The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

One Cut of the Dead (2017) -

(SPOILER WARNING)

It's hard to talk about this film without spoiling it, so I'm not going to try. With so many zombie films being released each year, it's hard to find a modern one that has an original voice, but this film aces that. For the first 35 minutes, the film feels really trashy. The acting is bad, the direction feels awkward, and several scenes seem out of place and confusing. I didn't dislike the first act of the film though. Rather, I found it funny and had a good time with it. After the film appears to end though (in spite of an hour of the film remaining), it's revealed that the "movie production gone wrong" element of the first act was actually just a film crew shooting a film. The remainder of the film shows us the behind the scenes footage of the film crew preparing for and shooting the film. While the middle act dragged for me somewhat (this is the only part of the film I had an issue with), the final half hour brings everything home. There, we see the filming of One Cut of the Dead from the perspectives of both the actors and the crew members. It's in this portion of the film where we learn of all the mishaps which occurred during production which the crew had to work around. For example, two cast members got in a car crash on the day of filming and had to be replaced at the last minute, one actor was drunk and another actor had diarrhea during filming, the main cameraman suffered a back injury in the middle of the film and had to be replaced, one actress went off-script and began actually attacking several people, and a camera crane they planned to use for the final shot broke, requiring for the crew to form a human pyramid to improvise. While One Cut of the Dead initially seemed like a trashy horror film, the final act showed why it was as trashy as it was. So many things went wrong while shooting the film and the film crew only managed to finish it by the skin of their teeth. Given all these mishaps, the movie production gone wrong element of the first act was technically real. Just for a different reason than what I had initially suspected. Overall, I enjoyed this film quite a bit. In spite of my issue with the middle act, I found the rest of it really clever and I'm glad I watched it.

Next Up: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman

Did I need to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark again? Absolutely not, as I've seen the whole film (and various pieces of it) so many times over the years that I can recount the details of any individual scene from memory alone. Was I excited to watch it again regardless? Of course! Raiders has been one of my absolute favourite films, problems and all, since I was a child. Any excuse to sit down for another viewing is entirely welcome.

I've written multiple essays on the film for various University classes, from detailing its technical aspects, to critiquing Indiana Jones as an actual archaeologist, and everything in between. I've gone over Raiders with a fine tooth comb in the process, and even wrote a visual analysis of one of its most iconic theatrical posters. I dressed up in costume for its IMAX premiere, and often whistle the theme music when I'm doing chores around the house.

Why am I going over all this instead of saying anything of value about the film? I could've broken down what I enjoy most and what I would change about it, but none of that would have shown how deeply it has burrowed into my heart. I took real archaeology classes because of how much I like Indiana Jones. So when I say I love Raiders of the Lost Ark, know that I mean it with every fibre of my being. It's not a perfect film, but the overall experience far outweighs the criticisms for me.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	raiders.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	85516  

Yes, that is around 250 words that say nothing about the film itself.
Don't be so hard on yourself!

You told us, um, that there's an archaeologist in it. And . . . . that it has a poster!

I've written multiple essays on the film for various University classes, from detailing its technical aspects, to critiquing Indiana Jones as an actual archaeologist, and everything in between.

I've gone over Raiders with a fine tooth comb in the process, and even wrote a visual analysis of one of its most iconic theatrical posters.

I dressed up in costume for its IMAX premiere, and often whistle the theme music when I'm doing chores around the house.

I took real archaeology classes because of how much I like Indiana Jones.

Wow, Wow and Wow again! I guess you really like Raiders That's totally cool that you love this film so much, I hope you don't vote it last

I hope you don't vote it last
Could you imagine though?

It would be interesting to see what kind of crazy stacked HoF would see one of my all-time favourite films place dead last on my ballot haha.

