A question for all Atheists

Tools    

Your right, in fact I have a hard time taking in anything you say at all. I have to stop engaging. I kick myself every time.
It sounds to me like you're saying that evolution doesn't exist, if that's the case then the debate's pointless - just like I'm not going to get into a debate about WWII with someone who thinks that the Holocaust was a hoax.

Everything I'm arguing's presumed the other parties' accept that evolution is scientific fact (whether they believe that god used evolution to create life, or whether there is no god) - if someone believes that all of modern science for the past 200 years is wrong, and it's an ancient desert tribe that somehow got all the right answers, then there's no point in entertaining them, sorry

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
It sounds to me like you're saying that evolution doesn't exist, if that's the case then the debate's pointless - just like I'm not going to get into a debate about WWII with someone who thinks that the Holocaust was a hoax.

Everything I'm arguing's presumed the other parties' accept that evolution is scientific fact (whether they believe that god used evolution to create life, or whether there is no god) - if someone believes that all of modern science for the past 200 years is wrong, and it's an ancient desert tribe that somehow got all the right answers, then there's no point in entertaining them, sorry
Adaptation of species, yes. Monkey into man, no. My problem with talking to you is not that you believe in evolution. My problem is you say things completely off the wall and then just stick to those things by going back to where you started. It may not be true but you really come across as someone who is just making it up on the fly and are unwilling to admit it when someone points it out.

Can I get an answer to this?

What result, and why is that result rationally justified as taking priority over all others?
The rhetorical question you asked in response seems to suggest you're simply equating morality with survival. Is that the case?

Adaptation of species, yes. Monkey into man, no.
Monkeys didn't evolve into man, they both evolved separately from a common ancestor. You speak of something you've done very little research on.

So yes, you have a fringe belief about the origin of man and you're trying to drag that into this thread - this thread's not a "does evolution exist?" debate - it's a debate about what morality is.

My problem with talking to you is not that you believe in evolution. My problem is you say things completely off the wall and then just stick to those things by going back to where you started.
Again this thread's not a debate about whether or not evolution exists

If you think evolution doesn't exist then you should start a creationist thread because that's where this belongs. Some religious people still believe that the earth doesn't revolve around the sun too, but if anyone wants to discuss something like that they should create a 'geocentrism' thread instead.

It may not be true but you really come across as someone who is just making it up on the fly and are unwilling to admit it when someone points it out.
Again I was assuming the parties accept that evolution exist - you're dealing this thread and turning it into an "evolution vs. creation debate" which I don't believe was the intended purpose of the creator.

Can I get an answer to this?

The rhetorical question you asked in response seems to suggest you're simply equating morality with survival. Is that the case?
Essentially yes, though again in humans "survival" and creating a positive legacy goes beyond mere material needs like food, water, reproduction. Again a person could "survive" a life in solitary confinement, but they would not be happy or fulfilled, and would not be able to positively influence others cut off from the world.

Things which benefit the self and the species as a whole, all variables considered would be the most moral course of actions.

Things which benefit the self and the species as a whole, all variables considered would be the most moral course of actions.
It sidesteps the question to just say "benefit" without explaining what you mean. Which benefits take priority, why, and why are your answers to those questions more rational than any other answer someone might give?

galileowaswrong.com/

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
"Your worldview is a futile, vacuous pursuit and your God is a terrible moral instructor, but it's not my business!"
I'll get to all your responses eventually but I think you ought to remove the quotation marks here because I never said this and, to be kind, it's misleading.

I'd be glad to. I honestly don't think anyone's going to get the wrong idea, but it's a fair request.

