Inherent Vice

Tools    

trailer needs more ed norton - 0/5
very constructive comment .... like usual

Could it be?

Could it possibly be?!

I think for the first time ever, I might actually end up genuinely loving a Paul Thomas Anderson movie. This looks fantastic!

Joaquin or no Joaquin, I never thought I'd say that.

Oh, please. If Joaquin wasn't in this movie, you would not think it would be good

It looks like a lot of fun (read: It doesn't look like a Paul Thomas Anderson movie).

It seemed like a Tarantino trailer.
It kind of has this Jackie Brown/Out of Sight/Get Shorty feeling to it indeed. I think it will be a little more wacky and weirdly surreal than the trailer is trying to make us believe, though.
This is still the marketing phase and Warner Bros wants people to actually watch this film.

I think the trailer does a good job at satisfying PTA fans and mainstream audiences alike.

Now it's waiting for the first reactions of the critics (in 4 days) after the NYFF premiere!

Finished here. It's been fun.
First time I saw the trailer, it didn't do much for me...but it really is growing on me. The vibe seems very fun,wacky and quite funny. This looks like whole new breed of PTA film, so i am of course beyond excited.

I don't know why everyone is acting so shocked/surprised about the film, how good they think it's going to be, the style etc. Trailer was great though.
I'm just shocked because I don't like PTA.

Just noticed this now . Thanks alot for always keeping this thread up to date Cob, and for posting the trailer as soon as it left PTA's fingertips .

Can't wait for this i'm trying not to get my hopes up, but PTA has replaced Scorcese as the Director i look forward to the most. Saying that my two favourites of his so far have been his most serious; TWBB and The Master, i don't think he's made a bad film though.

Just noticed this now . Thanks alot for always keeping this thread up to date Cob, and for posting the trailer as soon as it left PTA's fingertips .

Can't wait for this i'm trying not to get my hopes up, but PTA has replaced Scorcese as the Director i look forward to the most. Saying that my two favourites of his so far have been his most serious; TWBB and The Master, i don't think he's made a bad film though.

The first few reviews are very mixed. There are some very positive ones, but there are also a couple of other critics that clearly didn't like it. I think this just might become PTA's most dividing film. I'm pretty positive I'll personally like it a lot because it's totally my kind of film (some critics compare it to personal favorites of mine like Chinatown, The Long Goodbye and Night Moves), but it definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea.

It will be interesting to follow the general opinion of the NYFF audience in the upcoming days. I hope it will at least be predominantly positive.

On metacritic it has 89/100 with 8/8 positive reviews
I was going by the 6 reviews on Rottentomatoes (I know, it's not very representative yet), but next to those, I did indeed pretty much only find positive reviews. I'm going to look into it a little deeper today and read what some of my personal favorite critics have to say about it (if they've seen it).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Critical acclaim means zilch nowadays as far as actual quality. It's more a gauge measuring how far a movie is from typical Hollywood fare.