The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love both of them, but didn't have room on my list for either one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Manchurian Candidate I liked when I watched it a while ago now, thought it was a very good, well directed film. It's been too long and I didn't think it was an "absolutely great film" on the levels of others, so I couldn't really consider it for my list.

Peeping Tom I watched recently, and overall I rated it "decent". I thought some aspects were very good, it started off very interesting, and I thought the direction was really good, but then as it tried to give the main character more of a story I felt it fell down with script + performances, which I wish were more subtle and realistic at certain times.

Two great movies that I at least had in contention for my list at one time. The Manchurian Candidate has faded from my memory a little, so I favor Peeping Tom.

haven't been posting in here much, considering my only film to make the top 100 so far is Black Sunday back at the beginning

besides that one, Fistful of Dollars, Easy Rider, The Haunting, Charade, My Fair Lady, & the Sound of Music were the closest to making my ballot. Sound of Music is one of those movies that most people know about who aren't movie fanatics. And then when its place was announced here, a lot of us MoFo movie fanatics said we don't really care for it. After watching my freddy movies at night, i like to sing along to songs like Sixteen Going on Seventeen & The Lonely Goat Herd

my favorite parts are Charmian Carr as Liesl

I'm 16, and i don't need a governess

actually, Charmian Carr was 23 when that movie was released, so i don't feel bad that she's my favorite part this was a huge hit when it was released and it's one of the more beloved films still today- perhaps not as much among the critical and fanatical movie people, but they can overthink things sometimes

the rest that i've seen in here are in my
7.0ish / 10 range

*insert hippie 60's gif here*

Peeping Tom is the fourth movie from my list, at #18. I don't think it's better than Psycho, but I think its ideas and themes are more relevant today, what with the everyone walking around with smartphones recording videos, and sites online where you can see uncensored videos of dead and dying people. I also think its grittier tone holds up better today as well. In fact it really reminds me more of Hitch's Frenzy made a decade later. The ending is certainly strange, but logical given everything else. I do think the ending might have come across as a little less campy (and it does feel a little campy) if they'd put as much effort into it as Hitchcock did for the "shower scene," but I realize budget constraints may have played a factor.

My List:

3. A Hard Day’s Night (#53)
9. Bonnie and Clyde (#45)
18. Peeping Tom (#33)
21. Andrei Rublev (#55)

Master of My Domain

The Machurian Candidate was my #25

I love films about the dark edge of psychological dismemberment and satirical war films, especially set during the cold war (Fail Safe, Strangelove), combine the two and you have a brilliant film.

The brainwashing happens quite early on in the film, allowing the plot to start from a near ground zero, where all coherent memories are washed away and replaced with artificial ones. The effect of it kicks in on Ben Marco (Frank Sinatra) who teams up with Allen Melvin (James Edwards) to uncover this current mystery.

Seen today The Manchurian Candidate is a bit boring, as the way characters are divided is more of a plot device nowadays, but it fits the time era perfectly. The end of the Korean War and the very start of the Cold one was when good and evil were clearly decided by propaganda and, of course, brainwashing. What is not clearly divided and made clear is the boundaries between realism and surrealism. Sometimes the film shitfs from a dream to a flashback to a current reality with amazing cinematography (Lionel Lindon) and editing (Ferris Ebster). The result is fantastic, and every one of those scenes is the highlight of the film.

Why it didn't place higher on my list: I love this film, but not as much as before, and I thought it could place high without my help, I think that assumption is right. As for the film that placed above it, Peeping Tom, it is a dear favorite to many MoFos including Captain Spaulding and mark f, and some claim it's even better than the legendary Psycho, so I'm willing to check it out.

Two very cool movies that I didn't vote for (although Manchurian would have made it a couple years ago and was just outside this time around) that I like to see side by side; they're complimentray in a way and would make a great double bill.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Since my last post, there's just been The Sound of Music. I'd like to believe that 8 more of my movies will make the list. We shall see!

06. The Haunting (1963)
08. Barefoot in the Park (1967)
12. What Ever Happen to Baby Jane? (1962)
15. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
18. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967)
19. The Sound of Music (1965)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I wanted to watch The Manchurian Candidate but couldn't get hold of it before the countdown.

Peeping Tom was my #16. I'm not a big fan of horror movies and I wasn't sure that this film would be for me, but everything about the way it is filmed, especially the colours, were great. I think the big difference between this and Psycho, the thing that probably made the critics run scared of it when it was released but also the thing that I think makes it really fascinating now is the way the camera is involved in the murders. It says a lot about voyeurism, and perhaps even makes the audience feel complicit in what is happening. And this is thirty years before Michael Haneke's Funny Games!

Unregistered User
Peeping Tom was good but was never in contention for my list. Good to see Frankenheimer back on the list with Manchurian, he made some great films in the 60's, hopefully he'll appear again.

The Breakdown...

The Innocents

2x 3rd (46 points), 5th (21 points), 6th (20 points), 9th (17 points), 12th (14 points), 13th (13 points), 15th (11 points), 3x 16th (30 points), 2x 17th (18 points), 19th (7 points), 21st (5 points), 24th (2 points)

Playtime

2x 1st (50 points), 2nd (24 points), 5th (21 points), 2x 6th (40 points), 7th (19 points), 10th (16 points), 11th (15 points), 16th (10 points), 18th (8 points), 20th (6 points), 23rd (3 points)

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

I've never heard of the Innocents, I'll watch it.

As for Plytime it definitely is the best Tati film I've seen, but it remains a bit cold.

The Innocents made one draft of my list but not the one I sent in. Anyway, It's real good. Playtime, on the other hand, wasn't even close to making my list.