Let the night air cool you off
Midnight Cowboy

SPOILERS AHEAD

I guess I didn't really have any idea what this movie was despite knowing the name of it and that it was an important film. I knew that one of the characters was a gigolo, so I expected one of the characters to be just out there crushing it. I didn't expect a naive and dumb kid loaded down with enough trauma to choke a donkey. Every time there are two dudes who are friends in movies everybody just always says nah it's homoerotic, them boys wanna f*ck. Which, I think the relationship here isn't erotic at all, but there is something there that could be more, and maybe would be erotic if Ratso wasn't sick and both of them weren't afraid of being gay. I love the way we see the trauma in experimental little flashbacks. It's an interesting way to break your heart for a character that you might not like at first glance. He's casually tossing around the other F-bombs and projecting a false bravado and confidence, he's pretty much a loser. Yet, when you see the full story, you can tell why. He's gotta run away from all that the best he can, he goes to New York to become a new person, then he goes to Florida to become a new person. It's probably not meant to be one of the themes of the film, but it kept reminding me that I need to be better about judging folks, or at least be aware that maybe something's lead them there. Or maybe realize, yeah this person might be sh*tty, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be compassionate about them. I'll probably keep being the judgmental scum I've always been, but I'll feel a little worse about it. Dustin Hoffman is interesting to me because it seems like everybody loves him, but I don't really love him. I think he's good, very good in this film, but Voight was better. He was very good at looking sweaty and that made me realize that I don't know how they do that in films. Did he get a little spritzing or did they make him get active a little bit and start sweating. He looked actually sick sweating like that, it reminded me of when I had covid, because I have never sweat that much in my life. Of course, tuberculosis or whatever the f*ck he had is worse than that. The scene where he tells Joe that he can't walk is a real "oh sh*t" moment for me, I think because I didn't really expect it. I know it's obvious and kinda a Chekhov's Gun scenario where you don't show an illness early on unless that person is getting got by it by the end of the film, but I was engrossed enough in everything else going on that the obvious conclusion was still kinda lost on me until that moment. Anyway, we should cancel this movie because of the use of the F-bombs, I'm putting it last on my list for that reason. But it's really good.

He was very good at looking sweaty and that made me realize that I don't know how they do that in films. Did he get a little spritzing or did they make him get active a little bit and start sweating.
Both Midnight Cowboy and Apocalypse Now feature very visible sweat, which was something I certainly wondered about as well. I assume for the latter it was mostly real though, since it can be quite humid in the Philippines.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have heard that spritzing and for better effect a little vaseline or oil works well

I forgot the opening line.

Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman

Did I need to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark again? Absolutely not, as I've seen the whole film (and various pieces of it) so many times over the years that I can recount the details of any individual scene from memory alone. Was I excited to watch it again regardless? Of course! Raiders has been one of my absolute favourite films, problems and all, since I was a child. Any excuse to sit down for another viewing is entirely welcome.

I've written multiple essays on the film for various University classes, from detailing its technical aspects, to critiquing Indiana Jones as an actual archaeologist, and everything in between. I've gone over Raiders with a fine tooth comb in the process, and even wrote a visual analysis of one of its most iconic theatrical posters. I dressed up in costume for its IMAX premiere, and often whistle the theme music when I'm doing chores around the house.

Why am I going over all this instead of saying anything of value about the film? I could've broken down what I enjoy most and what I would change about it, but none of that would have shown how deeply it has burrowed into my heart. I took real archaeology classes because of how much I like Indiana Jones. So when I say I love Raiders of the Lost Ark, know that I mean it with every fibre of my being. It's not a perfect film, but the overall experience far outweighs the criticisms for me.

My number one film for around 40 years - I whistle that tune while I do household tunes also, and I must say that your numerous University essays, visual analysis of it's theatrical poster and various influences makes me want to write the best review of it I can - including, like you, something of the personal effect it has had on my life - which is huge.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Dolores Claiborne (Taylor Hackford, 1995)
IMDb

Date Watched: 2/20/2022
Rewatch: No.

I don't have a whole lot to say about this one. I thought the story was really intriguing and I thought Kathy Bates did a really good job with the performance - though the dialogue kind of bugged me (Do people actually say "Gorry"? WTF?).

There were a couple of other things that kind of bugged me, like how quickly Dolores came to suspect what Joe was doing. I get that he was an abusive POS towards Dolores and I know her suspicions were correct, but it still seemed like a bit of leap based on the evidence she had. I also had an issue with Joe himself. While not a favorite, I usually find David Strathairn to be a very capable actor but something here just didn't work for me. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly was lacking in the performance, but Joe didn't feel real to me and it kept me from being fully engaged with the movie.

Even so, I enjoyed the film overall and while I don't think I'll watch it again, I don't feel my time was at all wasted in seeing it.

