The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Has everyone decided which version of Apocalypse Now they're going to watch? I tried Redux a few years back but turned it off, so I'll either stick with watching the theatrical version again, or try the Final Cut.

Has everyone decided which version of Apocalypse Now they're going to watch? I tried Redux a few years back but turned it off, so I'll either stick with watching the theatrical version again, or try the Final Cut.
assuming theatrical is the shortest i'll be watching that

assuming theatrical is the shortest i'll be watching that
Same.

I've seen Redux and didn't think it added much. I've seen the theatrical cut twice. It's a film I respect but don't enjoy all that much.

Theatrical is already two and half hours long. No way am I watching Redux.

Same.

I've seen Redux and didn't think it added much. I've seen the theatrical cut twice. It's a film I respect but don't enjoy all that much.
apparently there's like 4 cuts of this??? i've always heard theatrical was the best cut anyway so that works out.

apparently there's like 4 cuts of this??? i've always heard theatrical was the best cut anyway so that works out.
I definitely prefer it over Redux, though Redux is the only time I got to see it (in any form) on the big screen.

I think I will go with the theatrical cut. I have the 3 disc blu ray edition, which has both the theatrical and the redux cut on it.

I always prefer the original theatrical cut as I always like it better than extended or final cuts, so that's what I'm going with.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I think I'll be going with the theatrical as well. If anyone has a link for it, please let me know. Not having much luck

If most everyone is watching the theatrical cut, I'll go with that one too. Final Cut is reportedly not as long as Redux, but I don't know anyone who has seen that version to confirm whether or not it's worth the extra time.

Speaking of rewatches, I just finished Jaws. Might get something written tonight, but I'm pretty tired even though it's not that late yet. It's been a really dark, dreary day which always makes me a little extra sleepy for some reason.

I think I'll be going with the theatrical as well. If anyone has a link for it, please let me know. Not having much luck
I had a hard time finding it too. But I did find it eventually and I'll send you a link.

For some reason, virtually every single version of Apocalypse Now I've come across online is the redux version. Due to that, I bought the theatrical version on Amazon yesterday.

Does it list the runtime on the back of the case? That'll probably tell you which version it is.
i just dug it out and it has both i guess but if i'm reading this right both versions are on both discs, split in two parts. man, dvd producers did not know what they were doing early on.

One Cut of the Dead (Shinichiro Ueda, 2017)
This film is the definition of set up and payoff. Personally, I'm not really into that sh*t and this film really, really makes you wait around for the payoff. So it kicks off with 40 minutes of insufferably boring one-take zombie stuff. Its bad on purpose but that can't work for 40 whole minutes. One-take is already the most boring way you could ever possibly shoot something, especially something that's supposed to have action and comedy probably the styles that need cuts the most. The only cool film to do the one-take gimmick was Russian Ark because it wasn't the type of film that needed the momentum and energy that you would typically get with cutting. Anyway this part sucks, like a lot. Then we get like 30 minutes of "movie about making a movie" type stuff with casting and rehearsals and whatnot. Also not really my thing (though Sion Sono got away with it a couple times) and there's nothing really engaging about this section of the film either. Then, after like 70 total minutes, we finally get the payoff. The crew making the film. This is the only part of the film that's even remotely enjoyable. It's got some fun moments, the human pyramid crane shot was v. cute, this part is nice. It was not worth sitting through the other parts of the film, but its nice. Doesn't help that the entire movie just looks awful too, lol. Just boring for the bulk of the runtime and a few smile worthy moments in the last 20.

I've decided to join. There are only a couple of films that feel like a chore, and most of the rewatches are something I've been planning to do anyway.

I picked this because I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it's been a rough year so far. I figured we could all use something heartwarming.
I had exactly the same... Wait, never mind

As far as I know at least one of you has seen my nomination (I assume he liked it). It's not mentioned too often here, so hopefully, it's something new for most. I'll let Ed do the proper announcement, though.

Jaws (1975)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw

Though I've seen parts of Jaws countless times, I couldn't remember the last time I actually sat down and watched the entire thing from start to finish. It didn't initially feel like a film I needed to revisit, but I'm really glad I did. Despite my familiarity with all the major story beats, I still found the whole thing thoroughly engrossing.

While the animatronic shark has aged much better over the years than CG typically does, it didn't look quite as realistic as I had remembered since my eyes kept getting drawn to edges of its mouth where it buckles unnaturally. It's still rather impressive though, and the film does use it very effectively. After hearing about behind-the-scenes issues with the shark, you also have to commend the amount of effort that went into getting that thing to function at all.

The performances are solid, and I had actually forgotten how compelling Robert Shaw's character becomes. I always considered Jaws to be a horror film without contest, but this time around I did finally see why a lot of people argue against it. I don't necessarily agree, but it's certainly more nuanced than I thought, especially since the tone and score shift significantly once the three men set out to find the shark.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaws.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	84426  

Just boring for the bulk of the runtime and a few smile worthy moments in the last 20.
I'll count this as a win since you didn't completely despite it.

Rob Schneider doesn't stand out much too me but I think that's a function of the role because he's good.
I've never heard anyone say they thought Rob Schneider was good.

(I'll see myself out now, lol)