In case anyone needs clarification: each of those sentiments was expressed (using those terms) at different points in the conversation, but not in one continuous sentence. I was making a point through their juxtaposition.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
In case anyone needs clarification: each of those sentiments was expressed (using those terms) at different points in the conversation, but not in one continuous sentence.
Or put another way: He never said that. No big deal, and I can understand it. Just wanted to set the record straight.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
If your argument against God boils down to "you can't be certain," then, yeah, ya' got me. But then my questions become a) why this is a good standard to have in the first place and b) how do you manage to believe in other things you aren't certain about.
It's not about getting you or anybody else but I want to start with this because I think it strikes at the heart of this entire debate: If you can't be certain of a particular claim--be it religious, metaphysical or scientific--where does that leave you and how should you proceed? it seems it essentially leaves you where you started and nowhere to proceed. In terms of religion, you can choose to take that proverbial leap of faith, but why believe and devote yourself to something that may be mistaken?

You want theists to know you think their worldview is a futile, vacuous pursuit, and their God is a terrible moral instructor, but that it's not your business? Then why say all that?
I'll admit I gave you a hard time for a spell when you refused to define objective morality but this casts my views in an unfair light. My position on metaphysics, religion, morality in The Bible has been academic, quite conventional really, and while I may think adherents follow what amounts to folklore, their beliefs are their own business and no doubt valuable to them.

If you're defining "speculation" as anything not empirically observed, then your claim is simply true by definition, and boils down to "the non-physical isn't physical." In which case, yes, I "concede" this. Though I never disputed it.
Well, this is the problem that plagues metaphysics and theology which is why they languish.

This is another one of those half-truths that gets passed around millions of times without anyone bothering to look into it. The only verse that can be remotely contorted to say this, to my mind, is the one in Joshua (which I just read the other day, by coincidence), where he commands the Sun to "stand still." To say this endorses geocentrism is a huge stretch, given that from the perspective of the person saying it, the sun stands still in the sky. In other words, it's one of those things that only looks wrong if you're looking for things that look wrong.

Also, where did this paragraph even come from? It feels like just random pot shots, disconnected from anything we've been talking about.
The Koran certainly asserts the sun moves and while The Bible may not (the writer of Joshua certainly thinks it does) it makes other errors, some cosmic, which I'm sure you're aware of. This isn't a potshot; it's to demonstrate what I've been saying about these holy books from the beginning: they're products of their age not divine revelation as claimed.

It's not misleading at all, because the point of the argument is not the number of religions, but the number of adherents within them. The fact that four are basically branches of the same governing, initial religion only strengthens my point that there is broad agreement.

But regardless, even if this were not true, it wouldn't be telling or significant, any more than it would be telling that you recognize other beliefs as false, just not your own. This is only revealing to someone who has already lumped them all under the category of folklore to begin with.
I agree that nothing is proven here, but I'm curious about these four religions that branch off the initial one which I gather is Judaism. I thought only Christianity and Islam had a relationship with Judaism.

I don't see how swapping in the word "dictate" would invalidate anything I just said (I used it myself, after all).
I misunderstood your reply but it seems you don't have a rational basis for your morality as I said before and, yes, I know that does nothing for my position.

And I don't understand how thinking of morality as a cognitive phenomenon changes any of it, either.
Morality is a cognition which involves neural activity which is physical so the principle of assigning a divine cause to physical phenomena would stand. However, I think this principle is really applicable to anything that's not understood. Just because something is not explained doesn't justify assigning a divine reason for it. God/s can't be a default position.

And how reasonable would it have been to believe in evolution before you'd ever heard of it?
That's my point. Until Darwin the explanation for biodiversity was a divine one because it couldn't be explained otherwise.

You cannot trumpet empirical claims above others and then brush off simple questions about your morality with "well, maybe we'll discover something that retroactively justifies what I already believe." That's aggressively speculative. Aggressively non-empirical. It is completely inconsistent with the ideology you've been espousing.

And it's worse than that, even, because you're not waiting on a scientific breakthrough: you're waiting on an answer to a question that is definitionally outside of science to begin with. Science is about whys and hows, not oughts. It is literally impossible for any scientific breakthrough to prove that something is moral or immoral, or that something like duty exists.
I don't see a problem with saying we don't know at the moment, which isn't to say there aren't theories some find convincing. Remember that neurology and psychology are very young fields so it may turn out that oughts will be explained--not that there aren't theories that claim to explain that already. What I think you can't do is assign a divine cause simply because something is not yet understood.

