The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Forbidden Games

I didn’t like this movie as much as I thought I would.

I thought it started out good. I was really interested in it with the beginning and what became of the parents. And I liked how the two children met and how they became friends. And I really liked his character. I thought he was very good in the film. She was cute.

But other than that, I wasn’t too impressed, I am sorry to say. I hate it when movies have actors portray characters as if they are caricatures. And that is how the adults all seemed in here. Now, I don’t know if that is deliberate, or they were just that amateurish, but either way, I don’t care for it. It is ridiculous for the children to be better than the adults.

I had issues with the scene with the dog when it got shot. I really hope they trained it to do what it was doing because that was unpleasant to watch.

I didn’t think there was anything in particular about the story. And I didn’t care for the ending at all. Sometimes I really wish I knew what it was about an acclaimed movie that so many people will appreciate it, but I end up feeling somewhat cold.

I kind of liked the part about the crosses, but I kind of didn’t care, too.

I feel a little bad saying this, but the movie just didn’t turn out to be for me what it is for others. I’m sorry but that is just the way that it is.

The Broken Circle Breakdown

This movie.

That man.

I had issues with him from the beginning. While I understand that in the end he was a concerned, and then a grieving, father, he really got to me. I can’t stand any man that says something like “How did that happen?” when a woman ends up pregnant. I can’t stand it when men react the way that they do – like it is the end of everything for them – just forget that the woman is the one who will carry the child, and she is most likely going to be the one who is with the child the most. So, no, I didn’t care for him. And he got to me with his beliefs. Everyone is allowed to believe how they want. But I think it was really wrong of him to criticize her for believing what she did
WARNING: spoilers below
after the daughter died. If she wanted to believe it – even if everything in his being tells him that it isn’t true – he should’ve just let her believe it if it made her feel better. I also thought it was wrong of him to expect her to go see HIS mother on Mother’s Day when her daughter just died.
Also, why, with his daughter who isn’t healthy, would he allow her to keep touching that bird???
I’m just saying that I had issues with the guy.
And, yes, in the end he goes along with the way that she thinks when she is dying, but she had to die in order for him to be nice about that issue?

Anyway, I liked her. But I felt bad for her. I just really felt bad for her. And, in its own way, this was similar to Manchester By the Sea, but I actually cared about the mother in this one.

There was good acting all around. And I liked the music in it. I always get a kick out of non-American American hillbillies.

It is sad to see this story, and how it is told, to know how everything ends up. This was another one of those real downers for me. I really wish people wouldn’t keep nominating movies like this because I can watch films like this. I just don’t want to watch them all the time. They get kind of hard to deal with after a while. I don’t like to be depressed after every movie that I watch.

Good movie, though.

Captain Fantastic

I’d heard of this movie, but I honestly did not know anything about it. I really didn’t know what I was in for.

I really didn’t like being introduced to the family by the throat of a deer being cut, and I know it isn’t real, but it looks real, and I just don’t care for it.

One thing I am really getting tired of is this portrayal of home-schooled kids as being part of some kind of cult-like environment. I have known kids who have been home-schooled. They are nothing like this. Whenever I see a TV show with children whose schooling is that way, they always portray them as being “odd”, and I think that is unfair to the great number of home-schooled children who are nothing like that. They have legitimate school books and lessons. So to constantly portray them like this is really unfair. My big question with the home school part was how did he get into those colleges without having been enrolled in a legitimate home school? His father teaching him how to survive isn’t going to get him in. Especially the schools that they were. He never really specifically said how his mother helped him achieve that. So I was confused by it.

Now, I didn’t care for him. I had my obvious issues, but I found myself having bigger issues with the other people more. For one thing, these were HIS kids. His sister had no right to open up her mouth. Quite honestly, neither did his father-in-law. I am not a fan of the man, and how he raised his kids, but I didn’t care for their interference either.

