Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sinister by Scott Derrickson

-A.W.E.S.O.M.E. If you are a horror movie fan you have to watch this film. scary as hell , great acting and very good storyline. My second best movie of the decade the first is the conjuring .

9.2/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You have a lot of films to watch, Derek.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Back to the Future 1985

I forgot how much I loved this film especially the scene with Doc and Marty near the end at the car park, its a scene that never fails to create a lump in my throat.

Rating: 10/10

Lore (2012) ~ 6.5

A very good drama that takes place in Germany at the very end of WWII. Children of Third Reich members having to defend for themselves on a journey to a family friend's house. They suffer thru many troubles along the way. This is a German film with very little English dialog.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
I actually have a few since the last time I've been here, so bear with me:

1. Godzilla (2014 film) - 9/10. Best monster movie I've ever seen!

2. Life of Pi - 10/10. Simply: Amazing!

3. Little Shop of Horrors - 7/10. It was good, but not exactly my cup of tea.

4. Lincoln - 8.5/10. Good historical film, but it seemed to drag on in some parts to me.

Yeah, it's a good movie. I rate it
I tend to be a bit harsh on rating films.. very very very few get 8 and over.... I have never had a 9.5 or 10 for any film..

I tend to be a bit harsh on rating films.. very very very few get 8 and over.... I have never had a 9.5 or 10 for any film..
I pity you.

Haven't you ever had the feeling that a film was just plain perfect?

I pity you.

Haven't you ever had the feeling that a film was just plain perfect?
very few.. one is Cocteau's "La Belle et La Bete" and its a 9....

Don't you think "perfect" deserves a 10?

I have seen an extremely a lot of films in my life. Im 47 years old and love cinema.... and I have never seen a film that just "completely floors me" when I walk out of the theatre or finish watching dvd, stream or whatever... but no matter what.. each film, no matter how great many think it is, there is always some flaw or something could have been done better.

The Experiment 4/5: Forest Whitaker absolutely owned this character, I literally wanted to hit him.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm sure I enjoy movies in general and my favorite movies as much as anybody, but I can't get that through to some people. Giving movies a more moderate rating is nothing deserving of pity, just as giving movies all 8, 9 or 10 is nothing deserving of contentment. My ratings don't mean I concentrate on the faults. True, no movie is perfect, but the absolute best or favorite ones anybody has seen deserve a 10 or
. Otherwise the rating system has no meaning. However, it also has no meaning if almost every film you've ever seen is a 7 (
) or higher. There are all the numbers available from 0 to 10 for a reason, but most people seem to think 3-6 don't exist. And believe it or not, it doesn't matter what kind of films (country, age, genre) you watch either. Nobody only watches great films. Films are considered great by consensus, not by an individual. Otherwise you could just take my word for it when I say it's great, just like I can take yours. I'm going to stop now before I get a response that "my movies taste better to me than yours do!"

I'm sure I enjoy movies in general and my favorite movies as much as anybody, but I can't get that through to some people. Giving movies a more moderate rating is nothing deserving of pity, just as giving movies all 8, 9 or 10 is nothing deserving of contentment. My ratings don't mean I concentrate on the faults. True, no movie is perfect, but the absolute best or favorite ones anybody has seen deserve a 10 or
. Otherwise the rating system has no meaning. However, it also has no meaning if almost every film you've ever seen is a 7 (
) or higher. There are all the numbers available from 0 to 10 for a reason, but most people seem to think 3-6 don't exist. And believe it or not, it doesn't matter what kind of films (country, age, genre) you watch either. Nobody only watches great films. Films are considered great by consensus, not by an individual. Otherwise you could just take my word for it when I say it's great, just like I can take yours. I'm going to stop now before I get a response that "my movies taste better to me than yours do!"
I do agree with you Mark. But I think what happens with a lot of members that are similar to me is we deliberately seek out films that 'are supposed to be good', so ratings are naturally going to be higher. If we were to sit down and rate them all from 0-10 on what we've seen, we'd be giving 2.5s to films that we still think are really good, but there's no point as we know there are films of lower quality out there that can fill up that end of the ratings scale.

You've seen all sorts of films, watch whatever's on TV, and can accurately pinpoint where on the scale of 0-10 everything sits, if I was washing all sorts of movies that I didn't necceseraily seek out, whatever is on TV or that, I would give a lot of lower ratings.

Plus there's plenty of films that I will never see, that nobody will ever see, because they don't get distributed via TV/cinemas as they simply aren't good enough, if you factored in all these films, so you had seen them all hypothetically speaking, you'd have sh*t load more rated 0-5, so if you are trying to make it a level playing field, you'd naturally have to up the ratings of the other films you'd already seen that are better.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm not coming down on people giving a lot of high ratings. Believe it or not I can remember giving the "great" movies mostly super high ratings when I started my ratings 40 years ago. I just would like to see some kind of consistency or perhaps growth in defining a person's personal rating system, but I'm undouubtedly being too impatient about it because I don't know how long I'll be around and know it on this Earth. I expect everyone to have their own ratings, but after I'm exposed to a lot of them, I should hope to see what they're basing their ratings on. I know some people don't use ratings that seriously, and as far as the bell curve goes, it's not that I personally use it, I just think it's good to remember when using a system that most do fall toward the middle, rather than the edges. All of this probably has more to do with my mortality than you guys' ratings I just seem to have to bring this topic up periodically, so if it has meaning or helps somebody, that's good. No personal attacks should be found within.

Mr. Nobody 3.5/5: Not sure what I was expecting, but it didn't really have much of an effect. Worth a view if you've nothing else going on.

Ok, hold up! Isn't this supposed to be about personal preference on how you rate a film? Just because someone doesn't agree with anyone on something doesn't make them wrong. Everyone enjoys different genres and views things differently. Example, Swan didn't care for "A Serbian Film" but I enjoyed it. Why? Because our taste in Extreme Cinema is different and I respect his opinion (Sorry Swan, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example). If someone gave a film, that I truly enjoy, a bad rating, I'm okay with that. No passing judgement. But it seems that because I give a harsher rating on films, then I am criticized for that. One of my favorite English speaking films is "Kingdom of Heaven", it gets a 7.75 from me but I know many people who do not like it. Its all personal choice and well, it takes more to please my visual senses, in my opinion.

I thought this forum was to discuss, encourage and to recommend cinema to each other without criticism or judgement. Or at least, I'm sure that is what the creator of the forum was hoping for!