MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Let the Right One In was amazing when I saw it in theatres and it held up well enough when I re-watched it last year. It did not make my list.

The Evil Dead was my #12. My least favourite of the three (and one I confirmed with a recent re-watch), but I can't deny its elemental rawness.

Evil Dead was number 15 on my list. I do not think I saw it in theaters, but I do remember watching it with my Mom and when things started going bat **** crazy she actually said WTF. She does not swear usually and it made me laugh. It was a wild ride (still is) of a movie and I was glued to the tv while watching. Good to see it place fairly high up.

Let The Right One In was my #25. My favorite vampire movie with Near Dark. Great stuff

Terrific flick brimming over with unusual creativity, robust doses of dark laughs, and gruesome gore aplenty. Five weekender students from Michigan State University drive to the mountains in Tennessee to spend some time together at an old cabin. They're beset by strange circumstances as night falls, resulting in the discovery of an arcane Sumerian book, provoking forces which roam the forest and dark bowers of man's domain, which sets loose a bevy of spirits on the weekenders themselves. Thus attaining the standing of a new style of movie, distinguished by an agonizing filming process that shell-shocked the cast. (Bruce Campbell, Ellen Sandweiss, Richard DeManincor, Betsy Baker & Theresa Tilly) Joins the fashionable, dangerous company of X-rated films, along with such nasties as ‘I Spit on your Grave’, and ‘Cannibal Holocaust’, and the frat with rugged creative forces such as ‘Fritz the Cat’, ‘A Clockwork Orange’, ‘Last Tango in Paris’, and the iconic ‘Midnight Cowboy’. By the early 1990s, the X-rating was set aside, and replaced with the NC-17 rating in America, and the 18 rating in Britain. The film also upholds a steadfast link, through its stop-frame animation, with the mystically creative magic of independent, low budget filmmaking. Pleased @TheUsualSuspect helped get us on a stable horror standing, with twelve classics remaining. Re-watched the film in the early-on phase of promoting our new list to the forum in winter 2018, where it placed #9 as I packed up my choices.

Nostromo Top 25 Horror Flicks

24. Deep Red (1975)
23. Scream (1996)
14. Zombieland (2009)
13. Friday The 13th Part III (1982)
11. Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931)
9. The Evil Dead (1981)
2. Friday The 13th (1980)

Music by Joseph LoDuca

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Evil Dead.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	53850   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Evil Dead 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	53851  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not a fan of werewolf movies, but An American Werewolf In London is a very good movie. It might have even made my list if it weren't just too graphic for me. Personally, I prefer David Naughton in the old Dr. Pepper commercials. He even signed a can of Dr. Pepper for me when I met him at a convention a few years ago.

I still remember when I first saw Poltergeist in the theater. My friend and I used to take turns each week picking a movie, and this movie was her pick. I didn't want to go because I thought I was going to hate it, but even though it scared the he!! out of me, I ended up loving the movie. There are a few scenes that are a bit too graphic for me, but in this case, the movie is just too good for that to keep it off my list. In fact, this movie is so good that it was #1 on my list.

I haven't seen Let The Right One In.

I watched The Evil Dead for this countdown, and it was okay, but it just isn't my type of movie.

My list so far:
1) Poltergeist (1982)
3) Wait Until Dark (1967)
4) The Invisible Man (1933)
5) A Quiet Place (2018)
15) Gremlins (1984)
20) The Haunting (1963)
25) Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical (TV Movie - 2001)

I was lukewarm on Let the Right One In when I first saw it, but I recently rewatched it for the 17th Hall of Fame and definitely appreciated it a lot more the second time. My main problem with the film remained the same however, which is that I just don't care for the relationship between the two main characters. A heavier focus on the horror elements, or an exploration of Eli's identity would've made the film more interesting to me.

The Evil Dead was the first film I ever watched with the director's commentary track. I've bought multiple copies of the film over the years, though I don't have that sweet Necronomicon edition. I saw it at a convention once, but when I swung back around the vendor floor to buy it, someone had beaten me to it . The film was on my list at #5.

Seen: 69/88
My List: 13

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
05. Evil Dead (1981) - #13
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
09. The Innocents (1961) - #19
11. The Descent (2005) - #40
12. Saw (2004) - #32
13. The Conjuring (2013) - #29
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
21. Videodrome (1983) - #42
22. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - #25
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Let the Right One In was my #3, I'm really pleased to see it so high up on this list. The 80s small town Swedish setting of the film is like a character in itself. There's something unsettling about the relationships between the characters as much as the blood drenched murders: bullying, distance, unhealthy dependencies, desire for revenge. It's a thoughtful and haunting film which is beautifully filmed.

