The Assassination of Jesse James by...Robert Ford
Director

Andrew Dominik, 2007

Starring

Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell, Sam Shepard

Hint breakdown, before I bolt!

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Love is in the air (Brokeback Mountain is about love, obviously)
Big mountains it melts (Mountain in the title, and in the film landscape)
First we were friends (reference to both films cause it also applies to Jesse James and Robert Ford)
Then we were something else (...who also became something else later)

You saw him today
Tomorrow he will return (reference to Ang Lee showing up again)
Maybe shake your hand (reference to Robert Ford first being a friend...)
but against you he might turn (...then killing Jesse, I guess? Haven't seen it)

Let's keep this rhyme short
Cause other things are too long (reference to the long ass title)
Let people figure out
If what I did was wrong (a reference to what Robert Ford did by killing an outlaw, or what Ennis and Jack were doing, which some people saw as "wrong")
There you go...

When I come back, I'll do the pit stop and other stuff. Have fun with these two.

Despite generally quite liking the works of Ang Lee that I've seen I'm still yet to get around to Brokeback Mountain, no idea why but one day I surely will. I have seen The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford though and it's a very good looking fillum that was in contention for a spot on my ballot, albeit rather briefly. Somewhat surprised both aren't higher here tbh.

Seen: 30/50 (Own: 22/50)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
50. The School Of Rock (2003)
49. Hauru no ugoku shiro [Howl's Moving Castle] (2004)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain nor The Assassination of Jesse James and somehow I'm not interested.

Looking forward to step into Top 50...

Added a couple to my list. Was starting to get concerned. Quite a few so far that surprised me on being in this countdown.

My Ballot:  

Have seen so far: 27/ 51
Put on list for future viewing: 8
My list that ended up on the cutting room floor (dammit!): 4
Put on "meh" list : 13
Zero chance of ever watching: 7
1 Ptrs: seen 8

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Brokeback is super average IMO. I just don't understand the greatness people see in it. We knew it would show though so at least it's not top 50.

How I still haven't seen Jesse James is a mystery. I've started it a couple times but never got super far.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The desire to know what happens next is overwhelming and always wins in the end.
I will know. I'm thinking of making a top 50 prediction that will be 100% correct. Not the order, but the 50 films.

I will know. I'm thinking of making a top 50 prediction that will be 100% correct. Not the order, but the 50 films.
Faildict, errr I mean predict away I say!

50 spots remain, 67 films are still eligible from the previous Millennium list. Uh-oh.

Yep. Had to bolt after posting the reveals so I forgot to acknowledge this. You win the BIG PRIZE!!

A system of cells interlinked
No points.

TAOJJBTCRF is an absolutely amazing looking film, and I still think it should have pulled in the Oscar for cinematography, even though I do think There Will be Blood is right up there with its camera work. Deakins is THE MAN. Other than that it's a good film, but was never in contention for my list.

I've not seen Brokeback Mountain.

Seen both multiple times, voted for neither.

I like Brokeback Mountain. I think it's a solid movie and is important from a cultural standpoint, but I've never loved it and it was never really in consideration for my ballot.

I wanted to like The Assassination of Jesse James. It's a beautifully shot film and I was really in the mood for a Western when I watched it for the first time not long after it was released on DVD... but the constant narration and Casey Affleck's incessant whining completely destroyed any hope for me to enjoy it. I rewatched it awhile back for a HOF and my experience did not improve.

Seen 29/50

Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain was #76 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Andrew Dominik's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was #19 on that list as well as #20 on the MoFo Top 100 Westerns List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I thought that Brokeback Mountain was a bit leisurely-paced, but it was trying to tell a highly-dramatic story as anti-melodramatically as possible. It's a fine line to tread and I thought it did it quite movingly. The music and cinematography are good and if you're one of those obstinate guys who thinks that Heath Ledger can't act, check this to disprove that (and forget making jokes about his voice). Oh yeah, both women go topless for all the other guys who are afraid to watch the movie.

I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford thrice, each time with a different set of people. Most of them liked it well-enough, and my brother was probably the most impressed with it. However, every single person needed me to explain to them, at various points, who some of the supporting characters were and where they were supposed to be at. When my scriptwriter brother needs me to explain to him who is staying with whose relations and why, I think that there are definitely flaws in the storytelling, especially when you have a 160 minute movie where you have plenty of time to make plot points clear.