I didn’t like the part saying everyone was fat. Unnecessary. And it is silly to have the old couple seem as if they were offended by seeing a nude man. I guarantee you that if my grandmother were around and she walked past him standing there like that, she would’ve said “Every man has one” before he got a chance to do so. And then she would’ve laughed at him later. I just think those two things were silly in there.

Now, despite those problems, I actually really liked this movie. It took a little while for me to get into it, but when I did, I really ended up liking it. I suppose, in the end, he was a better father, and man, than I gave him credit for, and I can see the kids wanting to be with him. I liked that he turned himself around and made himself a different kind of father in the end.

I enjoyed all the performances, and I can see this movie being one that I will probably make a point of watching again. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. And I was happy to have been able to have watched it.

Plus, this film gets bonus points for the unexpected performance of "Sweet Child O' Mine".

As for something else that I questioned
How could they not smell that gas? I figured that was why she got the headache, but gas from a stove smells. I have had it where the knob gets accidentally hit and that creates that smell.
WARNING: "The Marriage of Maria Braun" spoilers below
I think there was a door between the kitchen area and the main rooms. When she goes to light her cigarette the final time, as soon as she's out of frame you can see Hermann sniffing the air, and he realizes that there is gas in there. He's too late of course. If not an actual door to block the air, then perhaps her walking past allowed the fumes to reach the other room?

Also, are we to assume that it was suicide? I just wasn’t too sure about that either. My thing was that the last time she lit a cigarette, she definitely turned off the stove. She could not have been that absent-minded to just blow the flame out instead of turning it off.
WARNING: "Maria Braun" spoilers below
It's left open to interpretation. You can see it as being completely intentional, or just circumstances conspiring to forever keep the couple apart.

I didn’t like the part saying everyone was fat. Unnecessary.
I agree with that. I thought it was a really low blow, and kind of rolled my eyes at the film for it. I otherwise liked the social commentary in the film, which made those few lines really stick out. The joke wasn't even executed well.

WARNING: "The Marriage of Maria Braun" spoilers below
I think there was a door between the kitchen area and the main rooms. When she goes to light her cigarette the final time, as soon as she's out of frame you can see Hermann sniffing the air, and he realizes that there is gas in there. He's too late of course. If not an actual door to block the air, then perhaps her walking past allowed the fumes to reach the other room?

OK. Maybe I could see that keeping the scent from being too obvious. I honestly didn't even realize that he was sniffing the air - or else it just didn't register that he was doing it. I know he stood up and reacted to her right before it happened. And I was wondering if it was to tell her to NOT light her cigarette because he may have noticed the gas by then

I agree with that. I thought it was a really low blow, and kind of rolled my eyes at the film for it. I otherwise liked the social commentary in the film, which made those few lines really stick out. The joke wasn't even executed well.
Is it false though? haha

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Buffalo '66
(1998)

In this Hof which was full of great movies, Buffalo 66 was my favorite surprise. I really admire this film and liked everything about it. It's so well put together, and it does everything right. It's smart, it's fresh, it's intelligent, it's very will written with dialogue that sounds so refreshingly natural. It builds a unique world that we get to visit. That world is very familiar and yet different enough to make this intimate look at two dysfunctional, but good people, very interesting.

It was impressive the way Billy responded to the world around him, he's strange yet weirdly likable. Well at first he's not likable, but he does have humanistic qualities that balance his stranger side...and that says a lot about him and the script. He doesn't seem like some movie character, he seems real. The opening scene where he's let out of prison but wants back in to use the bathroom was well done as it gave insight into Billy, I think must of us could relate to his frustration over not finding a bathroom.

I'd never heard of Vincent Gallo before this Hof and I have no idea as to why some people hate the actor. I thought about reading on the internet about him, but didn't. Not that it would matter as he gave one helluva a performance, creating a character that was in many ways like a repressed child. He lashes out, but he means no harm, he just doesn't no any better. I felt for him when he told his story how he had loved only one girl his entire life, and...she didn't even know it, he's lived a sad lonely life and only wants his parents to notice him...but there to engrossed in themselves.

