The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Both of these films are ones I have seen countless times in my youth and Yankee Doodle Dandy nearly made it on my list.
It's been a while seen I've seen either and would be curious to see how I enjoy them on a rewatch.

Seen: 21/36

My List:
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

I've seen about 10/15 of the films so far, but none from my list!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yankee Doodle Dandy was my #13. I'm happy to see some of my movies show up, but I certainly think they're too low. James Cagney won a well-deserved Best Actor Oscar playing songwriter George M. Cohan, and there are plenty of other great performances as well as numerous renditions of Cohan's classics. Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein was one of my favorites as a kid, and it's still my fave A&C along with The Time of Their Lives.

Seen - 36/36
My List
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)

Yankee Doodle Dandy, yeah another musical made it Not much more to say as I only seen it once, like 10 years ago. I remember liking it and have been meaning to get back to it. And yes Cagney can dance!

A&C Meet Frankenstein was pretty high on my list. The Time of Their Lives is my favorite from them though. I hope it shows, but I'm doubtful. I love YDD too.

Also cool to see Meshes... and Nightmare Alley get a place. Two I really want to revisit soon.

Yankee Doodle Dandy was a big surprise for me and would have been in my top 35.

I also had Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein marked down as a contender but It's been too long since I last watched it.

The Suspect, All the King's Men, and Sullivan's Travels were all very good.

I have not seen Meshes in the Afternoon yet.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yay! I got a twofer!

James Cagney should have done more musicals. He was amazing in Yankee Doodle Dandy. It was #3 on my list. I'm glad it made the countdown, but it deserves to be much higher.

I used to watch Abbott and Costello movies every weekend when I was younger, and there were several of their movies that I considered for my list. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of my favorites of their movies, and it was #11 on my list. A couple of my other favorite Abbott and Costello movies are Who Done It? (1942) and The Time of Their Lives (1946).

Like mark f and gbgoodies, I love Abbott & Costello and the same movies the best, including the one that came in at #66, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Time of Their Lives (one of the few where Costello got it over on Abbott!), Who Done It?, and another one not mentioned Hold That Ghost. I have "Meet Frankenstein" on DVD but I need to get the other three---such good fun. "Meet Frankenstein" was on my short-list but just missed out (how many times have I said that? There are just so many great movies from the 40's!).

Yay! Yankee Doodle Dandy was #6 on my list and I absolutely love it! Great cast, great songs, and best of all, Jimmy Cagney hoofing it up. By the way, gbgoodies, I've been noticing your avatar for a while, so I figure this one would show up on your list.

So that's my #6 at #66.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Like mark f and gbgoodies, I love Abbott & Costello and the same movies the best, including the one that came in at #66, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Time of Their Lives (one of the few where Costello got it over on Abbott!), Who Done It?, and another one not mentioned Hold That Ghost. I have "Meet Frankenstein" on DVD but I need to get the other three---such good fun. "Meet Frankenstein" was on my short-list but just missed out (how many times have I said that? There are just so many great movies from the 40's!).

If you're trying to complete your Abbott & Costello DVD collection, there are several "Best of" DVD sets that are available, and they're pretty cheap. (I think they're around $20 - $25 on Amazon for 6 - 8 movies per set.)

Yay! Yankee Doodle Dandy was #6 on my list and I absolutely love it! Great cast, great songs, and best of all, Jimmy Cagney hoofing it up. By the way, gbgoodies, I've been noticing your avatar for a while, so I figure this one would show up on your list.

So that's my #6 at #66.
I think Yankee Doodle Dandy probably would have been higher if it was nominated in one of the HoFs.

I was trying to decide what to use as my avatar around the time this countdown started, and I doubted that it was a secret to anyone who knows me that it would be on my list, so I didn't think the avatar was a spoiler.

I'm actually planning on watching Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein for the board Halloween project.

All The Kings Men, I haven't watched in years but it was one of the few classics Blockbuster had I rented it and it was one of those movies that made me fall in love with old movies.

Black Narcissus, was a movie I saw years later working through The Criterion Collection it was just one of the most beautiful movies I had seen from that era.

Having seen 27 of the films lists, 4 of them are 5 star movies two of where in the final five I had to cut. To Be or Not to Be was the only movie I saw that's been ranked and I didn't particularly love.

To Be or Not to Be

Scarlet Street

Nightmare Alley

Now Voyager

The Univited

Blithe Spirit

Rome Open City

Suspicion

Postman Always Rings Twice

Kiss of Death

Naked City

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde

The Letter

Detour

Magnificint Ambersons

Life Boat

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Sullivan's Travels

Ride the Pink Horse

Key Largo

Great Expectations

Education for Death

Jane Eyre

A Letter to Three Wives

25 The Spiral Staircase

18 All The Kings Men

9 Black Narcissus

3 Le Corbeau

Gb, I wasn't suggesting your avatar was a spoiler, just that I would have been disappointed if, having that as an avatar, you didn't have it on your list.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Best-Of A&B sets. May invest one day.

Two I'm glad made the list as both Yankee Doodle Dandy and Abbott n Costello Meet Frankenstein are good ones but I'd have needed to rewatch them along with a whole host of others in order to rank things fairly and as such sadly neither made my list

Faildictions:
64. Dead Reckoning
63. Pinky

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yankee Doodle Dandy has been on my watchlist for a while, but I haven't managed to get hold of it. Haven't seen any Abbot and Costello movies.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~64~

Stray Dog

Director: Akira Kurosawa
Producer: Sojiro Motoki
Distributor: Toho

74 Points - 6 Lists
(5th; 8th; 12th; 14th; 19th; 24th)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~63~

Director: Ernst Lubitsch
Producer: Ernst Lubitsch
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

75 Points - 6 Lists
(4th; 6th; 16th-2x; 17th; 22nd)

Stray Dog is a very good Kurasawa movie and a film Noir. It however was not on my list since I had to make room for other films. I got 2 40's Kurosawa flicks on my list, hopefully they will show.