Mojo Filter's Top 10 John Cusack Movies

Tools    

I'm not really a fan of either of the last two films, but I've not watched either for at least 25 years. I think The Sure Thing was the first Cusack film I saw. First Daphne Zuniga film I saw, too. I watched lots of those American teen sex/looking to get laid comedies throughout the 80's..

Identity didn't make it but nice list Mojo !

Great job Mojo, I especially like how you wrapped it up.

My top 10-

1. The Ice Harvest
2. The Sure Thing
3. Hot Tub Time Machine
4. Being John Malkovich*
5. Say Anything
6. The Grifters
7. Identity
8. Runaway Jury
9. Pushing Tin
10. Money for Nothing

I would have Con-Air in there but I don't really think of him as an important player in that.

I have not seen Eight Men Out, but plan to check it out in the near future. A Thin Red Line is one of my favorite war movies, but his role was small, and I ruled it out because it's not really a starring role but a cameo instead for him, much like Stand By Me. However, if I were to count in A Thin Red Line and Stand By Me, they would be the number 1 and 2 movies on my list for sure.
I think you could argue there are no actual starring roles in The Thin Red Line, by design. If you go to the older thread I linked to, it was referencing a quote from Cusack himself assessing he had only been in ten good movies in his career, and trying to guess which ten those might be, according to him. I can guarantee you that HE believes Malick's The Thin Red Line is one of those ten. Whether you want to count it, or not.

And John Sayles' Eight Men Out is terrific (and also surely on Cusack's own list). Enjoy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I loved 1408. I know the film had two versions of the ending. The one where he plays the audio recorder was the better one. Creepy.

Didn't care for Say Anything and haven't seen The Sure Thing.

Shame The Raven didn't make it. I really liked him as Edgar Allen Poe.
How can someone not care for Say Anything? Lloyd Dobler is one of the most romantic men in movies EVER!!!!!

4. BULLETS OVER BROADWAY
(Directed by Woody Allen, 1994)

In 1994, John landed the lead role in this Woody Allen outrageously funny comedy. He plays the role of a playwright who finds himself dealing with the mob in order to get his script onto Broadway and make the big time. The movie features hilarious performances by Chazz Palminteri, Dianne Wiest, and Jennifer Tilly.

Trailer

Movie Clip

Loved John in Bullets Over Broadway...I think the John does a wonderful job of channeling Woody.

Loved John in Bullets Over Broadway...I think the John does a wonderful job of channeling Woody.

Totally agree. He imitated Woody's mannerisms and style of acting and talking, and it was spot on.