Man of the Year

→ in
Tools    

It's tragic really. The concept appears to be pure comic gold, a modern classic in the making. Robin Williams as a political comedian who runs for and is elected president. Appearances have never been more decieving. Man of the Year has been advertised as Robin Williams next big genius project. As I watched the trailers on television, I admit I was hooked. I had hoped walking into the multiplex tonight that the film would succeed in reeling me in. After about twenty minutes in however, I found myself wanting to swim the other way. The previews that had snatched my attention were basically a condensed version of said twenty minutes with a small bit or two from later in the film. These are the only humorous parts of a film that quickly slides out of the genre it was destined to thrive in, and into a depressing combination of political thriller/romance that leaves the audience scratching their heads asking, "Wasn't this supposed to be a comedy, a BARRY LEVINSON comedy?" Apparently not. It almost feels as if Levinson wanted to make two seperate films and didn't have the greenlight for one of them. Thus he tried to include it in Man of the Year. The result is a frustrating mess that fizzles out quicker than a sparkler at a Tom Dobbs campaign rally. Sorry Robin, it's not your fault. You're great. Man of the Year is not.

Robin Williams performance was outstanding like always, but the story line could have been better. As for the t.v. previews, they were misleading but that will happen. Overall it was worth the money.

Originally Posted by ilsailor
Robin Williams performance was outstanding like always, but the story line could have been better.
It is so sad that a movie that should have been great turned out to be very weak. The only reason it was not a total piece of crap is Williams. It should have been much better, it really should have. Oh well.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Again, I saw this free. I didn't expect much although I do like movies about someone who isn't one of the two parties somehow making it to the white house in general.

I liked it pretty well. It was funny. Some great political points were made as well.

Williams did of course make the film.

Tina Fey was great too.

This was a very odd film, not at all what I expected it to be when I first tuned in...Robin Williams playing a stand-up comedian who ends up being elected president definitely brings up preconceived cinematic intentions, but this film offered none of those intentions. The dark places where this film went were definitely on the disturbing side...everything that happened to Laura Linney's character was so frightening and the fact that the Williams character was oblivious of it all was equally disturbing. The film is kind of all over the place and I'm not really sure what the film is supposed to make the viewer feel...it made me uncomfortable.