Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The River Murders (Rich Cowan, 2011)
+
The Match Factory Girl (Aki Kaurismäki, 1990)

Dead Heat (Mark Malone, 2002)
+
Christmas in Connecticut (Peter Godfrey, 1945)

Sisters of the Gion (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1936)

Border Run (Gabriela Tagliavini, 2012)

Blood and Concrete: A Love Story (Jeffrey Reiner, 1991)
+
Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country (Anders Ĝstergaard, 2008)
-

Black Dawn (Alexander Gruszynski, 2005)
+
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (Carlos Saldanha & Mike Thurmeier, 2009)
+
Beethoven’s 2nd (Rod Daniel, 1993)
+
Overlord (Stuart Cooper, 1975)
-

Nenette and Boni (Claire Denis, 1996)

The Greatest Gift (Harold Daniels, 1942)

Phone Booth (Joel Schumacher, 2002)

Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)
(If Tarkovsky went for the gut instead of the brain)

Compliments of the Season (Arthur Hurley, 1930)

Basquiat (Julian Schnabel, 1996)

The Wicker Tree (Robin Hardy, 2011)

Love Finds Andy Hardy (George B. Seitz, 1938)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl (1998 Joan Chen)
+ *rewatch
Session 9 (2001 Brad Anderson)
*rewatch
Out of the Furnace (2013 Scott Cooper)

Ripa Hits The Skids (1993 Christian Lindblad)

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Hey Mark, are you giving these ratings for movies that you have seen lately, or are you just picking random movies and adding them here?
Those are the films he's seen since his last set of ratings.
Time elapsed between today's and yesterday's ratings: 1446min
Combined running time of movies listed: 1761min
The missing minutes: 315

Haha, you really didn't like "Out of the Furnace". It sounds like it's one of those love/hate movies.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly. Sergio Leone's stylish,extravagant spaghetti western is a feast for the eyes and ears.One of the best Westerns ever made, maybe even The best. Oozing with vibrant atmosphere,Leone immerses you into a vast world as vivid as any place you'll ever visit.Massive,sprawling landscapes stretching as far as one can see.Good ol' fashioned shootouts, and one of the best movie characters to ever grace the silver screen "The Man with No Name".Oh and it has one of the best themes ever composed "The Ecstacy of Gold" by the fantastic composer Ennio Morricone.
Pretty damn badas*,

The Wizard of Oz-The classic fantasy adventure dazzles with its incredible imagery and its simple but effective story. The visuals hold up remarkably well today. The sets,costumes,effects,and just the overall feel of Oz is beautifully rendered.It looks stunning to say the least.You get magic out of this you'll never get with CGI .The Wizard of Oz is a fun and simple Fantasy adventure that will continue to entertain for centuries to come.

Mud. Incredible coming of age film that feels mature,focused and intelligent. Incredible performances, great direction, and an engaging story round out a truly great film.Never sappy or melodramatic,simply honest.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Time elapsed between today's and yesterday's ratings: 1446min
Combined running time of movies listed: 1761min
The missing minutes: 315
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hmmm, indeed. I only post 20 at a time, there is a slight backlog, and I don't always post them spontaneously. Then there's a practice of occasionally missing the beginning of a cable flick and skipping the end credits of most on cable too. Also, IMDb doesn't match up with the running times on cable and DVD. For example, on cable and uncut, The Dead Heat runs 97 minutes, not 120. Sisters of the Gion is 69 minutes on the Criterion DVD (as listed lower down in the IMDb listing), not 95. It's funny about that one; I had to watch it from the beginning several times over three days because I kept watching it late at might and falling asleep. If that's not good enough, OK, I'll admit it - I'm cinemaafficianado, but thanks for keeping me real.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Hmmm, indeed. I only post 20 at a time, there is a slight backlog, and I don't always post them spontaneously. Then there's a practice of occasionally missing the beginning of a cable flick and skipping the end credits of most on cable too. Also, IMDb doesn't match up with the running times on cable and DVD. For example, on cable and uncut, The Dead Heat runs 97 minutes, not 120. Sisters of the Gion is 69 minutes on the Criterion DVD (as listed lower down in the IMDb listing), not 95. It's funny about that one; I had to watch it from the beginning several times over three days because I kept watching it late at might and falling asleep. If that's not good enough, OK, I'll admit it - I'm cinemaafficianado, but thanks for keeping me real.
The backlog makes some sense, though you're consistently posting 20 a day, and I'm not sure when the last time you didn't was, so the backlog must have started a long time ago. The rest of this is mostly counting tens of minutes and such, which is relatively minor in comparison to the hundreds of minutes in discrepancy all of this while accounting for a full 24 hours of watching movies, which doesn't account for anything like meals, bathroom, human interaction, doing things on the movie forum, and sleep.

which doesn't account for anything like meals, bathroom, human interaction, doing things on the movie forum, and sleep.
He's explained loads of times about why he can, it's not much of a choice for him, he's got his own health problems and suffered a stroke which has affected him - I'm sure he won't mind me saying as he's had to explain it many times before and there's stuff about it in his own thread. Sometimes I honestly wonder if you guys actually read half of what people write, it seems to be the same questions over and over again: either this one or questions about his ratings
+ I'd guess he doesn't watch each film with his full attention, like not on movie forums, considering he has seen most of them already, going on the forum as well as watching them makes sense.