Now, I understand that some people find "plot" to be a dirty word. In the case of this film, I'll admit that writer/director Dominik was looking for atmosphere and tone, and I believe he produced his desired effect. I just don't understand why someone would make essentially an arthouse western, with what I consider stilted performances and dialogue, make it go on for far too long, and then try to pass it off as a psychologically-deep, naturalistic film. Well, maybe I do; Michael Cimino did it with Heaven's Gate, but I find Heaven's Gate to be the better of the two films.

Before I go on sounding like the curmudgeon I am, I will say that I was impressed with the visuals. Overall, I prefer Deakins' work in No Country For Old Men, but the shot of the train holdup at night, with Jesse James standing in front of it, and the exterior light casting enormous shadows from the train onto the forest is as impressive an individual visual scene as I've seen. The score is good, and parts of the narration are interesting, although the dryness makes me find it less special than it was probably intended to be. There are enough good things here for me to give it a qualified recommendation. I don't feel that I wasted eight hours watching it three times. I admire it more than I did the first time, but I don't like it any more. My rating:

As far as the actors and characters go, I'd say that over the course of three viewings, I've warmed to Affleck's performance, but his character still comes across as an underdeveloped cipher who I know little more about at the end of the film than I do when he first opened his mouth. On the other hand, I enjoyed Brad Pitt as a psycho, and I did feel the intelligence behind his character. He seemed all too real to me. I just would have thought that he'd squash Bob Ford like a bug. I even thought Sam Shepard's Frank James should have trusted his judgment and wasted Robert Ford in their introductory scene. Oh yeah, what the heck happened to Frank James? He's certainly a significant character, and then he just disappears. Oh well, I guess Jesse wasn't as smart as he seemed without his big brother. Even though Sam Rockwell also seems a bit affected as Charlie Ford, he is at least recognizable as a real character, but that's because he's actually given lines which someone might actually say in real life.

The film was open to being so ironic about how the characters were in real life compared to how they are depicted in folklore. To me, that would be the reason to make another Jesse James film, but I don't feel the irony here. I just feel a director unintentionally draining the life out of his material with method acting and what seems to be method directing. That is my main critique of this film. For all the artistry, skill, beauty and originality on display, it feels to me like looking at a butterfly collection. It's all very lifeless. Oops, the curmudgeon has resurfaced.

It's tough for me to say that Andrew Dominik is "method directing" since this is only his second film. It may have made more sense if I waited for his next film to see if I could determine a pattern. To tell you the truth, I've never said or written that phrase before in my life, but as I thought that some of the performances seemed to use the Method, I started trying to find a way to describe his way of telling this story.

Method Acting involves the actors using personal experiences in (sometimes) similar situations to draw out the emotions of the character they are playing. It also sometimes includes things which seem so personal that the actor/character occasionally seems to become disconnected from the other actors/characters around them. Brando was probably the best Method Actor I know of, but needless to say, he is infamous for some eccentric performances.

Watching The Ass of JJ, I was struck by how original the direction was. I can accept that this will appeal to many who see the film. I was trying to get inside Dominik's head to determine why he made all the choices he did, in both script and direction. I could see a touchstone in the works of Terrence Malick, but since I'm more used to Malick, I find his work, rightly or wrongly, to be be more true to himself. So then, I decided that Dominik made this film for a very deep-rooted personal reason which I'm not sure that I could fully grasp. Was he trying to place himself in the actual times of Jesse James and thus transport viewers to a more-relaxed, simpler world where things would "just seem slower"? It certainly seemed a possibility and a worthy endeavor.

Or was Dominik just trying to create a revisionist western along the lines of Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller? I wasn't sure if he was making an homage or a personal statement. However, as the film progressed, I started to find the presentation more eccentric rather than less so. This made me understand that he believed in the courage of his convictions, but perhaps his Method in depicting them was to go so far within himself that when they're projected onto the screen, he may have disconnected himself from at least this viewer. Utter BS, I admit, but it's a decent rationalization for inventing a phrase to support one's opinion. Now that I've used it, I can think of some more possible Method directors, both good and not-so-good. But I think that's going even more off-topic, or does that really mean eccentric, on my part? Have I become a Method reviewer? The horror...

Reply to Topic