+

Dolores Claiborne (Taylor Hackford, 1995)
IMDb

how quickly Dolores came to suspect what Joe was doing. I get that he was an abusive POS towards Dolores and I know her suspicions were correct, but it still seemed like a bit of leap based on the evidence she had.
You have to wonder if it's something she had experienced as a child. I thought that in the sequence on the ferry you sort of see her ticking off check boxes in her head.

I'm not a parent--just a teacher--but when kids are that secretive and distressed, it just sends your mind to the worst places.

I forgot the opening line.

The Secret of Roan Inish - 1994

Directed by John Sayles

Written by John Sayles
Based on a novel by Rosalie K. Fry

Starring Jeni Courtney, Eileen Colgan
& Mick Lally

If I had a young daughter I think she'd enjoy The Secret of Roan Inish, and I think I'd enjoy watching it with her - without one, or any other children to watch this with, it's more difficult. Through a child's eyes the mystical and magical elements would ring more true, and there'd be a vicarious thrill as young Fiona Coneelly discovers her family has an extraordinary bloodline which includes a Selkie. I'm far too jaded to take anything like that at face value - and truth be told I even struggle a little with films depicting angels and magical creatures that are even meant for adults. A Selkie is something like a mermaid - half human and half seal, they can shed their seal-skin to reveal their human form. Folk-tales involving them usually come from Scotland, Ireland or Scandinavia and usually involve a female Selkie being beholden to a man who steals their skin, whereby they eventually return to the sea once it has been found or returned, abandoning their husband and children, who spot her from time to time in seal form over the ensuing years. It's a mythological creature I have never seen before depicted in a film, this being an adaptation of Canadian writer Rosalie K. Fry's children's novel The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry (originally published as Child of the Western Isles)

The film takes place not long after the Second World War. Fiona Coneelly (Jeni Courtney) has recently lost her mother to illness, and has been sent to live with her grandparents in a fishing village off the coast of Ireland. Talking to her family, we discover that they all used to inhabit a small island called Roan Inish, and that Fiona once had a brother, Jamie, who was lost as a baby when his crib floated out to sea as they were leaving. She also discovers that one of her ancestors had a wife that was a Selkie, and that the dark-haired children that are born are closely related to it. She hears tales about Jamie being spotted sailing along in his little crib, and one day while visiting the island she spots Jamie herself. She comes to the conclusion that if the family were to return to Roan Inish whatever force that is keeping Jamie from them will allow him to return. The film shines brightest when a tale is being told - tweaking just enough with lighting and cinematographic elements to take us into another realm. This is especially true when we get to see Susan Lynch bathed in orange light, transforming into human form and simmering on a beach as the Selkie instigator of the whole story.

Cinematographer Haskell Wexler was an awesomely expert hand that director John Sayles had at his disposal. Wexler was director of photography on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and had won 2 Oscars by the time he filmed The Secret of Roan Inish, for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in 1967 and Bound for Glory in 1977. Sayles had him use all aspects of technique and technology during the difficult shoot in Donegal, Ireland, where weather conditions changed so frequently the entire crew had to be on their toes and sometimes change the order in which scenes were shot. Sometimes foggy, and sometimes brightly lit, the film shows how Wexler, a veteran, could conjure exactly what was needed at any given time, and he had added challenges here when scenes were being shot at sea, or when they involved seals that were sometimes trained real ones and at other times animatronic robotic seals. The movie definitely looks great, and is a film that gives Ireland a dream-like fantastic quality with earthy greens and cool rocky greys. It's a consolation for someone like me who hasn't been completely swept away by the story alone, apart from it's fantasy sequences.

John Sayles is partly of Irish descent and had wrote and/or directed films in a multitude of genres by the time he adapted and directed The Secret of Roan Inish, having made his debut feature in 1980, Return of the Secaucus 7 which many compare to The Big Chill. He'd just been nominated for an Oscar for his previous screenplay - that for Passion Fish in 1992 - and would go on to be nominated again for writing the script to Lone Star which was released in 1996. He was at a career high-point, and comes across as an exceptionally thoughtful and intelligent writer and director. He'd written three novels by the time this film came along, and the purposeful creativity he put into this family film - a difficult kind of movie to get just right - served it as well as it could possibly be served. If I had kids I'd like to be able to show them The Secret of Roan Inish as something that rises above much of the asinine and meaningless action-orientated kind of films that are produced with more regularity these days. If I were younger I would have taken to the seals enthusiastically (the live ones caused Sayles no end of troubles) and I thought the lonely countryside, that seems completely at peace, was captured perfectly. Sayles also imbued the kids in this story with a strong work ethic, where they give their all to simply provide their family with a chance of reclaiming Jamie and their connection with the land.

