26th Hall of Fame

Tools    

It's an expression to describe something that has poor camera quality.
Thanks, that actually came across in context but I can’t believe I have never come across the expression before.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ok 2023 I'll pick stuff that makes Daisies look like Jaws.
In the true spirit of the hall of fame for the next one I will be nominating Wally Pipp
I thought Daisies was great. Themroc was really bad, in my opinion. For the next hall I’m recommending Manos the Hands of Fate. 😉
Sonic the Hedgehog for me
It's an Ed Wood jr. nom for me next time
This is gonna be the BEST HoF EVER!!!

I would like to see a potato shot in a movie
Ta daaaa

From what I've heard it's a kind of Agatha Christie crime film shot in a Brian DePalma style.

Of course, they haven't begun shooting and this is merely a concept/design photo. It appears they're still looking for funding but I have heard that both Heinz and Hunts have officially helped with some of the backings.

Giving a Toast can, and will, be a bit of an awkward tightrope walk no matter what Miss Manners says

Festen aka The Celebration (1998)

Opening with a Dogme 95 Certificate that reminded me of similar certificates in very early films in the thirties and thereabouts, I experienced this claustrophobic, slightly out-of-focus story of a dysfunctional family from Hell of cruel f@ckers and the messed up reasons for their abhorrent behavior.

This is no Hollywood, Americanized social commentary where everyone sits in therapy or orchestrates a similar setting for all to share emotions, tears, and hugs. F@ck that.
This is a family get-together in Germany for the father's sixtieth birthday and one sibling's suicide the previous year. Sh#t gets exposed to the light of day and, people react in various amounts of denial, refusal to acknowledge, or downright violence.

A dark, complicated, and difficult watch that I have to admit kept me very engaged as it all erupted and the darkness beneath the rich veneer tore itself to the surface.
If not for it being a difficult watch, I could easily see this again though it would not be by my own doing.
I'm not a fan of handheld filming though I admit it can fit as a format, and it does, very much, here. Those intimate shots that appear as home movie quality really capture the awkward and dangerously brewing moments as everyone attempts to politely discuss whether the soup is Lobster, Salmon, or possibly Tomato. Instead of the sh#t-storm that rages from a suppressed obscenity that transpired decades previously.
The fact that this WASN'T a "let's talk about how we feel" but a visceral gut-reaction of a more realistic, authentic outrage boiling over the polite observations of such a setting gave a more resounding gravitas to all of it. One that reverberates a day after viewing it and will most likely for some time after.

You all have three days to finish this thread. Here's where everyone stands as of now:

@jiraffejustin (10/12)
@seanc (10/12)
@Siddon (11/12)
@Wyldesyde19 (10/12)

*BooBoo probably won't finish this HoF at this point, so I didn't mention him/her.

You all have three days to finish this thread. Here's where everyone stands as of now:

@jiraffejustin (10/12)
@seanc (10/12)
@Siddon (11/12)
@Wyldesyde19 (10/12)

*BooBoo probably won't finish this HoF at this point, so I didn't mention him/her.
Is it right that I feel a little sad NOT to be on the list of mentions anymore?

Is it right that I feel a little sad NOT to be on the list of mentions anymore?
To cheer you up, I had Yoda delete all your reviews in this thread. That way, you have to start this HoF all over again.

The trick is not minding
The Wizard of Oz

There’s something so charming about this film. The music, the dialogue, the characters. Seeing it for a second time, I paid more attention to the scenes.
Switching from sepia tone to color. The little actions by each character. Like Dorothy trying to kick open the door to the storm shelter. The Cowardly Lion and the way he tries to bully them with his fists. “Put ‘em up!”

The songs are the most memorable part, as well as they’re catchy but so much in an annoying way. And of course…there is Garland.
Judy. Garland. Fresh faced and innocent looking, she embodies Dorothy. She is Dorothy. Every little moment she is on screen we can’t help but root for her. It’s a shame Garland never lived this part down, and never did find that rainbow in real life. She would die at age 47 to an accidental overdose. It was an unhappy life, as we have been told.

But even so, we’ll always have Dorothy. And in this role, Garland will live on.

Let the night air cool you off
I just finished episode one of Ten Little.. And Then There Were None.... So far it has been pretty boring and feels very run of the mill. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of subtlety. The music is just over everything and as obvious as possible. Most of what @ueno_station54 said about the whole thing is ringing true for me in the first episode. I am trooper, so I will keep going, but if it was a choice left to me, I would not. There aren't any interesting subplots or characters or visual tricks or anything to stand out in the modern tv landscape. Maybe they will do stuff around the island in later episodes where we can get some cool landscape shots or something, but the sets are pretty uninspired so far. I don't mean to be so negative, but comparing this to the rest of the field is no comparison. Every film I've watched for this hall of fame has given me something interesting, so far, this has not.

And I swear every time they say soldiers, I know how the original actually went and it's more than a little distracting to be thinking about that instead.. of well, you know, anything else.