Has a movie ever used other movie music

Tools    

Are there any movies that have bought the rights to other movie music, because it fitted their movie very well as a theme tune at the end?

I ask this because i think the perfect theme music to the end of The Freddie Mercury Biopic is the Out Of Africa Theme
I editted some footage and it fits perfectly. People say it is very emotional. and works very well.
It is also regal and fits Mercury as King saying farewell, a scene which will be the end of the FMB movie, wether they end it at live aid or the last ever concert at knebworth Park (which is a semblence of the footage i used- but it is not knebworth, it's the last wembley stadium show.) It's at the very end of this video if you havent seen it.

Semper Fooey
I don't know if they actually buy it, but studios dip into their music library and borrow from previous movies for incidental music.

I know that Spielberg's sacrilegious disaster Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull used music from Spielberg's other sacrilegious disaster, War Of The Worlds.

Something as recognisable as the Out Of Africa theme will stand out a mile, but i think it will work. It will become known as /associated with Freddie Mercury forever, a bit like Limelight for Charlie Chaplin.
It would be a great move.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Artist used Bernard Herrmann's "Love Scene" from Vertigo. Even though Kim Novak had a cow, it worked beautifully.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A lot of music associated with famous movies isn't actually written for the movie, classical music can show up in more than one film - Barber's Adagio For Strings appears in Platoon, The Elephant Man, Amelie and others, for example, O Fortuna from Carmina Burana is in everything, Beethoven's Ninth pops up all over the place, the same piece is used in Raging Bull and The Godfather Part III etc. etc. Out of Africa has bits of Mozart in.

As regards a Freddie Mercury biopic, why would you use the theme from Out of Africa when Mercury himself has written so much good music to choose from?

Urgh, how many topics are going to get Freddie Mercury mentioned...

Anyway, Bollywood films steal quite a bit, I can remember one action Bollywood film they used score music from Danny Elfman's Spiderman music score...

Yeah, Alien uses parts of Freud's soundtrack. They used the Freud music as a temp track because it was Jerry Goldsmith but unfortunately Ridley Scott must have preferred the temp to the new music Goldsmith created, so in it went.

Die Hard uses part of the soundtrack of Aliens, particularly when Karl appears at the end of the film.

The theatrical trailer for A Series of Unfortunate Events uses the theme from Edward Scissorhands.

X-Men: First Class uses the "Death Camp" part of the soundtrack from X-Men.

X-Men: First Class uses the "Death Camp" part of the soundtrack from X-Men.
Good one, yeah.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Suspiria's music was used in several Hong Kong films, and it was at least in the trailer for Jane Eyre, but I'm not sure if it made it to the final film.

Death by butterflies
I had the Rudy theme playing on a cd in my car many years ago. The girl with me was like "Oh! I love the music from Good Will Hunting!"

Not saying it was the main reason, but we broke up shortly afterwards.

The one that really bothered me to figure out was when I watched Serendipity with my wife. The corny music that Kate Beckinsales fiancée played I had heard many times from the Kung Pow! film

Slither used music from Predator
Funnily enough I bought the DVD the day before yesterday.

Also, 48 Hours and the sequel both use the music from Commando.

Oh, funnily enough, two other movies I bought the day before yesterday... Psycho and Carrie.
Carrie uses the shower scene "ee-ee-ee" violin music from Psycho. In the documentaries, Brian De Palma even says they nicked it because it's a visceral sound that was perfect for when Carrie uses her powers.