One aspect that didn't work for me in particular, however, was young Jeni Courtney who leads the film as Fiona Coneelly. She was a non-actor who was chosen because she looked right for the part, and I didn't find her convincing in her role. At times her monotone delivery became annoying, and her cries of "Jamie!" whenever she spotted her young brother made me cringe, my ears stinging and my eyes watering. The rest of the cast is littered with either amateurs or actors who are most well-known from Irish television - there are no famous faces to distract, except for John Lynch in the small role as Tadhg. Lynch was one of the leads in Angel Baby, which is a film I recommend - a tragic love story with two people with severe mental illnesses falling for each other. The 1990s were a good time for John Lynch. This isn't really a film that depends on it's performances however - rather it's Rosalie K. Fry's story and it's adaptation and Wexler's cinematography that bring it off. What adds to it is frequent John Sayles-collaborator Mason Daring's score which manages to add a touch of ecstatic Irish joyfulness to proceedings.

Daring had been providing John Sayles films with their musical accompaniment since Sayles set out directing in 1980 with Secaucus 7 - which Daring was providing legal work for before Sayles had heard any of his music. Ever since, the two have worked closely together, and nearly everything Sayles has done has been provided with a Mason Daring score. For The Secret of Roan Inish a magical Irish flavour is maintained by a wide diversity of instruments which seem to emanate from the ground itself in the form of violins, drums, flutes and quite often vocals which are performed by Irish musician Maire Breatnach and Eileen Loughanne. Loughanne's give especial other-worldliness to the Selkie legend scenes with Susan Lynch. I'd credit Daring's score with complimenting Wexler's work behind the camera and producing such a successful film that so many saw so much magic in. A lot of the music has an ancient quality to it, speaking of many generations and their history with the Irish landscape - it takes you to a place that is so much more at ease than most others, if not still challenging to forge a life in. Mason Daring was nominated for a Chicago Film Critics Association Award for his score, but was beaten out by Randy Newman and Toy Story.

The Secret of Roan Inish provides a kind of bridge between humans and nature, especially in relation to the seals which occupy the coastline and waters which we see throughout the film - they guide Coneelly family members to safety when their boats sink, and become directly related to the family through the marriage between Selkie and Coneelly. When the family leave the island, they take guardianship of young Jamie Coneelly and watch over him. They're beautiful creatures that I'd have liked to have seen even more of - although the robotic ones that poke their head out of the water to watch goings-on by humans do look just slightly unnatural, as do the mechanical seals sitting on rocks. They take up only a small amount of seal footage overall, with trained ones taking up the slack. If that were not challenging enough for the filmmakers here, they also had to deal with seagulls, creatures which are even more difficult to film. It all works out to the extent that John Sayles himself was able to edit together an easily digestible and magical tale that's easy to follow and does provide that connection between man and the wild.

Being presented from Fiona's point of view, this is a film that is best viewed through a child's eyes, or at least with kids. I can appreciate how well made this is, and certainly soak in it's atmosphere, but the story has at it's center a character who is child we're meant to relate to - and that left me behind. The more fantastic elements would be much more easy to digest as a child, especially as everything is being presented in a non-fantastical way. I can't imagine how seals could look after a human child, and raise him - so this was a children's story that I didn't feel a connection with, but one which someone younger really could. I rate this film as a balance between how well made I think it is, and how much I enjoyed it, and in that respect The Secret of Roan Inish comes off as a very well made film that I didn't get a great amount of narrative enjoyment from. I did very much like the fantasy/flashback scenes however, as they could exist apart from that narrative and could be as outlandish as they liked without needing me to believe that they were really happening. It would get a much higher rating if I were rating it objectively. I really admire what John Sayles and his crew have done here, transforming a children's novel into a magical, mystical film that I'm sure many people have fond memories of seeing over the years.