TONGO Reviews Everything

→ in
Tools    

Old color movies are great too. Dial M for Murder is a good one! And it has Grace Kelley in it. I couldn't tell, did you like Grace Kelley in High Noon?
No, but thats just how they acted back then. I know for her time she was good, but not many actors in that movie could have gotten their parts today if they had to try out for them. Actings just come a long way in 60 years is all.

I too agree with "nothing about being alone & isolated" on another planet.that's far worse than "Cast Away," where isolation drove Hanks nuts,and he'd rather die seeking escape, than live forever alone.BUT imagine islolation on ANOTHER PLANET?!I don't think the psychological part about "The Martian" rang so true.(yes, Prometh. sucked.)True, he repressed it as much as he could.(did he have horrible nightmares, I forgot.)I wonder if astronauts are unusually mentally stable, and its one thing they're chosen for. (??)
Attached Images

Really enjoyed your review of Creed and liked reading your admiration for Stallone's work and I was wondering if you have ever seen Grudge Match? Stallone was excellent in that...sharing the screen with De Niro, Kim Basinger, Alan Arkin, Kevin Hart, he was still the best thing in the movie.

Really enjoyed your review of Creed and liked reading your admiration for Stallone's work and I was wondering if you have ever seen Grudge Match? Stallone was excellent in that...sharing the screen with De Niro, Kim Basinger, Alan Arkin, Kevin Hart, he was still the best thing in the movie.
No I havent but I just put it on my playlist, cant see how I wouldnt like it. Thanks Gideon

My movie reviews have surprisingly been mostly positive, but Im 40 minutes into one now....oh thats gonna change. I shoulda known better. Review coming later.....

You like other Roth movies?

I liked the first Cabin Fever, good horror spoof. Cabin Fever 2 was unwatchable. Seriously, I couldnt finish it.

I confess to not being able to finish this one either. Oh it was horrible.

Keanu Reeves and Eli Roth, I was giving them a chance. I figured Roths CF2 coulda been his Mallrats, and maybe after 25 years some actings rubbed off on Keanu. Damn I must have been on drugs, the first 30 minutes of this movie is all dialogue, mostly directed by Keanu. I was actually surprised that after all this time Keanu Reeves cannot act a lick. Not even a bit. The 2 pretty girl unknown protagonists that show bare boobie like all horror starlets were doing a better job.

A movie where you wanted them dead out of annoyance. Too annoying, I tell ya some black brutha in that role wouldnt of had this problem. They shoulda! They could have had the first half of the movie girls terrorize Keanu, and then 2nd half they knock on black thug guys door. Kinda like Tarantinos Deathproof. Anyway, dont waste any of your life watching Knock Knock.

That is the oddest review. By the way, Roth didn't direct the second Cabin Fever.

That is the oddest review. By the way, Roth didn't direct the second Cabin Fever.
That wasnt a review. That was a warning.

Well, I personally love the film, but I realize I'm in the vast minority. And I realize I probably watch movies a bit different than most people. But whatever, it's a great flick and I counteract TONGO's "warning" by saying give Knock Knock a try, you just might like it like cricket, JJ, Derek, and I do.

Here's the review I wrote about it. As hyperbolic in its praise as you are in your hatred.

Knock Knock (Eli Roth, 2015)

A twisted, captivating, and misunderstood horror masterpiece by my favorite modern horror director Eli Roth.

Roth has never let me down. Odd because not many people seem to appreciate his films. But Cabin Fever, as some of you know, is one of my all-time favorites of the horror genre. I think Hostel is underrated, too. Far too many are quick to criticize movies featuring gruesome torture, while not realizing a film like Hostel achieves exactly what it sets out to do, and does it well. But above all else, above what I find to be the infused intelligence in his otherwise campy, shlocky modern horror films (he has some overarching reason for making each of his films - something you don't see a lot in horror these days), above the great horror filmmaking craft... his films are just damn fun. I think the best compliment I can give this film is it absolutely entranced me like films rarely do now.

Call it "Lords of Salem syndrome" if you want: a horror film that is critically panned by most, but that I personally see as something of a masterwork. As I was watching the film I was constantly taken aback by the greatness of the script, the music, the absolutely phenomenal performances by Lorenza Izzo and Ana de Armas (and a suitably campy-but-great performance by Mr. Reeves). And then there were the little touches. People who have seen the film know what I mean when I reference the "Facebook" bit at the end. I laughed at that moment, partly because it was funny but mostly because it was a moment of brilliance that cemented what I was had been thinking throughout Knock Knock -

That this movie is un-f*cking-believably awesome, wrinkles and all.

Call me a Roth fanboy, but I'm proud to be one when he makes films like this.

-

Oh my hell! Four and a half stars?!

No comment.

Oh come on you cant mean that! 4 1/2?! Thats like as good as The Exorcist! Just Keanu alone can empty a star on a rating scale with speed like no other.

TONGO, people are different in their tastes for things. You know that right?

Besides, ratings are relative. You can't really compare a movie like Knock Knock to The Exorcist. They are entirely different in what they set out to do.

Lets say this, take my half star (or popcorn box), and add it to Swans 4 1/2 popcorn boxes, and the movie gets a 5 out of 10. Now thats realistic

TONGO, people are different in their tastes for things. You know that right?

Besides, ratings are relative. You can't really compare a movie like Knock Knock to The Exorcist. They are entirely different in what they set out to do.
I know Dude, this is just banter. I like talking excited-like

It's all good, dude. I just felt obligated to counteract your negative opinion of the film with my positive one.

Well you adored it, and I couldnt even finish it, so I think between the two of us people will go to see it, or run from it

Also, Cabin Fever isn't a horror spoof. It's a horror film. There's no spoof there. At all.
Of course it was. Victims are stupid in horror films, but in Cabin Fever the characters were cartoonish level stupid. Roth was obviously wanting us to want them dead. Even the gratuitous bare boobie scene in the flick was contrived to a hilarious degree. That was a spoof.