The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I’m terrible at this game but first to come to mind for me was

WARNING: "Hint" spoilers below
Hangover

A system of cells interlinked
I liked The Descent. Watching the women band together (for the most part) without the help of men was empowering and fascinating.
But...

WARNING: "The Descent" spoilers below
Do they really band together in an empowered way? Once they get to the cave, things unravel and you have a series of events that completely decimates the group. Juno sleeps with one woman's husband, tricks them all into going into uncharted caves, and then ends up killing one of the woman when she chops her neck with a climbing axe in a fit of savage blood lust, albeit while battling subterranean creatures...

All the girls end up dead, except for one, who ends up trapped and mad in a purgatory, cackling manically while she thinks she is having birthday cake with her dead child.

I'll admit, the hint flat out stumped me this time.

Watched The Descent last night. Damn. Shoulda watched it on my TV with the lights out instead of on my phone. It legit got me excited. The characters were occasionally flat, and the genre switch from cave exploration to monster movie felt a little weird, but that didn't stop it from being seriously scary.

But...

WARNING: "The Descent" spoilers below
Do they really band together in an empowered way? Once they get to the cave, things unravel and you have a series of events that completely decimates the group. Juno sleeps with one woman's husband, tricks them all into going into uncharted caves, and then ends up killing one of the woman when she chops her neck with a climbing axe in a fit of savage blood lust, albeit while battling subterranean creatures...

All the girls end up dead, except for one, who ends up trapped and mad in a purgatory, cackling manically while she thinks she is having birthday cake with her dead child.
Those are valid points, but I do see the empowerment in terms that they are capable women, all of them able to hold their own in many ways against the environment and against the creatures. They just happen to be in an impossible situation.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Reveals in a minute...

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

82 points, 5 lists
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
Director

Cristi Puiu, 2005

Starring

Ioan Fiscuteanu, Luminița Gheorghiu, Doru Ana, Monica Bîrlădeanu

82 points, 8 lists
Battle Royale
Director

Kinji Fukasaku, 2000

Starring

Tatsuya Fujiwara, Aki Maeda, Takeshi Kitano, Tarō Yamamoto

Ok, this two are part of yet another 3-way tie (the last 3-way tie, but not the last tie), so I kinda messed up half of the hint. But it's a hint, so what the heck...

Anyway...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Hey, buddy. I don't feel well. (part of this has to do with the ill man in Lazarescu)
Don't wanna end up in a trunk
or driving around on my way to hell. (In that film, they drive around looking for a hospital to treat him)

Hey, buddy. Help me with the job.
Don't want to leus this opportunity ("Leus" is the currency of Romania, setting of Lazarescu)
To hang out with the famous and snob.
The other lines all have to do with tomorrow's first entry (#76), so there's that.

I haven't seen first, but Battle Royale was #18 on my ballot. It's a sci-fi dystopia that makes zero sense, but the film is super fun. Over the top violence, Kitano being himself, and a concept that's ruined video games for the unforeseeable future. Very Japanese film.

Seen: 10/24

My Ballot:
5. Watchmen (2009) [#87]
8. The Descent (2005) [#80]
18. Battle Royale (2000) [#77]
25. Harry Brown (2009) [1-pointer]

Both directors I'm not yet familiar with. It's Pride and Prejudice today! (Admits to seiing Hunger Games and not getting deeply into the type of plot and hasn't seen the sequels or Battle Royale as a result.

I haven't seen The Death of Mister Lazarescu, but @SpelingError has spoken very highly of it, and has recommended it to me a couple of times.

As for Battle Royale, I saw it about a year or two ago and liked it, but wasn't blown away by it. It's a good film.

Obviously, none of them made my list...

Seen: 13/24

My ballot:  

Reply to Topic