4. The Wicker Man (#37)

7. Possession (#33)

11. Ringu (#31)
12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

19. Poltergeist (#15)
20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Birds (#41)
22. Dawn of the Dead (#20)
23 .Night of the Living Dead (#17)
24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Scream (18), The Evil Dead (16) and Poltergeist (10) all top 25 for me.

Scream was a breath of fresh air when it was released. The slasher genre was dead and Scream gave it life. That's either good or bad depending on how much you like the butchering of teenagers but I love em.

The Evil Dead was fantastic. Best of the series by far as I'm not much of a fan of Raimi's humor although I do like Bruce Campbell.

Poltergeist cracks my top 10. This is more because of how it was on first viewing as an 8-9 year old kid - it terrified me. Robbie was the character I related to the most and he gets seriously overlooked when discussing this movie. Kid was almost eaten by a tree, eaten by a hole in the wall and strangled by a stuffed clown. If you want a movie to scare the crap out of your kids then this is the best there is.

Seen 67
So Far:
6. The Haunting #43
7. The Descent #40
8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - A Big Fat DNP
10. Poltergeist #13
12. The Wailing #69
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
16. The Evil Dead #13
18. Scream #18
19. Carrie #45
20. Event Horizon #49
23. Martyrs #47
24. The Omen #35

A system of cells interlinked
I had The Evil Dead at #19. Maybe it should have been higher... I haven't watched it in some time, but I wanted to make sure it ended up with some points from me, and 19 is where it ended up. I am due for another viewing on that one soon.

Poltergeist sort of slipped my mind, as I haven't seen it in a long time. Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

I like Scream, but it wasn't in the running for my list.

An American Werewolf in London, not on my list but a good film, and you guys forgot the best part

Sadly, you didn't post the best pic you could've. Though it'd have probably come down pretty quickly.

I had An American Werewolf In London at #5 on my list. It's another horror film which is also on my 100 and so was a definite for this list. It's also another horror which I saw and loved from a young age (9 or 10) and have seen countless times. When I heard about the Thriller video, the first thing I was told about it was that it was 'made by the American Werewolf' guy and I had to get a copy. The Making Of Thriller was probably the film which got me interested in film as something beyond disposable entertainment.

As for the film itself, I know it's intentionally funny, but I really don't think of this as a horror comedy and never have. It's a straight up horror film which was has some intentional jokes and light moments. I don't think it's the same thing. But that's me. Since when did I see things the same way as most people? It's probably the best soundtrack of any horror film, too.

Poltergeist might've been in the reckoning for my list had I watched it recently. I like it quite a bit and am usually surprised at how 'scary' it is when I see it.

I've only seen Let The Right One In twice, I think, but I really liked it both times. Sadly both times were 10 years ago and it wasn't something I considered.

The Evil Dead is probably the best of the trilogy but, again, it's a been a long time since I saw it and as it wasn't available over here for a good few years, I've not seen it anything like as much as I probably would've had it been around in my youth.

Happily standing in defiance of the criticism I've noticed for our next film, which is that it's "dated," as I notice this kind of flawed reasoning in my daily life. Easy and smooth modern technology isn't always the most satisfying. For example, digital music is easy to access, yet it's a lot less gratifying than walking into a hidden surviving music store that sells cd's, cassettes, and vinyl records. The filmmaking talent on display here weren't stuck at a computer designing polished digital effects, instead they threw their creative energy at hands-on innovation. In other words, they had a good time. Booby traps, guys on garage roofs in Venice, California setting up marionetting, a bathtub scene with an entire pool of water hidden underneath, entire rotating sets for savage horror sequences. How refreshingly raw and tangible, like, oh, I don't know, walking into a music store, buying a cassette which I can hold in my hand, injecting it in my portable tape player, and watching the wheels spin. I'm in love. Instead of digital downloaded literal physical emptiness.

"Even though I've had lots and lots and lots of people tell me 'you gave me nightmares,' for years, they always have a smile on their face."
-Wes Craven

The man who made "The Last House On The Left" (1972) and "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977) imparts that his idea of Elm Street is of pure Americana. The school he taught at before he jumped ship out of academic teaching was Clarkson College of Technology next to Elm Street in Potsdam, New York. The route where President Kennedy was assassinated was also Elm Street. Gives you a sense of the scope of Craven's vision. His script for the film was passed over by Hollywood for three years, until a company got onboard called New Line Cinema, started out of owner Bob Shaye's trunk. Their best hits were cult films such as "Pink Flamingos" (1972) and "Reefer Madness" (1973). This film features a sharply played cast of friends led by Nancy, a legitimate "girl next door," a survivor girl. Her friends are Tina, the victim of a broken home, Rod Lane, a cocky womanizer with a big ego, and Glen, a jock played by Johnny Depp in his first movie role who previously had been involved trying to start a band in Los Angeles while the 80s hair metal rage was in FULL SLASH. Originally, Charlie Sheen wanted the role, yet he demanded $3,000 a week and New Line didn't have the wallet to shell out the bucks. Craven's daughter encouraged him to choose Depp, declaring, "Dad, he's beautiful."