I don't see how this makes sense, either as an answer or as a comparison. "Deities" is not the analog for morality, religion is, because we also know that to exist. You believe religion exists, but you don't believe it has a rational basis (God).
I think religion originally had a rational basis because the world was not understood and I do think there are understandable or rational reasons why people still follow religion such as community, hope, purpose, answers, and more.

Similarly, you can believe morality exists (in the sense that ideas exist, at least), but that doesn't mean it has a rational basis. And that was the question: how can you hope to reconcile the fact that you require proof to believe in God, but not the moral standard which governs your life? The fact that morality exists as an idea/impulse doesn't answer this question at all.
I don't think I understand the question. Why would I need proof to believe in my morality if it's manifest. The question is how it develops outside of it being learned through one's parents and culture. And I'm still not sure why morality must be rational. If, for argument's sake, morality was purely biological like something we may be seeing in other primates, why is that a problem?

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
And it's worse than that, even, because you're not waiting on a scientific breakthrough: you're waiting on an answer to a question that is definitionally outside of science to begin with. Science is about whys and hows, not oughts. It is literally impossible for any scientific breakthrough to prove that something is moral or immoral, or that something like duty exists.
I realized I misread your point here, possibly confused it with another I remember coming across about "ought", so I'm correcting my answer to it here rather than editing it to ensure you see it. I don't think science can prove what's moral or not--although there are some who apparently think science can be used to inform us of an optimal morality--I think that science may eventually determine why we have morality, why he have "oughts."

In terms of religion, you can choose to take that proverbial leap of faith, but why believe and devote yourself to something that may be mistaken?
I don't see a problem with saying we don't know at the moment, which isn't to say there aren't theories some find convincing. Remember that neurology and psychology are very young fields so it may turn out that oughts will be explained
Surely you see the problem here? On one hand you're asking how someone can base the way they live on something unproven. On the other hand you're saying you do precisely that, by following a moral code without knowing what it's based in, if anything.

I don't think I understand the question. Why would I need proof to believe in my morality if it's manifest.
Because the only part that's manifest--the mere impulse--isn't what's being questioned. What's being questioned is whether or not that impulse has any rational basis.

I'm sure you, like all of us, have many impulses that you acknowledge aren't good to follow merely because you have them. So why is this one different? Why doesn't your innate moral sense get subjected to the same gauntlet of skepticism and justification as every other impulse (or every religion)?

The question is how it develops outside of it being learned through one's parents and culture. And I'm still not sure why morality must be rational. If, for argument's sake, morality was purely biological like something we may be seeing in other primates, why is that a problem?
Because it's simply incompatible with the other beliefs. An empiricist making all sorts of life decisions based on a completely sub-rational code of conduct?

Surely you see the problem here? On one hand you're asking how someone can base the way they live on something unproven. On the other hand you're saying you do precisely that, by following a moral code without knowing what it's based in, if anything.

Because the only part that's manifest--the mere impulse--isn't what's being questioned. What's being questioned is whether or not that impulse has any rational basis.

I'm sure you, like all of us, have many impulses that you acknowledge aren't good to follow merely because you have them. So why is this one different? Why doesn't your innate moral sense get subjected to the same gauntlet of skepticism and justification as every other impulse (or every religion)?

Because it's simply incompatible with the other beliefs. An empiricist making all sorts of life decisions based on a completely sub-rational code of conduct?
I'm unsure why VFN is claiming his morality is "faith based". But morality which isn't based on tangible things is incorrect, plain and simple.

People make judgment calls about the best decisions based on their situation awareness, but it has a rational and biological basis when done correctly, rather than a blind adherence to some code of conduct which someone claims to 'believe in' but doesn't even know why. Everything I believe in I can explain in terms of biology, cause and effect, etc

The idea that 'having faith' that a specific deity exists is no different than 'having faith' that you won't die in a car wreck when you drive to work simply isn't true - it's an argument from ignorance - it's also double talk on the part of some religious people (ex. claiming the Bible, Koran, etc is the "one true belief" on one hand, while at the same time claiming it's "based just on faith" and therefore "no different" than any other belief, when that position suits them).

