Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Marooned (1969). A story about 3 NASA astronauts stranded in Earth orbit after their retro rocket malfunctions, leaving them marooned with no way back and little oxygen.

The film is unique in that it's about an Apollo type mission to a orbiting space station in present day (sic) Earth. The film was made December 11, 1969 only months after the first astronauts landed on the Moon in July 20, 1969. Latter Apollo 13, launched April 11, 1970 would experience an eerily similar fate. Thus allowing Ron Howard to make a darn good movie in the distant future.

So if you can put yourself in the mind frame of the 1969 movie going audience, giddy with the magnificent achievement of the Moon shot...and see this movie, through their eyes, then it just might work for you.

The film is shot in documentary style with some stunning footage of real NASA rocket launches. The viewer learns little about the characters and their motives, instead the film plays like a: big screen, behind the scenes look at a crisis brewing at NASA's control center.

With that said. It's more of a historical side note, than awesome cinema. If you watch it look for the art directors overuse of the color red.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Marooned (1969). A story about 3 NASA astronauts stranded in Earth orbit after their retro rocket malfunctions, leaving them marooned with no way back and little oxygen.

The film is unique in that it's about an Apollo type mission to a orbiting space station in present day (sic) Earth. The film was made December 11, 1969 only months after the first astronauts landed on the Moon in July 20, 1969. Latter Apollo 13, launched April 11, 1970 would experience an eerily similar fate. Thus allowing Ron Howard to make a darn good movie in the distant future.

So if you can put yourself in the mind frame of the 1969 movie going audience, giddy with the magnificent achievement of the Moon shot...and see this movie, through their eyes, then it just might work for you.

The film is shot in documentary style with some stunning footage of real NASA rocket launches. The viewer learns little about the characters and their motives, instead the film plays like a: big screen, behind the scenes look at a crisis brewing at NASA's control center.

With that said. It's more of a historical side note, than awesome cinema. If you watch it look for the art directors overuse of the color red.

I watched "Marooned" a while back, and it was a pretty good movie, but surprisingly, even with all the big name stars in "Marooned", it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. It got off to a slow start, but it picked up after a while. The problem for me was that it focused too much on the people back here on Earth, and not enough on the stranded astronauts.

If you liked "Marooned", I would recommend the movie "Destination Moon" (1950). They are both similar stories, but I felt that "Destination Moon" had more tension. I cared more about the characters, I felt like they were in more danger, and I really wanted to see them get home safely. I wasn't as concerned about the characters in "Marooned". Maybe because the problem extended to the people back here on Earth, so the danger didn't feel as real for the crew in "Marooned" as it did for the crew in "Destination Moon".

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Yesterday, I decided that I would tackle the "streak" again. That is, on May 16th, I watched enough films for a run-time of 568 minutes. I started keeping track in January, and for a while, that was the streak. Until now, ...

Kill Your Darlings: I wrote a review about this one on my website, but other-wise, I'll say that it impressed me. In-fact, I would say that it might have been the best film that I watched in the bunch.

Puppet Master 4 is better than the first two. It's a colorful film with colorful characters and halfway decent acting. That is all I ask from Full Moon. It isn't better than the third, which is so far one of the best that I have seen from the company.

We Are What We Are is an okay film. I also wrote a review for this one. It has an interesting premise, and while it doesn't fulfill everything that I wanted from it. I lean more toward the positive side than the negative.

Enemy was disappointing. It isn't nearly as intelligent as some might lead you to believe and it doesn't have acting that is worth acknowledging. I wrote a review of this one too.

Under the Skin is also disappointing, but I liked it. I wanted for something more character-driven and with more emotion, but this is more of a minimalistic storytelling than anything. There is definitely an intrigue carried throughout the film, and a few memorable moments, but it's more of a visual experience than anything.

The World's End was entertaining. I really liked the main-character. While I think it started becoming more chaotic towards the end than I would have liked. It packed a lot of laughs and entertainment-value.

Yah, that's what I felt about Marooned too, except it's timing was impeachable. I bet audiences didn't like it's Debbi-Downer theme though. I never heard of it until recently.

I requested Destination Moon, but it looks like one of those Netflix films that they list but don't actually have. Rats.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I requested Destination Moon, but it looks like one of those Netflix films that they list but don't actually have. Rats.

Netflix seems to have a lot of those, don't they? I think I saw it a while back when it aired on Turner Classic Movies.

I have been looking forward to watching this movie for quite a while. And tonight I got my chance. Le Samourai was EXCELLENT! To describe the movie in one word would be...cool. Cool from the style of the shooting to the extreme cool of Jef Costello. The man must have ice water in his veins. A surprisingly principled hitman who runs into complications from his last job. This is by no means an action packed film (at least by modern standards). This is not Die Hard. Some movies I want speed and action, some I want to move along at a nice pace. Almost like smooth jazz or lounge music. Just sit back and enjoy. The film blends French cinema with certain traditions and tropes of Film Noir. Making this my new favorite French film. La Haine and The Passion of Joan of Arc are both incredibly powerful films, but this was just so much cooler to me.

Unregistered User
Frozen isnt a bad film nor is it worth banging on about so much. But my daughter loves it so much. What I find more annoying is that there is not any toys out yet and my daughter is in great need for the little figure set that should be out in Disney soon hopefully!
My daughter used to love it (her obsession with dinosaurs is back) and watch it every day. I was actually able to get figures for her in the Disney Store. Have you tried there?

the last best & wonderful movie i saw is the devil's advocate

Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I have been looking forward to watching this movie for quite a while. And tonight I got my chance. Le Samourai was EXCELLENT! To describe the movie in one word would be...cool. Cool from the style of the shooting to the extreme cool of Jef Costello. The man must have ice water in his veins. A surprisingly principled hitman who runs into complications from his last job. This is by no means an action packed film (at least by modern standards). This is not Die Hard. Some movies I want speed and action, some I want to move along at a nice pace. Almost like smooth jazz or lounge music. Just sit back and enjoy. The film blends French cinema with certain traditions and tropes of Film Noir. Making this my new favorite French film. La Haine and The Passion of Joan of Arc are both incredibly powerful films, but this was just so much cooler to me.

Definitely one of the coolest films ever made. Have you seen Le Cercle Rouge, in my opinion it's far superior, it's similar in style so I can't see you disliking it.

Definitely one of the coolest films ever made. Have you seen Le Cercle Rouge, in my opinion it's far superior, it's similar in style so I can't see you disliking it.
Not yet. I need to see more of Jean-Pierre Melville.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Watch Army of Shadows. It's not as cool as these two and has different theme, but is just as good!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

I don't know how it compares to the 2009 film, but I don't see a reason to check since it is perfectly satisfactory. The story is told well, the cinematography was at a very good level, the acting was great and... it's been a long, long time since I saw a movie in which the usage of computers was represented fairly realistically.

I mean when you look at most films, when a computer is used, what you will almost always get is a Matrix-like streams of numbers and letters forming various shapes and animations. The latest James Bond movie made me facepalm hard, for example. I could understand this back in the day when not everyone knew how a computer works but these days pretty much everyone's got a computer! Even my grandpa!

Finally a movie which understands that! Here, you see actual operating systems, you get to see exactly the software and how it is used (a lot of Apple advertising was pushed into that but whatever...). I know it's a small thing but being a computer enthusiast it really does matter to me as it shows progress.

Not quite as ponderous as people seem to be giving it credit for. The cinematography is every bit as great as people are saying however. I am surprised I likes it as much as I did considering how little character we get. Absolutely mesmerizing visually.