The backlog makes some sense, though you're consistently posting 20 a day, and I'm not sure when the last time you didn't was, so the backlog must have started a long time ago. The rest of this is mostly counting tens of minutes and such, which is relatively minor in comparison to the hundreds of minutes in discrepancy all of this while accounting for a full 24 hours of watching movies, which doesn't account for anything like meals, bathroom, human interaction, doing things on the movie forum, and sleep.
the "tens" of minutes easily add up to "hundreds" over 20 movies. mark's already explained his general health/lifestyle issues and in particular his bathroom and sleep habits enough times on this forum and in this thread that there are probably dozens of mofos who can answer your questions by now, but i'm not going to because i'd feel dumb explaining to a third party how mark poops. if you're really that interested, go check out the mark f thread in the intermission forum. i'll leave it up to you to use the search function .

Bonnie and Clyde
(Arthur Penn, 1967)

A film that can be admired for a number of reasons, the story and characters are interesting (Warren Beatty is particularly great) and the story is told with great style - the cinematography, direction and screenplay make for a very enjoyable energetic crime film, however a few slight problems prevent it from getting another half star or more, how on Earth did Estelle Parsons win best supporting actress?

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah, 1974)
+

My type of film, it's gritty feel, excessive violence and its rather pessimistic story will not be for everyone, but I loved it. And even if you don't like it, I don't know how people once considered this one of the worst films ever made, I actually prefer this to The Wild Bunch, the only over Peckinpah I have seen. Warren Oates is superb as a man who is desperate, he plays an empty character who is losing everything he has, and finds himself in a situation far too big for him to get out of.

Blood Simple. (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1984)

I had been meaning to watch the Coen Brothers' debut film for a while, and recent viewings by a couple of members on here finally gave me the inspiration to do so. It might not be a fantastic film, but for a first feature the Coens deserve a lot of credit for how professional and assured the whole thing feels, it's directed with such confidence and style, with the Coen Brothers 100% trusting their off beat style. The story itself is quite straightforward, but told in a way that will keep you on the edge of your seat, with a number of slimy characters who motivations keep you guessing until the end. There's a great dark humour to this film, something now associated with the Coens, the final scene/line in particular I loved, and when contrasted with the music that plays in the end credits, you can't help but smile at this twisted but great little film.

Jules and Jim (François Truffaut, 1962)

I'm not really sure if my rating here is too generous or too harsh, which probably means it is about right. From a technical perspective, it's one of the most beautifully shot films that I have ever scene, with great black and white cinematography, and the soundtrack is brilliant too. My main problems lie with the actual story which I was never quite convinced by, the performances are good, but what happens in the film leaves you frustrated. Maybe it's something about foreign films and subtitles that make films about characters more difficult to understand, which may be aided by repeat viewings, but I just felt there was something missing to make the story more believable and enjoyable.

Thanks, guys.

I'm in the TV room 24/7, and the TV is on even when I'm "asleep", eating, interacting, performing bodily functions (sorry), etc. I counted the movies as 1606 minutes which cuts the missing minutes in half, but that doesn't explain the missing minutes. These are definitely the most-recent movies I've seen, and I've watched them within the last 48 hours, which I mentioned in a recent post about what I post about. If there's something I'm being accused of, I wish you'd spit it out. It's hard to confess when you don't know what for. I'll admit I have an illness, but it's moviemania and not lying. I've used this forum for seven years to display my various forms of this illness, so it's well-documented. Before that, I hounded other people at other forums, and before the internet, I hounded my friends and co-workers. So yeah, I'm guilty of being a pest too.

Mark has mega health issues, is bound to a bed (hospital style maybe?), watches movies all day while hanging on the forums for 20 hours, sleeps for four, and as for him using the toilet I am sure I can imagine how but do not much care to know exactly.

He is not saying he dates models by the truck load, is some high speed commando, or something that fantastic. Just a guy with a love of movies that goes back decades. Plus I have heard his voice from the podcast he did with Yoda where they talked about Jaws. Not a 14 year old kid faking it on the web.

Either that or he is THE DOCTOR!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm pretty sure bluedeed didn't mean to accuse you, but rather to impress you with his math skills since you used to teach Math as far as I remember.