The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

For sure. Elmer Gantry and The Professionals should be locks, and I would think Judgment at Nuremberg is likely. If Seven Days in May were going to show it would have been in the 90s or 80s for placement, but Lancaster should end up with four or five total, when things are done.
Judgment at Nuremberg better make it. Elmer Gantry is a lock even though I'm ashamed to say it is the only film from Marks top ten I haven't watched yet. Doubt The Professionals will make it but I may be wrong.

The Breakdown...

In the Heat of the Night

2x 12th (28 points), 13th (13 points), 14th (12 points), 15th (11 points), 2x 18th (16 points), 19th (7 points), 21st (5 points), 23rd (3 points), 25th (1 point)

Contempt

3rd (23 points), 8th (18 points), 10th (16 points), 12th (14 points), 13th (13 points), 15th (11 points), 22nd (4 points), 24th (2 points)

Notes

In the Heat of the Night tied with The Virgin Spring but appeared on more lists so appears higher. Contempt becomes the first film to receive over 100 points, and was the only film to receive 101 points, so no tie breaker was needed.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Contempt was 24th on my list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Umph..Godard

3. The Lion in Winter 77
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas 101
11. From Russia with Love 87
19. The Italian Job 85
21. In the Heat of the Night 66
23. True Grit 72

I put The Lion in Winter a little too high in hindsight but it's still wonderful and worthy of my personal top ten for this decade.

Late PS-Cape Fear almost made my list.

Contempt is probably a surprise inclusion on my list for some. It's 1 of 4 movies that I considered for my number 1 slot, and I ended up having as my #3. I'm pretty happy because I didn't think it would make it at this point. I thought director Godard showed great insight in this movie into the feelings and needs of a woman, and I was emotionally involved throughout. It was a very powerful movie for me and a big surprise. Oh yea, I could look at Brigitte Bardot all day long-

In the Heat of the Night is also a great movie. It was in contention for my list, but it didn't quite make it.

My list-
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
"In the Heat of The Night" was one of the ones that I struggled with. I really, really like it. But it was one of the last minute omissions. I don't know. I suppose if I were going to make a Top 30, it would definitely be in that.

The third film from my list and my #19. As with the other two choices from my list which have shown us so far, this film is a tour de force of script and two central performaces. Obviously the race politics stand out here and the moment when Mr. Endicott slaps Tibbs and Tibbs slaps him back must've instantly became an iconic moment in American cinema. It's certainly the first part of the film which springs to mind when I think of this film and was possibly the only bit of the film I'd seen before I watched it.

Whilst the script and performances are key here, I think it's the grudging respect/odd couple chemistry of Poitier and Steiger which sells the film and makes it a film which can be loved rather than 'merely' admired or a curio of its time.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
In the Heat of the Night is rather average to me.
I'm afraid that that is how I am going to feel when I see what is number one.

Two good films, of which I prefer In the Heat of the Night. I didn't have room for either on my list.

Two movies I was supposed to watch before sending in my list, but nope, never did.

Two movies I was supposed to watch before sending in my list, but nope, never did.
That's because you were messing around watching all horror and exploitation movies.

That's actually a pretty good excuse.