The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Are you saying MoFos are '70s challenged? Maybe people voted by preference rather than by some more objective standard.
Just saying I'm surprised it made top 20; did others expect it to? I also think it's what makes the list fun, so it's not a complaint.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Stanley Kubrick, whose Shining took the top spot in our ‘80s List, enters the ‘70s list at number sixteen. It was only on twenty lists, but fifteen of them were top tens: one first, two third, a fifth, a sixth, four seventh, two eighth, and three tenth place votes. Quite impressive, indeed. Mel Brooks’ second film on the countdown (#33 Blazing Saddles) was on twenty-seven MoFo lists, with eight top tens: a ninth, an eighth, a seventh, a fifth, two third placers, and two MoFos gave Young Frankenstein their full 25-point first place nod, bringing the comedy to life in the top fifteen, Abby Normal brain or no.

Barry Lyndon narrowly missed my cut, but Young Frankenstein (“That’s Fonk-in-Steen”) was way up high as my number five overall pick! That makes seventeen of my choices.

3. Nashville (43)
5. Young Frankenstein (15)
7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (22)
8. Little Big Man (61)
9. The Conversation (18)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (81)
12. The Long Goodbye (19)
13. Breaking Away (95)
15. Days of Heaven (29)
16. Solaris (39)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (94)
18. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (21)
19. MASH (78)
20. Don’t Look Now (72)
21. Monty Python’s Life of Brian (41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (47)

Barry Lyndon is glorious. Shot to #7 on my list when I saw it just before the deadline, and could have moved up significantly had I rewatched it. Kubrick made that film so unutterably beautiful and exciting that the lack of substantial plot, even in a 3-hour film, becomes unimportant. To repeat an admittedly overused cliche, every frame is a painting. But the characters are great too, as are the performances, and you can be drawn into the world so completely if you are willing to give yourself over. I was completely immersed for all 180 minutes. Love, love, love it.

1. Annie Hall
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Network
4. Hausu
6. Harold and Maude
7. Barry Lyndon
9. Carrie
13. Being There
14. Blazing Saddles
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
19. Walkabout
21. The Conversation
22. A Woman Under the Influence
25. Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Barry Lyndon is orgasmic visually and maybe my favourite Kubrick film

Haven't seen the other one. I will, but I want to watch some oldschool horrors first to get the references in this parody, if there are any.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My official top 14 prediction:

14. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
13. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
12. Rocky
11. The Exorcist
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
9. Alien
8. A Clockwork Orange
7. Jaws
6. Chinatown
5. Apocalypse Now
4. The Godfather Part II
3. Taxi Driver
2. Star Wars
1. The Godfather

Haven't seen [Young Frankenstein]. I will, but I want to watch some oldschool horrors first to get the references in this parody, if there are any.
Yes, for sure. Watch the original James Whale classics Frankenstein (1931) and The Bride of Frankenstein (1935). There are many, many direct references, of course. But it also plays well if you have never seen those films. For example, perhaps my favorite single scene is when the Monster (Peter Boyle) is taken in by the Blind Hermit (Gene Hackman). You need not know it is a comic exaggeration of the scene from Bride of Frankenstein to laugh like Hell at it. "Wait, where are you going? I was gonna make espresso."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Looks like I had Barry Lyndon as number 7. Higher than Aguirre (9). Perhaps I was too hasty making this list. :P

Seen both movies, but only voted for Young Frankenstein. Barry Lyndon is good, but toward the bottom of my favorite Kubrick films. Young Frankenstein while not my favorite Mel Brooks comedy, was worthy enough for the number 21 spot. Then again I am the guy who prefers Blazing Saddles to it.

Seen 69/86

My list: 12

3. Stalker (20)
4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
21. Young Frankenstein (15)
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

Watch Barry Lyndon once long ago. It has been the Kubrick film I've given the least attention to, even though I'd rank it way ahead of The Shining and ahead of Full Metal Jacket. Oh well.

I had Young Frankenstein on my list at, let me check, at number 15. Hey, the same as its place on the countdown. I love it. It's far and away my favorite Mel Brooks movie, as most of his films are way too uneven. I think Gene Wilder's contribution helps make it more solid all the way through. The supporting cast is great and all are at their best, with a special nod to Peter Boyle.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
13. The Conversation (#18)
14. The French Connection (#31)
15. Young Frankenstein (#15)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
22. Network (#32)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

I had Young Frankenstein on my list at, let me check, at number 15. Hey, the same as its place on the countdown. I love it. It's far and away my favorite Mel Brooks movie, as most of his films are way too uneven. I think Gene Wilder's contribution helps make it more solid all the way through. The supporting cast is great and all are at their best, with a special nod to Peter Boyle.
The role Marty Feldman was born to play, clearly ("What hump?"). And don't forget the ladies! Teri Garr is wonderful ("He'd have an enormous schwanzschtucker."), Madeline Kahn her usual magnificence ("Taffeta, Darling."), and then of course Cloris Leachman as Frau Blücher ("Ovaltine?").

The role Marty Feldman was born to play, clearly ("What hump?"). And don't forget the ladies! Teri Garr is wonderful ("He'd have an enormous schwanzschtucker."), Madeline Kahn her usual magnificence ("Taffeta, Darling."), and then of course Cloris Leachman as Frau Blücher ("Ovaltine?").
Oy vey, I meant to give the special nod to Marty Feldman. (Not that Peter Boyle isn't great in it as well.) And Teri Garr....mmm! She and Madeline Kahn are great.

I like Young Frankenstein, it's decent with a few funny bits but I don't get the love for it, maybe I will in the future but I'm not sure that after two films that I get the Mel Brooks love.

Barry Lyndon is great, could have made the bottom of my list but didn't, outstanding film from a directorial viewpoint that shows what a master Kubrick was. Not a favourite yet but it could be in the future.

I'm not crazy about period pieces in general, but I really like Barry Lyndon. It's an impressive movie.

I've preferred Blazing Saddles over Young Frankenstein for most of my life, but that has flipped in recent years. Young Frankenstein was one of my most difficult cuts.

Barry Lyndon was 10th on my list, making it the 11th film from my list to appear on here. Probably my second favourite Kubrick film. I haven't seen Young Frankenstein in a while, but I remember liking it a lot.