Christiana Ricci, was also very good in this. She too is like a child and her character reminded me of Lolita (1962) I wonder if that's why she was named Layla? She has this baby doll look and even though she's clearly a woman she acts and looks like a young girl, she too is odd, but still likable.

I was totally blown away by the body language that both she and Vincent showed in many of the scenes. Their body positions speaks volumes about the mentality of both characters, this is just one example...Vincent does the 'pulling into himself' body stance through out the movie and it helps make this movie special. Christian too does this pigeon toed leg position in many of the senses, which further adds to her baby doll Lolita person.

The cinematography was gritty and yet focused it was never overly fancy and yet gave us a you-are-there feel. Loved the shooting locations, the run down suburban town, the bowling alley, the parents house and Denny's too.

*I have more to say but my computer is acting weird and I don't want to lose this post, so I'm posting now but will come back and finish it.

I've been trying to get you to view this for over a year! I'm so glad you saw it, and liked it!

Can't wait to hear the rest

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring / 봄여름가을겨울그리고봄 (2003)
Dir. Kim Ki-duk
Starring: Yeong-su Oh, Jae-kyung Seo, Kim Young-Min

The visuals in Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, ...and Spring are very beautiful and deliberate, which enhance the natural splendour of the landscape. The pace is incredibly slow with minimal dialogue, allowing audiences time to contemplate the film's philosophical and spiritual content. While the film is overtly Buddhist, the moral lessons contained within are universally understood and accessible, even if some of the visual symbolism will be lost on viewers without much knowledge of the religion's lore.

Warning: the rest of this review contains spoilers.

While most of the film is very calming and easy to watch, the abundance of animal cruelty in the opening Spring segment puts up a huge barrier that is difficult to get past. At first I didn't understand why the old monk would let the little bastard, who was revelling in his sadism with a maniacal laugh, continue to torture these animals when he obviously disapproved of the boy's actions. Ultimately he was allowing the young boy to make his own mistakes and suffer the consequences of those actions, something the boy would carry with him for the rest of his life, as evident in the Winter segment. While I like the lesson that was learned, I don't think it warranted or made up for the abuse those animals really endured.

One thing I noticed, and thought was a little clever was when the old monk warned his apprentice about the dangers of his lust during Summer. He tells the boy that it will lead to the desire to possess, and ultimately to murder. What he doesn't warn the boy about, is that after perpetuating the cycle of life and death (by committing murder), Buddhists believe that the next step is a craving to no longer experience the world and the pain that comes with it. This eventually manifests itself during the Autumn segment, when the young man attempts a suicide ritual after murdering his wife. The old monk is continuing to let the younger man discover lessons by himself, reflecting the importance of self-discovery that is very prevalent in Buddhism.

While I particularly enjoyed the Autumn and Winter segments, I really wish this film had ended after Winter. The final Spring segment was completely unnecessary, as Winter already cemented the concept of the cyclical nature of life, and the cycle of death and rebirth. Showing the former apprentice taking on the role of his master with the orphaned boy as his pupil was a little redundant, because this was already heavily implied to be the case during Winter. The only thing I liked about the final segment was very minor, and that was the fact that the shrine doors and temple had been repainted. These final scenes just seemed like a conduit for more animal suffering, even in the edited version of the film which still shows the sequence with the turtle. After surpassing the cruelty at the start of the film, these final scenes drag the film back down into repulsive territory, ending on a very bitter note instead of an enlightened one.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	30670  

I'm now at 11/16. Two of the remaining 5 are rewatches, but I remember so little about them that they'd might as well be new to me, haha. I think I might go with Broken Circle Breakdown next. I want to get at least one more write-up done this weekend.

I completely forgot to look for Forbidden Games, but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Just in case it takes me awhile to post a proper write-up for Broken Circle Breakdown, here's my preliminary review:

The IT Crowd; LOOOVE that show!!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Define Bittersweet?

