in charge of a group who turn out to be just boys.

Very nicely shot and touching 4.5/5 highly recommended

The Square

Egyptian revolutionaries battle their leaders and regime to build a new society.

I found this documentary quite messy and with not enough information and background, though I learned a little, you could probably learn more on a quick search on YouTube as this was told almost exclusively from the ground and the shaky cameras of these so called revolutionaries (who can only protest but offer no alternative) but never rose up to give a more in depth above ground view, really I thought it was quite lazy

2/5

Welcome to the human race...
Star Trek Into Darkness -

"If your name is Khan Noonien Singh, then why are you white?"
"Oh my God, Spock, you can't just ask someone why they're white."

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

Standoff (2016)

All Fishburne, no Jane. If you like Laurence Fishburne talking, this is your movie. He carries it with voice and vocabulary. Jane, as per usual, is better in roles with no dialogue. The rest of the cast is insignificant window dressing. The good news, it's short at 1h 20min.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

The dated effects are unimportant due to the emphasis on a story that still plays well today.

Breaking Bad season 5

I'm not sure how this season stacks up against the others in quality, because it felt so different. What I do know is that I enjoyed every minute, and there were plenty of times when it hit me hard.

Breaking Bad full series

It's between this and The Shield for my all time favorite show after Survivor. It's hard to say which I like more with one being so fresh in my mind. This show was freaking amazing in every way. Has there ever been another main TV character as evil as Walt?

Stoker (2013) -
+

I knew nothing about this going in i'd just noticed it turn up in some best of the decade and best recent horror lists, i wasn't even aware it was Park Chan-Wook until the opening credits. It took me a long while to get any clue of where this movie was going which i think was possibly the best thing about it. It made me really think and concentrate on a lot of things that very well could've been totally meaningless to come up with some idea what was going to happen. Like the shoes, the basement and the food India's uncle kept cooking for the family. Obviously i knew basically right away that something was up with the uncle but i had no idea which i think was due to Matthew Goode's solid performance as well as the writing. I mean even though it was clear that something was up the guy was more or less normal, he was pretty smug and too persistent with a girl who had just lost her dad but i never got a sinister vibe directly from him it was purely from India's reactions to him. My first guess was that he wasn't actually related to the family and that he was some evil conman, that was until the aunt arrived her reaction to his claim of being in Europe made it obvious what was going on. Even when this became clear and India found the body it still returned to the same when she wasn't confronting him about it and her coming to accept him only after she had discovered this. The murder scene really made the rest of the film even more intriguing trying to figure out what her Uncles intentions were exactly.

I liked the reveal of what happened, not that it was anything mind blowing or anything i couldn't have guessed but i think it was about the best they could have done and the scene was very well done. Matthew Goode was great in that scene and i liked the switching from the past incident to India's dad's murder as well as the little touches like blood getting splashed on India's face from the rock blows to her dad. Just to note that at this point i haven't even mentioned Nicole Kidman once, this wasn't deliberate, i've just noticed myself and it makes sense because i don't think her or her character made any impact on the film. It's surprising that they went with a big name like her i think the role could've been filled by anyone, completely forgettable character and performance IMO.

Very good film.

I have to return some videotapes...
Crimson Tide (1995) -
+

Pretty silly movie like most of Tony Scott's work, but it has some great lines.

Religilous -

This is the first time i've ever really seen Bill Maher, he seems to be pretty polarizing, i've heard him called hilarious as well as some not so nice things. Well i liked him, not sure if that would stay the case if i had as much exposure to him as Americans. I know he is very dismissive and mocking, as well as really simplistic in his views but i don't hold this up as any sort of great search for the truth obviously because it isn't. I just take it for what it is an atheist entertainer with strong opinions interacting with carefully selected religious people for entertainment more than anything else, so he doesn't bother me here personally. Could totally understand this annoying someone else though so this isn't me dismissing people finding this offensive or whatever i'm just explaining why it isn't to me personally.

I loved the interview with the Reverend "Jeremiah is not a doctor. He does not have a degree...of any kind.". I'm sure that and every interview in this is heavily edited so i'm not taking this as an indictment of the guy because i know nothing about him, it was pretty hilarious though. "Jesus dressed very well". That cracked me up way more than it should've.
Obviously the words on screen were a pretty shady tactic since the guy had no idea and thus couldn't respond, they were still funny though especially the one pointing out why St. Paul and the Reverand aren't similar.
St Paul:
- Not in Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
- Did not wear fine linens
- No platinum albums

The "ex gay" guy was just ridiculous of course. I love Bill's "some of them look positively thrilled" then the cut to the gay parade. The amazing thing about that was that it came across like they were flirting, i'm sure it was made to look like that more than it actually did and if so good job.

It was nice that Jesus himself turned up for an interview, and he is Puerto Rican, who knew?

Anyway i'll stop there, no point in going through every interview. At times i liked this a lot but i also felt it jumped about a bit too much that left me a bit disinterested at times. And i'm just totally burnt out on anything to do with Islam and Terrorism right now since it feels like the only thing i ever hear about at the moment, i just kind of wanted it to end at that point. So overall good but not great.

Madness is the emergency exit…
Evolution (2015)

It could have been a rare modern masterpiece, IMO if they could have only put little more explanations about what's actually really going on in that island?!

WARNING: "**[I][B]SPOILER WARNING[/B][/I]** " spoilers below
The film indeed offers a very unique set up with a beautiful sea side European island [kinda reminded me of that island in Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)] inhabited only by a great bunch of weird women & young boys but what goes around there was the main intriguing as well as surprising aspect of this slow burn, mysterious French sci-fi/horror. All those women who were acting like their mother even at once do this very weird orgy sort of ritual in the beach at the middle of the night and those boys gradually becomes subject to a series of strange experiments or treatments where it seems they were using them in a some sort of reproductive procedure for what knows what the hell (!?!) ...(or what those creepy human baby like things were doing with Nicholus in the tank?!...they were feeding by him?!?). And like those, there were a good deal of interesting issues & questions left unanswered. May be it is one of those kind of films that actually demands to be interpreted in a metaphorical way with a more careful viewing but despite it was beautifully shot & initially felt quite dark & promising, eventually frustrated me at the end for being too ambiguous & weird, without providing much hints to interpret it or made some sense about the whole affair.
At one point I was thinking may be it would going to reveal that those women are actually mermaid or siren sort of creatures and they need or steals human baby and raise them to a certain age to sacrifice them in order to give birth of their own child that they become unable to do for some weird natural change or curse...or whatever!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - 6/10

I preferred the show, but since it was late last night, I thought why not.. I went to bed and finished the last 5 minutes this morning.. Still good.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - 6/10

I preferred the show, but since it was late last night, I thought why not.. I went to bed 5 minutes before it ended.. Still good.

How can you rate it fairly if you missed the last 5 minutes! OMG!!