14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

All this buzz about Contratiempo means its probably going to be my next watch too

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

gonna have to move Contratiempo up to the front so I can read these reviews lol
I even had to stop at CR's first paragraph - taking his advice to go in blind.
I'm going to watch that tonight if my wife will watch it with me. I might even watch it if she doesn't want to watch it.
All this buzz about Contratiempo means its probably going to be my next watch too
It's great when a lot of us watch the same movie, around the same time...it really gets the conversion going. Hopefully more people will watch Contratiempo so they can join in on the convo

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Where can I see Contrampienio'/?>
like Cosmic mentioned, you can look for The Invisible Guest which is on Netflix right now. You can even type in Contrampienio and Invisible Guest shows up

Sorry, trying to get inot the swing of things here lol. So, ideally, we should all watch the same movies near the same time frame, ideally...I'm game for that. I can always borrow Mommy and Barton Fink again. I'll tune into what others are watching, and when/if I post thoughts about a film, I'll be careful with spoilers. I usually try not to get very plot involved in my reviews, anyway.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Contratiempo aka The Invisible Guest (2016)

Contratiempo is a suspenseful Spanish thriller with a plot that is bound to keep you interested towards the end. The film follows businessman Adrian (Mario Casas) who is accused of murdering his lover Laura (Barbara Lennie). He is then placed under house arrest where he explains to a defence attorney (Ana Wagener) the events that led to Laura's death. The film has a relatively short run time (1 hour 46 minutes) but in that time it manages to fill itself with plenty of suspense and twists in that time. The film was well directed and had quite slick and professional cinematography, making to good to look at. I enjoyed the acting from the main cast who I thought were quite good in their roles and wouldn't mind seeing them again in more films. Overall. this was an enjoyable thriller that I probably would recommend and wouldn't mind revisiting again sometime.

I'm probably going to get started on this with The Hurricane tonight, since I was able to swipe it from my mom's collection.

I've got Barton Fink, Empire of Passion, M, Mommy and Passengers on hold at the library and Night on Earth and Lone Star are listed as "in transit." I expect they'll probably be ready tomorrow and I'll plan on picking everything up tomorrow evening or Friday morning.

just finished watching Contratiempo, was VERY happy with this and a great start to this HoF.
Also just finished reading everyone's reviews and will be writing mine up, hopefully, tomorrow.
And like the others, if you haven't seen this yet, DO NOT read my review until you do.

With a lot of people going for Contratiempo first, maybe I should watch that after I write my M review. I meant to write it yesterday, but was too mentally tired in the small window I had. I'll be off work early today, so I should have plenty of time to write that, and possibly watch something new. Either Contratiempo or Passengers, I think.

The Hurricane (Norman Jewison, 1999)
Imdb

Date Watched: 8/23/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 14th Hall of Fame, rauldc14's nomination
Rewatch: Yes

Technically, I've seen this movie before - in 1999 while it was still in the theater - but I remembered virtually nothing about it.

I thought Denzel Washington gave a very strong performance, but Rubin Carter - or at least the Rubin Carter of the film - isn't exactly a likable guy. He may be innocent of the crimes for which he was accused - and he may have had good reason for being the way he was - but he had a sometimes violent temper (see the bar scene) and he's a racist, which makes him hard to really root for though the film does try to gloss over his negative traits.

And this issue I had with Carter could have been easily tempered by strong supporting characters. However, Lesra, Lisa, Sam, and Terry felt more like caricatures than characters and Della Pesca was no better. And I can't put too much blame for this on the actors playing those roles. They really weren't given much to work with.

Overall it was a decent if largely unimpressive film. The story was interesting enough, though I think the two and half hour runtime was unnecessary for what was presented, but I have to wonder just how much creative license was taken to make Carter out to be such a pure heroic victim of circumstance. It didn't feel like we got the whole story or anywhere close to it.

+

always enjoy your views, @Miss Vicky. Makes me curious if a little background story research would aid or hinder this movie before I watch it. Though I have stopped a movie to do just that, which, I have a feeling is how I'll go this route. It seems knowing TOO much about a subject does tend to cause agitation when watching something that is based on facts.

It is such a common scenario for a Hollywood movie to either glorify or scandalize any given person or situation. It says a lot more when you find a film that puts it all out there; the good, bad, the flaws and the strengths. It ain't easy and often times, going that path they get labeled for being wishy-washy or indecisive.

You remarked: "I have to wonder just how much creative license was taken to make Carter out to be such a pure heroic victim of circumstance." and the smart-ass cynic in me chuckles at the pattern of such a character being a common staple for a Denzel Washington role and the ungrounded theory of Denzel making that insistence when he signed on. Granted, he is DAMN good at it.

I plan on sticking this hof out but am going to write my thoughts in a journal because these viweing goals arent coordinated. Has this been attempted before? Im thinking it mustve been. Anyhow, ill throw my thoughts in once we all get caught up with similar titles.

I plan on sticking this hof out but am going to write my thoughts in a journal because these viweing goals arent coordinated. Has this been attempted before? Im thinking it mustve been. Anyhow, ill throw my thoughts in once we all get caught up with similar titles.
It's been suggested previously and more of a side thing, really, just to bolster discussion. If you see a few watching the same movie and you have the opportunity and the inclination; go for it. But nothing is written in stone so don't feel compelled and go at your own speed and watch what YOU feel like watching. In the end, its about fun and enjoying the movies being nominated and sharing our thoughts with one another.

M / M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (1931)
Dir. Fritz Lang
Starring: Peter Lorre, Otto Wernicke, Gustaf Gründgens

Fritz Lang was an incredibly talented and influential filmmaker, whose work helped to inspire and shape modern cinema as we know it. While it's easy to see the lasting impact that films like Metropolis had, particularly on the science fiction genre and special effects industry, the importance of films like M unfortunately tend to be lost on some audiences. At a time when many film makers in Europe thought that the use of sound was a gimmick that would cheapen the art of film, Lang created a brilliant work where the use of sound was not only a tool with which to create atmosphere and build tension, but it was also critically important to the film's plot.

Unlike films that used this new sound technology primarily to eliminate the need for title cards and produce films with a myriad of dialogue, sound in M is used to build a realistic world where noise exists outside of the camera's frame, and where leitmotifs, such as the whistling of “Hall of the Mountain King”, can convey meaning and emotion without having to rely on the spoken word at all. You can hear a lot of things in the film before you ever see them, which was practically unheard of at the time. Not only was Lang challenging the audience with questions regarding morality, but he was also pushing their perspective of how a film should look and sound.

Similarly, a dynamic, moving camera, which would typically only be used in large set pieces, follows characters and navigates scenes as though it were its own living part of the film. While the use of broken glass to reflect a characters' tormented soul was a common shot in German Expressionism, M puts a unique twist on that image, using multiple reflective surfaces (such as a set of knives in a store window) to emulate that look without being derivative. The camera produces a number of high angle shots as well, making characters seem small and powerless against the feeling of dread that is overtaking the city. This dark cityscape and hint of fatalism would later become typical of film noirs, so the world of M should feel familiar to fans of that genre.

While I am one of the many people who would likely choose Metropolis over M, I thoroughly believe that M should not go unnoticed. Even if you don't end up enjoying this thriller, I hope you can at least somewhat appreciate its significance in the history of cinema.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	M.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	33913