@SilentVamp posted several reviews to read and I haven't seen any of the movies so I have to wait, or rather, get to actually watching them so that I CAN read them!

The most loathsome of all goblins

The Marriage of Maria Braun

I'm not fully sure what to make of this one, the opening scene made me think it was a black comedy of sorts but then it turned into a tale of a woman using her cunning (and her looks) to get through hard times. I can't say I found Maria to be particularly likable, but she was certainly interesting and Schygulla's performance was strong throughout. At times she was sympathetic, other times I felt as if she was a nasty femme fatale that needed a good plugging. I was more amused by the ending than anything else, not sure what that says about me.

What stuck out to me the most was the lighting and photography, which was beautiful. I read that the film's cinematographer Michael Ballhaus died a little over a month ago, very sad. His work on the film is commendable.

All in all I liked it, although from the poster I expected it to be more titillating. Instead I found myself feeling somewhat disgusted but never bored.

6.5/10

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
Dir. Felix Van Groeningen
Starring: Johan Heldenbergh, Veerle Baetens, Nell Cattrysse

The Broken Circle Breakdown is a story about a pair of star-crossed lovers, whose relationship is tested when their daughter is diagnosed with cancer. The plot is fairly simple, but has an emotional complexity as it swings back and forth between times when the couple were madly in love, and the devastation wrought upon their lives from their daughter's illness. These jumps in time are easy to follow, and create a roller-coaster-like effect that I think is more effective than if the story was told from a linear perspective.

Throughout the film, there are many musical interludes featuring the main characters' bluegrass band. They never felt forced and made sense from a storytelling perspective, however as someone who greatly dislikes all forms of country music, I felt that they often went on for far too long. The music is an important element in the characters' lives and their relationship, and I get that it was meant to enhance the feeling of certain scenes, but more often than not the music took me completely out of the film instead.

Despite not caring for the soundtrack, I still found the film to be very engaging, thanks to the performances and chemistry between the main actors. I did like the first half of the film more than the last, due to the emotional highs and lows being more pronounced at the start, whereas towards the end it just became very tragic without having many light-hearted or romantic scenes to contrast against. I really felt for the ending, even though I knew the film was heading down that route. I'm usually rather detached when it comes to highly dramatic and romantic films, so I commend Broken Circle Breakdown for drawing me in and evoking a response. I definitely never would have watched this if it wasn't nominated, so despite the devastation I'm glad I saw it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	30707  

I've been trying to get you to view this for over a year! I'm so glad you saw it, and liked it!

Can't wait to hear the rest
Ah, I see you have Buffalo 66 in your Top 10, I remember you saying how much you like it.

The one thing that I didn't say in my review was: I found the film truly funny at times. And the humor isn't the obvious kind, but realistic humor that comes from real life. In a way Buffalo 66 kind of reminds me of one your other favorites Harry and Tonto.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ah, I see you have Buffalo 66 in your Top 10, I remember you saying how much you like it.

The one thing that I didn't say in my review was: I found the film truly funny at times. And the humor isn't the obvious kind, but realistic humor that comes from real life. In a way Buffalo 66 kind of reminds me of one your other favorites Harry and Tonto.
Both are hilarious, and I can't think of more than a few movies I thought were funny... What similarities did you see?

Both films are about people who don't fit into 'society's norm' and so they take a quest to find themselves. Their life's journey or quest starts after finding themselves in dire situations.

Harry finds himself with no place to live and so that sets him on a journey that I guess you can say heals him...or at least he discovers more to life than what was in his apartment.

Billy in Buffalo 66 is also cast adrift from his time in prison and wants to be right with his family and yet his family don't give a rats ass about him, just like Harry's family didn't really care about him. Billy in the end does get some closure and a better life too.

I'd say both films have the same style of film making, to me they feel similar. Both have a style that seems to me honest and personal, but not grandiose or overly cinematic. Both avoid being just entertainment or going for the super dramatic moments. Yeah, I really liked Buffalo 66 a lot and I would rate it a