Actor Johnny Depp about his first ever film role as Glen

David Werner was originally cast for the role of Fred Krueger, though at the last minute he had a prior commitment and couldn't commit to their timeframe. That's when Robert Englund entered the picture, fresh off the mini-series "V" (1984). In his interview for the role with Craven, Englund expected to meet the Prince of Darkness, but instead found himself in front of the Ralph Lauren attired Wes Craven, who thought Englund to be semi-geeky and much younger than he was looking for. Those gathered in the studio whispered, "They want him to play Freddy?" David Miller, fresh off the zombie make-up effects in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video with John Landis, helmed the makeup effects of Freddy Krueger, which he built out of pepperoni pizza using the inspiration of real burn victims for reference. Don't be confused, Rick Baker from "An American Werewolf in London" (1981) led the werewolf effects for Thriller, while David Miller crafted the look of the zombies, take notes. Robert Englund confirms that he recognized the power of the Freddy silhouette and shadow, and made conscious choices to physicalize him a lot, using the inspiration of Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu, and Jimmy Cagney for his spread-legged strong gangster stance.

Robert Englund in his hit mini-series "V" (1984), before being cast as Krueger

The rotating room, inspired by Fred Astaire's "Royal Wedding" (1951) as he dances on the roof and the walls, was the creative source for the most brutal scene in the film when Tina is dragged up the walls and down the walls in a savage horror sequence in a highly disorienting set for cast and crew which was utilized again by Christopher Nolan in his film about dreams, "Inception" (2010). When A Nightmare On Elm Street was released on November 9th, 1984, the studio waited fearfully as a box office faceplant could have destroyed New Line Cinema. Instead, film crowds lined up in droves. The formerly renegade, independent film company grew into a Hollywood powerhouse that produced hundreds of box office heavyweights, including "The Lord Of The Rings" which won seventeen Academy Awards. Worth mentioning for film relevance scale, and also because my older brother regards those films closely.

New Line Cinema. The House That Freddy Built. Owned by Bob Shaye, who agreed to partner with Wes Craven and Robert Englund, the rockstar of boogeymen, until Shaye was forced out by corporate political BS. Freddy Krueger is richer than Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees, because Freddy's series has higher production values and more importantly his movies made more money too. While Michael is bound to Haddonfield and Jason to Crystal Lake, Freddy roams the limitless space of Dreams and Imagination, freeing up artists and filmmakers to open up their unlimited visual minds. The Elm Street films are built with an energy of sheer creative enthusiasm, completing The American Dream. Where the best ideas are valued and an attitude of shared creative excitement wins. Creative forces. Ideally, the high voters would be the ones presenting their films, rather than one set-in-stone Host. Authentic creative forces, I know that's what pulls me. Let's kick this MoFo's ass all over Dreamland.

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
Runtime: 1 Hr 31 Mins
Production Company: New Line Cinema
Distributed by New Line Cinema
Production Budget: $1,800,000
Box Office: $25,500,000
Eighteen Votes
273 Points: (25, 25, 23, 23, 22, 22, 18, 17, 16, 16, 15, 13, 10, 9, 8, 6, 4, 1)
High Voter: @Nostromo87 , @honeykid

Terror In The Tub by Charles Bernstein
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depp.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	53873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Englund V.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	53874   Click image for larger version

Name:	ANightmareOnElmStreet12.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	53881  

Worst thing ever.

For karma's sake. And so I can punch myself before @mark f does.

A Nightmare on Elm Street has never been in the upper echelon of my horror favorites, but it is awesome and deserving of its high placement.

Nightmare on Elm Street was my #17.
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Nosferatu (original)
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
17. Nightmare on Elm Street
19. Saw
20. Scream
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
23. Repulsion
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Worst thing ever.

For karma's sake. And so I can punch myself before @mark f does.
Whatever that's supposed to mean, I'll punch you just for fun. Elm Street is a very good film - Craven's best - but I gave my points elsewhere.

Whatever that's supposed to mean, I'll punch you just for fun. Elm Street is a very good film - Craven's best - but I gave my points elsewhere.
That's entirely how I meant it too, in good fun. I did say that to Gremlins, your favorite horror movie.

From the few slashers I've seen, this is easily the best. I love that the film revoves around dreams. And for a slasher movie, this also feels like a monster / haunted house movie.

While A Nightmare on Elm Street is Wes Craven's best film and pretty good for a teen slasher it's not even close to making my list. I did like it a lot more when I was a kid and even today it's one of the few teen slashers I don't hate. Never even considered voting though.

Seen: 78/89