The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I think we should all stop pretending that #1 is anything but Death Wish starring Charles Bronson and directed by Michael "Calm down dear!" Winner.

Reviews

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
"Attica!! Attica!! Attica!!" Great movie and Pacino is awesome. Love that his captives become his defenders. I wonder if Norma Rae will make the top 25.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
If you are seriously wondering if Norma Rae is making the 25 you are delusional to even think that
Well, I did just have several shots of chocolate milk so.....

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
LOVE Dog Day, but sadly, not enough to make the list

Harold & Maude was #4 and so many others have already expressed they very why's of it from subject matter to dialogue and yes, hearing cat stevens for the sound track was an EXCELLENT addition to everything else

Doesn't he actually tend to post early on Friday's? "I'll be busy this weekend, so here they are...." He could post tonight after midnight.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes, I am at a bar, tonight. And these are really a couple of midnight movies, anyway.

Even up this high on the list (and higher!) there were numerical ties. Both Eraserhead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre amassed a very healthy 279 points. David Lynch’s debut feature was on twenty-one lists with eight top ten votes: a second, a third, a fourth, a fifth, two sixth, a seventh, and a ninth. Tobe Hooper’s Massacre also had eight top tens – a first place, a third, two fifth, a seventh, and three eight placers, but was on twenty-six total lists. By being on five more lists, it finishes one spot higher than the Lynchiness, and starts us on the top twenty-five.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-21-23-14-02.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	16755  

Both were on my list, Eraserhead at #14 and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre at #16.

Dog Day Afternoon barely missed my list. It's a great movie and one of my favorite performances by Pacino. The fact that it's based on a true story makes it even more compelling and emotionally resonant.

I've wanted to see Harold and Maude for years, but still haven't gotten around to it. I was beginning to wonder if it was going to show up at all. Hal Ashby had one film on my list, but unfortunately it didn't make the countdown.

Since everyone else is doing this, I'll join in:
1.) Definite Top 5, Possibly Top 3, Outside Chance at #1
2.) Definite Top 3, My Dark Horse Favorite for #1
3.) Top 10
4.) The Last Picture Show (#64 on the Countdown)
5.) Coming Soon
6.) Coming Soon
7.) Possible Top 10, Definite Top 15
8.) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94 on the Countdown)
9.) Nashville (#43 on the Countdown)
10.) The Holy Mountain (#93 on the Countdown)
11.) Paper Moon (#74 on the Countdown)
12.) Coming Soon
13.) Five Easy Pieces (#53 on the Countdown)
14.) Never Had A Chance
15.) Surprised & Disappointed That It Didn't Make It
16.) Never Had A Chance
17.) Definite Top 10, Possibly Top 5
18.) Solaris (#39 on the Countdown)
19.) Its Chances Were Slim To Begin With, Would've Shown Up Very Early On If It Had Made It
20.) People Are Still Predicting That It Will Show, But I Gave Up A Long Time Ago
21.) Definite Top 10
22.) Straw Dogs (#83 on the Countdown)
23.) The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49 on the Countdown)
24.) Mean Streets (#77 on the Countdown)
25.) The Hal Ashby Film I Referred To Earlier; Very Surprised It Didn't Make the Countdown

Let the night air cool you off
Delicious set this one is. I voted for both of these atrocities. Eraserhead at #7 and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre at #22.

My list now:

7. Eraserhead (#26)
9. Suspiria (#65)
10. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (#84)
13. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
15. Hausu (#76)
22. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
23. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
25. Zombie (DNP)

Despite my jesting earlier about being the leader of the "Lynch Mob," the only David Lynch movie I've actually seen is Mulholland Drive - and it certainly doesn't make me want to watch more.

I hated The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
4. Harold and Maude (#27)
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
10. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)