Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm pretty sure you're going to love Bus Stop, GBG.
I liked Bus Stop, but I didn't love it. I think part of the problem for me was that Don Murray's character was so unlikable that I didn't want Marilyn to end up with him at the end of the movie. Most rom-coms are predictable, but it usually works because we want to see the characters end up together. It just didn't work for me because he didn't deserve her.

You mentioned Don Murray and Hope Lange, I don't know if you're aware of this, but they fell in love during the filming of Bus Stop and later married.
Yes, I did know that, but only because I watched the movie on Turner Classic Movies, and Ben Mankiewicz mentioned it in his comments after the movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Jericho (2000)
Director: Merlin Miller
Cast: Mark Valley, Leon Coffee, R. Lee Ermey
Genre: Indie, Western

On the eve that a high dollar bank payroll is coming into town a mysterious sheriff (Mark Valley) arrives to take charge of the payroll...Three strangers also arrive with robbery on their mind. When the robbery happens one man is killed and the other three escape on the train, only one of the three is presumed dead and is dumped from the moving train. When a ex slave turned preacher (Leon Coffee) finds the man, he nurses him back to health and takes him under his wing. Slowly facts arise that lead to the mysterious man being a gun slinger and outlaw.

Jericho, was made on a small budget but don't let that fool you into thinking the film isn't worth the time to watch. It is. Filmed on location in
Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, the film looks good. The old west looks old and the towns look like old western towns. The two leads who are virtually unknown both turn in a good performance. I especially like the simply, let twisting story that hearkens back to westerns made in the 1940s. And I liked Leon Coffee who was very personable and natural on screen. Jericho is his only second acting credit, he was working as a professional rodeo clown, but I thought he made the film very likeable.

I haven't seen anything with Mark Valley yet where I didn't find him annoying. There's just something very unlikable about him no matter how likable the character is supposed to be.

I liked Bus Stop, but I didn't love it. I think part of the problem for me was that Don Murray's character was so unlikable that I didn't want Marilyn to end up with him at the end of the movie. Most rom-coms are predictable, but it usually works because we want to see the characters end up together. It just didn't work for me because he didn't deserve her.
I understand your feelings regarding Don Murray's character...the first time I watched the film, I remember actually being disappointed that Cherie actually fell for Bo because it sort of sent the message that Bo was totally entitled to anything he wanted...he wanted Cherie, snap, he got her...I think a much more interesting story could have been told if Cherie had walked away and that Bo learned that he can't have anything he wants just because he wants it.

Originally Posted by Citizen [SIZE=6
The Big Country [/size](William Wyler,1958)
This is the first review I've read of this film and I've never seen it either, but it begs a question. This film was released the same year as Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Burl Ives won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for this film rather than Cat, assuming that you've seen Cat, was he really better in this than he was in Cat?

This is the first review I've read of this film and I've never seen it either, but it begs a question. This film was released the same year as Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Burl Ives won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for this film rather than Cat, assuming that you've seen Cat, was he really better in this than he was in Cat?
I've seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (great film). But I much prefer his performance in The Big Country as it's much more meatier and in depth. I think you'd like The Big Country, it's not a shoot-em-up western, it's very heavy on drama and character development. If you like Gregory Peck and Burl Ives you should give it a watch.

I've seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (great film). But I much prefer his performance in The Big Country as it's much more meatier and in depth. I think you'd like The Big Country, it's not a shoot-em-up western, it's very heavy on drama and character development. If you like Gregory Peck and Burl Ives you should give it a watch.
Thanks Citizen, you're the first person I know who has seen The Big Country and I 've always been curious about him winning the Oscar for that instead of Cat. I will be adding The Big Country to my watchlist...besides, it has Jean Simmons and I LOVE her.

Serena (2014)
Director: Susanne Bier
Cast: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Sean Harris
Genre: Drama, Romantic, Action, Period Piece

My rating
Loved your review, Citizen...don\'t hold back, how did you really feel about the movie? I had this one on my watchlist, but I'm re-thinking that now.

You should watch it Gideon If for no other reason to see if I was accurate in my review or not. It's based on a novel (that I didn't read). I gather from other reviews that the novel is very soap opera-ish. So the movie is kind of like that too. Anyway if you review it I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

I'm generally not a fan of Tim Robbins because I find him unlikable in most of his movies, but I kind of liked him in this movie. I also liked the other two main characters, which made it easy for this movie to draw me into the story and care about the characters.

I also liked the ending because they didn't just take the easy way out with the predictable happy ending of two of the main characters ending up together.

I was shocked at what you said about Tim Robbins...I think he has one of the most likable screen personas out there, but I think he is often cast AGAINST that persona and that might be why he comes off as unlikable.

You should watch it Gideon If for no other reason to see if I was accurate in my review or not. It's based on a novel (that I didn't read). I gather from other reviews that the novel is very soap opera-ish. So the movie is kind of like that too. Anyway if you review it I would be interested in your thoughts on it.
I didn't lift that quote from the post correctly, Citzen...it was actually something GBG said about The Lucky Ones...sorry if I confused you.

