The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I saw "Johnny Got His Gun" about 5-10 years ago and gave it a 9/10... I loved it so much I've been wanting to see it a second time, but for some reason, I think it's not one of those movies. It was very clear, and I wouldn't wanna ruin the memory, even if it goes down half a point... But if you all think it's better on the second viewing, I'll expedite it.
It was better for me the second time I watched it and the first time I thought it was pretty great. This time I paid attention to the choices the director made and didn't make and that gave me even more appreciation for Dalton Trumbo and Johnny Got His Gun.

#86 #86
49 points, 4 lists
Mrs. Miniver
Director

William Wyler, 1942

Starring

Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Teresa Wright, May Whitty

#85 #85
49 points, 6 lists
Tropic Thunder
Director

Ben Stiller, 2008

Starring

Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Cruise

I remember seeing and enjoying Tropic Thunder back in the day, but it's been a good while. I mostly remember the opening scene when they're filming the movie and Tom Cruise as Les Grossman. Obviously, it didn't make my list.

I haven't seen Mrs. Miniver.

Seen: 7/16

My ballot:  

Despite having several of its cast being people whose movies I usually avoid, I have loved Tropic Thunder from the start and there was never any doubt that it would get my vote. I had it at #6.

Here's what I wrote about it in 2021:

Tropic Thunder (Ben Stiller, 2008)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/03/2021
Rewatch: Yes.

I decided to make it an actor-directed satirical comedy double-feature.

When I first heard about this movie, I was not all interested in a comedy about making a war movie and especially not one starring Ben Stiller and Jack Black. But my mom wanted to see it and she was paying, so... why not?

I laughed my ass off. The movie is outrageous and irreverent, poking fun at the ridiculousness that is the Hollywood movie making machine. And no cog in that machine is spared. Executives, directors, agents, pyrotechnicians, crew, the Oscar academy, and especially the actors themselves get sent up as the eccentric, egotistical, and out-of-touch buffoons that many of them are. And yet none of the humor ever comes across as malicious.

I'm still not at all a fan of Stiller or Black, but they both turned in excellent performances - even if they were overshadowed by two other stars, Robert Downey, Jr. and Tom Cruise, who were both nearly unrecognizable. The rest of the supporting cast were all excellent as well.

As I sat down to watch it again today, though, I was worried that the jokes might not land like they did 13 years ago. I've seen Tropic Thunder many times, but it's a good long while since the last time. I'll admit that it certainly didn't blow me away this time like it did the first time, but for a comedy, it held up really well and I won't be eliminating it from my possibilities just yet.

I haven’t seen the other one from today or either of yesterday’s entries.

My Ballot:
6. Tropic Thunder (#84)
12. Hotel Rwanda (#91)
25. In the Army Now (One Pointer)

Happy to see Mrs Miniver make the countdown! This was one of the very last films I had to cut to get my ballot down to 25. It basically came down to a dime toss as I had several movies that I wanted to include but couldn't...So a big Thanks! to those 4 people who voted for Mrs Miniver. I bet one was @edarsenal and maybe another was @Thursday Next I did select this movie for her in one of the Personal Recommendation HoFs and she seemed to like it.

Not seen Tropic Thunder I'm sure it's a pretty fun Hollywood movie (hi Sean), it does seem to be very popular here.

Tropic Thunder was my number 23, right under Shame. I didn't expect to love it so much, but I considered it just like Galaxy Quest in a lot of ways.

My Ballot:

#7. Napoleon (96)
#22. Shame (90)
#23. Tropic Thunder (85)

Seen: 4/16.

Some random countdown stats, so far...
  • Tropic Thunder is the film that has been present in most ballots at 6.
  • Enemy at the Gates is the film with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score, and the only "rotten" one, at 54%
  • Tropic Thunder is the film with the lowest IMDb score at 7.1
  • There have been 5 groups of ties so far, with only Shame and Twelve O'Clock High being the "not-tied" films

I remember about 25 years ago thinking how much I liked Mrs Miniver. Haven't seen it since.

I like Tropic Thunder quite a bit but I don't think it's a war movie.

Tropic Thunder is a lot of fun. If movies about making movies about war counted then…I guess Tropic Thunder would still be one of a kind on this list lol.

Tropic Thunder is #2 on my ballot

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I have seen both of these but considered neither. Tropic Thunder was fun but I have no attachment to it at all. Mrs. Miniver has left the pea brain completely, but I gave it a 3.5 so I must have enjoyed.

FILM STATS BASED ON WARS PRESENT ON THE COUNTDOWN

French Revolution: 2
Rwandan Genocide: 1
Vietnam War: 1
WWI: 1
WWII: 8
Fictional Wars: 1
Similar Events: 2

Good Morning Vietnam was our first 'Nam war film.

Some random countdown stats, so far...
  • Tropic Thunder is the film that has been present in most ballots at 6.
  • Enemy at the Gates is the film with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score, and the only "rotten" one, at 54%
  • Tropic Thunder is the film with the lowest IMDb score at 7.1
  • There have been 5 groups of ties so far, with only Shame and Twelve O'Clock High being the "not-tied" films
Love these stats.

FILM STATS BASED ON WARS PRESENT ON THE COUNTDOWN

French Revolution: 2
Rwandan Genocide: 1
Vietnam War: 1
WWI: 1
WWII: 8
Fictional Wars: 1
Similar Events: 2

Good Morning Vietnam was our first 'Nam war film.
and these stats too!

Hey I got one, #9 on my list is Mrs. Miniver.
I've never seen Tropic Thunder, but I thought it was a movie about making a movie.
Anyway @Miss Vicky gave it such a good review, I will have to check it out.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mrs Miniver was my #21 in the end. Solid film that focuses on the home front. I particularly liked the Dunkirk section.

I haven't seen Tropic Thunder because it never appealed but judging by the number of people who have said they weren't expecting to like it but did, I probably ought to give it a go.

The trick is not minding
What? Tropic Thunder is not a war film. What “war” is it depicting? And no, just because the film is, for about 20 mins or less, about the filming of a war before it goes action comedy involving some drug producing drug gang , does not a war film make.

Reply to Topic