Yeah, you've made that claim before, and every time I questioned it, you bailed.

Three separate times in this thread you've suggested that your morality was rational. All three times I questioned this, and all three times you gave an opaque answer like "positive legacy" or "evolutionary purpose." And all three times, when I questioned that, you left the thread.

Here are the examples:

You didn't explain anything: you're still making opaque references to things like "evolutionary purpose" without explaining what it is, how you know what it is, how you know whether or not something is in "harmony" with it, and what rational argument you can make if someone has a different answer to any of those questions.
See, this is a perfect example of the loop you're trapped in: I ask you why your morality is rational. You say because it comes from your evolutionary purpose. I ask you why your evolutionary purpose is rational. You say because it has positive benefits. I ask why those are rational, and you say it's because they fit into our evolutionary purpose. You're making me chase you from one phrase to another without ever actually defending any of them.
It sidesteps the question to just say "benefit" without explaining what you mean. Which benefits take priority, why, and why are your answers to those questions more rational than any other answer someone might give?
This is essentially the same question each time, and you stopped replying immediately after all three. I'm thinking that's not a coincidence.

Enough of the silly evasions. Either defend your claim properly or have the humility to bow out. But don't bolt when the questions get tough and them come back later like nothing happened.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

When I offered the idea of an irrational morality I didn't mean there isn't a basis for it, only that it may be hardwired, formulated intuitively or on the periphery of our awareness, at least in the first instance. It's general basis, which I've offered several times before, is self-interest or mutual self-interest within a social setting. Of late, I've chosen to take the position that I don't need to provide any answers for morality's basis because it's you that's made a claim about it. You argue morality has a divine basis and, as yet, I haven't seen you establish it. While I don't see how I'm obligated to prove anything, brain scans have mapped neurological moral activity, shown it differs or isn't present in damaged ones, can be manipulated with stimuli, and seems apparent in other social species, especially certain primates, all which demonstrate its biological, evolutionary nature.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
The last discussion I entered here was because somebody metioned the evolution of brain activity. I of course was ridiculed for being a creationist. Now here we are again talking about the evolution of brain activity as hard fact and the burden of "proof" is on the weak minded creationist. Someday I will get a good explanation of how some theory becomes infallible while other is comic relief. I have been a part of a lot of these discussions and have yet to hear anything resembling a logical explanation.

The last discussion I entered here was because somebody metioned the evolution of brain activity. I of course was ridiculed for being a creationist.

Now here we are again talking about the evolution of brain activity as hard fact
It is.

and the burden of "proof" is on the weak minded creationist.
Because if I told you that Zeus is who causes lightning storms (instead of electrical currents in the atmosphere) , then the burden's on you to "prove Zeus doesn't exist"? There's no law against believing in anything, but claiming they're 'equally valid' (while at the same time duplicitous claiming that "The Bible is literally true! Evolution as a lie" as the apologists do despite the prior claim of "equal validity") just isn't correct.

Someday I will get a good explanation of how some theory becomes infallible while other is comic relief.
Why is the 'theory' that Hitler killed 12 million people in the Holocaust 'infallible', and the theory that it was a "Zionist hoax" comedic relief?

There's no "infallible" theory since they are all observations - but the truth is that the overwhelming scientific evidence supports evolution as fact; the theory that a specific God from a specific religious book created the world in 6 days - and that all of science for the past 150 years has been wrong, and it's an ancient desert tribe that somehow discovered got it all right. Well, that theory isn't supported by science or evidence anymore than alternative theories about the Holocaust.

I have been a part of a lot of these discussions and have yet to hear anything resembling a logical explanation.
And next you'll probably "get offended" over comparing it to Holocaust denial, or "trutherism", or other conspiracy theories - even though evidence and plausibility wise, that is what it is, a fringe belief.

Plus there's no reason there could not be "a god" and why he could not have used evolution to 'create' life. The belief however that the Genesis story is literally true is a different matter entirely.