Platoon
(Oliver Stone 1986)

Director: Oliver Stone
Writer: Oliver Stone
Cast: Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe
Genre: War, Action, Drama

Oliver Stone's
opus to the Vietnam war, earned him two Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Director. As Vietnam war movies go, Platoon is considered by many to be one of the best made. The movie even inspired a successful TV show, Tour of Duty (1987-1990)

Platoon follows a young, idealistic man (Charlie Sheen) who believes it's his duty to enlist in the army infantry and fight in the Vietnam war, circa 1967. Within days of arriving in Nam he finds the war is not as clear cut as he had imaged...and he starts doubting everything he has believed in. His platoon is filled with men who have been pushed to the edge by the horrors of war, causing some of the men to become dangerous to those around them. As his tour of duty progresses he becomes more entangled in the meaning of right and wrong, and the young private (Charlie Sheen) finds himself at odds with the platoons blood thirsty sergeant (Tom Berenger).

Platoon is gut wrenching, it's violent, it's written and directed by Oliver Stone who served in Vietnam. The film has had tons of praised heaped upon it, in large part thanks Oliver Stone's graphically poignant message. Stone compresses the Vietnam war experience into a two hour movie that tells the story of a young solider over the course of two weeks. In those two weeks the American soldiers commit just about every atrocity possible on the poor Vietnamese villagers. And these atrocities did happen, all wars have atrocities, committed by all sides...Much of the atrocities were committed by the North Viet Cong forces against their own people. This is eluded to in the film but never shown, and it should have been covered.

Platoon
opens with a beautifully done sequence showing the freshly arrived, green as hell Charlie Sheen out on jungle patrol with some of his men. This scene really nailed what it would be like to be scared and confused as hell in the middle of a jungle, not even being able to see the enemy. That first scene plays out like a documentary and one could believe you were watching found footage from an actual jungle patrol. If the rest of the movie would have followed this philosophy, it would be the greatest of the Vietnam movies.

The final all out battle, which shows the North Vietnamese attacking in mass, against a handful of U.S. army men dug into fox holes, was pretty spectacular...though the scene of the day after the battle, had bodies strewn every couple feet, and yet during the battle we only see a handful of Americans and VC fighting. Overall one of the best films about the Vietnam war.

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	27405  

The 33 (2015)
Director: Patricia Riggen
Cast: Antonio Banderas, Rodrigo Santoro, Juliette Binoche
Genre: Biography, Drama, History

About: Based on the actual 2010 Chilean mining disaster that caused a collapse of an 120 year old gold mine, trapping 33 miners, 2000 feet underground for 69 days, with little hope of survival.

Review: This is real, it really happened. It might seem amazing that 33 men could be trapped over 2000 feet below the ground, covered by many tons of solid rock...and survive there for 69 days. But it's true. The movie is basically all about the disaster and the heroic efforts to rescue the men. We of course see the men in the cave as that's where much of the movie takes place. But we also see the rescue effort and the emotional toll that the accident takes on the family members who gather at the mine and stay there until their love ones are rescued.

I thought this was well done, nothing too fancy, as nothing fancy is needed. It was a nice touch that the movie had a short scene at the end that introduced the real miners to us. I know one thing, mining is dangerous!

Agree with the rating, Rules. An engaging movie, but could have been better in some respects considering the miraculousness of the story.

I would've liked a bit more focus on some details of survival in The 33.
For instance, the guy who was trying to filter some kind of liquid - what was it and where did it come from? Was it water from the rocks, condensation, urine? They glossed over some interesting stuff.

Feel free to read the Spoilers section...
http://www.movieforums.com/community...05#post1554234

Agree with the rating, Rules. An engaging movie, but could have been better in some respects considering the miraculousness of the story.

I would've liked a bit more focus on some details of survival in The 33.
For instance, the guy who was trying to filter some kind of liquid - what was it and where did it come from? Was it water from the rocks, condensation, urine? They glossed over some interesting stuff.

Feel free to read the Spoilers section...
http://www.movieforums.com/community...05#post1554234
Yes I too wondered about the very brief water filter scene. They said that he made a filter but it would have been cool to see how he did it. Have you seen any other mine cave in movies. Ace In the Hole (1951) is probably the most famous.

Edit: I just read your post and spoiler. I think the movie took dramatic liberties in suggesting the men fought with each other and especially in the Bolivian thinking he was going to be eaten. I don't buy it.

Yes I too wondered about the very brief water filter scene. They said that he made a filter but it would have been cool to see how he did it. Have you seen any other mine cave in movies. Ace In the Hole (1951) is probably the most famous.

Edit: I just read your post and spoiler. I think the movie took dramatic liberties in suggesting the men fought with each other and especially in the Bolivian thinking he was going to be eaten. I don't buy it.
Thinking of being eaten is a bit unrealistic, but it was said that the Bolivian felt like an outsider and took some guff from the Chileans on his first day.

I'm still wondering about the jewelry. If that was true, the only thing I can think is it was because they were doing the filming with the camera to communicate with their families and they wanted to look good? But really? Gold chains? None of them had them when they were shirtless and on the verge of dying, so they must have come from the surface - but did they actually request them?

"Yeah, send us down some water, lots of drinkable water, some food, maybe some beef jerky stuff like that, ya know; high protein, won't spoil... some fresh flash lights, some sneakers because our boots have holes in them, some toilet paper and uh... let's see... oh yeah... GOLD CHAINS! Send a whole bunch of GOLD CHAINS so the guys can look macho, you know? And like a whole bunch of them so each guy can have a whole bunch because a guy just doesn't feel like a guy without his gold chains and a whole honking lot of them around his neck!"